Welcome to Gaia! ::

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
If a woman is pregnant within the first trimester with measles, the flu or chickenpox the baby has a 50% chance of developing Schizophrenia.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I am sorry that I don't have the numbers on passing down mental disorders. I do know that there could be a good chance of passing it down. My grandfather was a schizophrenic and he had passed it down to me. Not all schizophrenics are violent. I am not violent and I have paranoid schizophrenia. I understand your concern but all I can say if you do have a child and they devlope schizophrenia or even any other brain disorder, it won't be your fault. No one wants to pass down a issue such as schizophrenia. It just happens and you really can't do anything about it. If you do have kids, love them more than air because they are yours.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
cazzy x3
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
cazzy x3
eh, for me? My schizophrenia was all genetics. I'm the paranoid-type - as was my father. My mom possibly has it, but definitely not the paranoid type.

But yeah, there's my two-cents. :3 ! x
how deo u know it was all genetics, when did your first psychosis occur and what sort of diet did you have an dhow much sleep were you getting around the time it occured and do you live in a polluted area or no and is your family stressful?

I was psychotic since I was 3. And the docs realized I was different early on, as did teachers. But they diagnosed me when I was 12.
lol.

And I lived a very healthy life, thankyou very much. lol xD
Psychotic how?

Why are you derailing the discussion?

Schizophrenia is factually genetically influenced. If you can't find how much so on Google, the statistics possibly don't exist. I imagine this being due to how complex genetics can get. We aren't talking about you factually having it, but a relative of yours. Ergo, you might not carry the genes for it. At the same time, what are the odds your partner has the genes? That plays a role in the likelihood of your child getting it. Further, it is surely not a single gene that causes it, so do you have all of them? Some? And does your partner have the ones you don't?

It's hard to put a number on it. I think the best you can hope for is knowing whether or not your child has a >50% chance of developing it, and the best place I can imagine you can look for finding that out is merely looking at what percentage of your family has it.

Greedy Consumer

Project Light
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
cazzy x3
Ryu Kei Shou Kawazu
cazzy x3
eh, for me? My schizophrenia was all genetics. I'm the paranoid-type - as was my father. My mom possibly has it, but definitely not the paranoid type.

But yeah, there's my two-cents. :3 ! x
how deo u know it was all genetics, when did your first psychosis occur and what sort of diet did you have an dhow much sleep were you getting around the time it occured and do you live in a polluted area or no and is your family stressful?

I was psychotic since I was 3. And the docs realized I was different early on, as did teachers. But they diagnosed me when I was 12.
lol.

And I lived a very healthy life, thankyou very much. lol xD
Psychotic how?

Why are you derailing the discussion?

Schizophrenia is factually genetically influenced. If you can't find how much so on Google, the statistics possibly don't exist. I imagine this being due to how complex genetics can get. We aren't talking about you factually having it, but a relative of yours. Ergo, you might not carry the genes for it. At the same time, what are the odds your partner has the genes? That plays a role in the likelihood of your child getting it. Further, it is surely not a single gene that causes it, so do you have all of them? Some? And does your partner have the ones you don't?

It's hard to put a number on it. I think the best you can hope for is knowing whether or not your child has a >50% chance of developing it, and the best place I can imagine you can look for finding that out is merely looking at what percentage of your family has it.
environment plays a larger factor in most cases. And when I responded with that question I had my reasons obviously. Even if its off topic to the thread it might be relevant to her.

Genius

5,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I don't think schizophrenia is entirely genetic, however genetics most likely do play a part. My mother has schizophrenia, I'm not sure to what extent. We do know my grandmother had an infection in the second trimester of her pregnancy with her, which might have been a factor. She started to show signs at an early age of eleven. They also think it could have been due to an abusive home life and stressful divorce going on at the time. She also did many different drugs in her teenage years, thats when it got bad. I was raised by my grandparents. I have never touched drugs or alcohol. However i have gone through quite a bit of stress. Im only 16 but im hoping that i don't have it. so far i dont think i do, and dont think i will...

Amorous Visionary

17,400 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
if you have schizophrenia there is a 50% chance your kids will get it.
did your brother smoke weed before getting schizophrenia. there is actually a specific gene that causes schizophrenia but it's only triggered if the person does weed. the gene is triggered by THC or something. and if your brain does not get THC you will not develop schizophrenia.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Blissful_pain
My boyfriend has been starting to talk about having kids. It's something I haven't had to think about and I was never really sure if it was something I wanted. I've never been in a relationship long enough for that to actually be a topic of discussion. But it's a scary topic for me because quite a few mental disorders run in my family (Bipolar and such). But what I'm most concerned about is schizophrenia. My brother was recently diagnosed with it, as well as my great aunt in the past. My brother had a very violent case of schizophrenia. As I understand people with the disorder aren't actually very violent in most cases, but in his case it was pretty bad.. He has been treated and was released from the safe house a few months ago but he still cannot live on his own.. I am afraid I would pass this disorder to my kids and it's partly why I haven't wanted any until now.
Now other than my brother and my aunt, my mom said that there were a few more paranoid schizophrenics in our family history. I went to my grandparents to get more info on who and how many but they didn't want to talk about it. I was just wondering if any one knew the actual percentage of passing it down if I have had second and first degree relatives with the disorder..?

Any tips or sources, helpful advice, anything is helpful. :]

Get a genetic test done on the both of you to see if you carry the gene for schizophrenia. I'm not sure they offer this yet, but if they can offer a test to see if you carry the genes for small muscular atrophy(sma) then I would assume you can find out about other diseases.

10,050 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Signature Look 250
Stephy-Powers

Get a genetic test done on the both of you to see if you carry the gene for schizophrenia. I'm not sure they offer this yet, but if they can offer a test to see if you carry the genes for small muscular atrophy(sma) then I would assume you can find out about other diseases.

There isn't a currently identified gene (or genes) to test for schizophrenia like there are for other diseases (such as SMA, which is spinal muscular atrophy, so you were pretty close with the name). Right now, family history is the likely the best identification of risk (an odds ratio) for schizophrenia and other mental disorders. It's likely multifactorial - a cause of both genetics and environment, with each playing a part. If you're concerned and you're at the point you'd like to start family planning, talk to your doctor and see a genetic counselor or geneticist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff