Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Conversationalist

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
When a narcissist calls someone else a narcissist is that 'gas lighting'?

Proxy Gawker

8,075 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hardy, har, har! blaugh
My father loves to call me a narcissist.
Who knows, maybe he's right, but he's also delusional. 4laugh
No, that's called projecting.

Demonic Hellraiser

casidy brainbug

why woudl a narcist project his "superiority" complex on someone else? its not seen as a weakness by the owner;
Ratgod
casidy brainbug

why woudl a narcist project his "superiority" complex on someone else? its not seen as a weakness by the owner;
That's not the point. If the narcissist feels like someone else is taking the spotlight or if he feels abused by them (not getting attention or 'respect') he will accuse them of being the narcissist. That is projecting his qualities onto someone else. He's not the narcissist, he's the normal one now being abused by the (not) narcissist.
I don't consider it gas lighting because gas lighting is purposeful. Projecting is unconsciously done.

Demonic Hellraiser

casidy brainbug
Ratgod
casidy brainbug

That's not the point. If the narcissist feels like someone else is taking the spotlight or if he feels abused by them (not getting attention or 'respect') he will accuse them of being the narcissist. That is projecting his qualities onto someone else. He's not the narcissist, he's the normal one now being abused by the (not) narcissist.
I don't consider it gas lighting because gas lighting is purposeful. Projecting is unconsciously done.

gaslighting is usualy done purposely yeah, and also, usualy one programs the target to.. some weakness or "youre a idiot, you cant do anything right" or make them think they lost their mind;

ArcticMars's Husband

Gracious Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Consumer 100
casidy brainbug
Ratgod
casidy brainbug

aye, well said.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces