Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
Hikaru0966
You seem very convinceing, what is it that sopa would do exactly? What changes would bring huge effect because im still a bit confused on sopa. Could you tell me exactly so i have a better idea and i could finally make my choice. biggrin

If SOPA passes, it means that if even a user posts copyrighted material, Gaia could be held accountable and sued. Lawsuits could lead to the end of Gaia so if it passes, Gaia would have to protect itself. Every post on here would probably end up monitored to make sure that a user couldn't post something that could backfire on this site. I'd also imagine that it would mean that a lot of the items we have come to love that is based on anything from movies, games, etc could very well be pulled just to be safe. It would very much feel like our freedom of speech was taken away, or heck, even our free will. But it wouldn't be Gaia's fault. Gaia would have to protect itself just like any other website would if SOPA passes. sad

Chatty Humorist

I hate both with a passion.

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
Meeki
Hikaru0966
You seem very convinceing, what is it that sopa would do exactly? What changes would bring huge effect because im still a bit confused on sopa. Could you tell me exactly so i have a better idea and i could finally make my choice. biggrin

If SOPA passes, it means that if even a user posts copyrighted material, Gaia could be held accountable and sued. Lawsuits could lead to the end of Gaia so if it passes, Gaia would have to protect itself. Every post on here would probably end up monitored to make sure that a user couldn't post something that could backfire on this site. I'd also imagine that it would mean that a lot of the items we have come to love that is based on anything from movies, games, etc could very well be pulled just to be safe. It would very much feel like our freedom of speech was taken away, or heck, even our free will. But it wouldn't be Gaia's fault. Gaia would have to protect itself just like any other website would if SOPA passes. sad

Are you serious eek SOPA CAN GO TO HELL, I LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE DX I VOTE NO TO SOPA evil

Unbeatable Lover

7,450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Generous 100
          I am greatly against SOPA. Like many others, I'm not even in the U.S.A. I live in Canada. I'm not saying this isn't going to affect me. It makes me terribly mad. Stuff like this is due to the fact those people in higher positions believe it to be true.

Let's think rationally about this here: If all of this is against the law, AND is one of the worst things... well, let's put 2 and 2 together. Obviously, something worse is going to pop up.

Personally, I'd rather have this than something that can be worse. After all, would you like this or something like 'if you ever see boobs again you will be tossed in jail!'.

See what I mean?

Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I strongly against SOPA and made a thread about it, I was against it when it was first introduced and still am.
Would be great if you could list this in the info as well.

Say no to SOPA!!

SOPA, PIPA - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

Moonlight Survivor

9,500 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Survivor 150
I'm not from USA,but i'm against SOPA badly. People say that they wouldn't be able to make their fanart or download their stuff,but it's worse;do you think they'd let us make references? Not even a over 9k joke,because some butthurt company wants their monies! >:U

Down with SOPA and PIPA! For the internet!~*waves sign around*
I'm against Sopa as well

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
Hanne n_n1
      I totally agree with you, I don't even live in the USA and even I'm afraid of SOPA being passed..
      Gaia is a great way to get to know good people, even if they live miles away. If two people lives far away from each other, doesn't mean they can't become friends..
      If Sopa passes, and Gaia changes, I don't know how I'll react, but I won't be happy

So I thumb up this thread, because it is telling the truth

Exactly! 98% of the Christmas cards I mailed out last month were sent to friends I made on this community. While we keep in touch through facebook and such, it doesn't change the fact that we met through Gaia Online. This is our home.

I won't be happy if Gaia changes but I do understand that if they do, it's because they had no choice and I will support it, but I won't be happy at my government. sad

Demonic Wolf

9,575 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Hanne n_n1
      I totally agree with you, I don't even live in the USA and even I'm afraid of SOPA being passed..
      Gaia is a great way to get to know good people, even if they live miles away. If two people lives far away from each other, doesn't mean they can't become friends..
      If Sopa passes, and Gaia changes, I don't know how I'll react, but I won't be happy

So I thumb up this thread, because it is telling the truth

Amen! *huggles Hanne desperately* ;w;

Shirtless Gawker

7,400 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I am completely against SOPA.

I believe everyone is entitled to free speech. The government is fighting copyright infringement all wrong by doing this. I completely love reading fanfics and being in roleplays that branch off of a series, and I feel like SOPA would take that away from me. :/

I seriously hope Congress does not pass this bill. The Internet just wouldn't be the same, and Gaia would suffer, along with many other favorite websites. If it passes, I think the Internet will just fail because so many sites wouldn't be the same.

Anxious Pumpkin

9,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Jack-pot 100
I'm against SOPA!

Ruthless Phantom

Meeki

Would you be alright with me copying your signature? I think it is so clever and I would love to use it as another way of protesting."
contact your superiors and deny this bill!

Devoted Saint

I am against SOPA. My sister lived in China for a few years, and she could not use a lot of sites on the internet, most of which were community based. ( I know she could not use facebook there) - and she had to be careful what she wrote she told me. sweatdrop I just don't see what good can come from this...

Greedy Capitalist

I'm against SOPA/PIPA.
But this whole Reddit blackout thing is starting to piss me off, I might need to get a life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff