Welcome to Gaia! ::

DXnobodyX
If your saying self diagnosis is somewhere near measurably equal to diagnosis then your definitely wrong, it is more then just identify disease or conditions (which im sure they could teach koko to do). A diagnosis is a procedure to objectively identify and classify disease to allow medical treatment, performed by a professional.

You're confusing a psychological diagnosis with a medical diagnosis. Naughty.
Dorinkingu
I am very psychologically aware, to the point that therapists have never been very helpful at all. It's their job to figure out what the problem is; I need somebody to help me fix it. sweatdrop

Not to be rude but no. Just no.
SuperVagina
DXnobodyX
SuperVagina
DXnobodyX
SuperVagina

They say we can not self-diagnose or , or try to analyze ourselves, that is in part false, I won't elaborate unless you pm, but I am aware of my problems.

Alot of ppl self diagnose regularly, wether its a diagnosis or not is a different matter. Being aware of your problems is also different to a diagnosis.

If your saying self diagnosis is somewhere near measurably equal to diagnosis then your definitely wrong, it is more then just identify disease or conditions (which im sure they could teach koko to do). A diagnosis is a procedure to objectively identify and classify disease to allow medical treatment, performed by a professional.

Great you know you have autism, but:
Do you know the etiology?
Do you know any other compounded disease?
Do you know the best method of treatment/care?
Have you taken into account the persons profile?
Is the medical evidence indicative of your diagnosis?

You could . If you are going as far as to do self-research , why not look up everything that had to do with what you would believe is your condition. Just to hold back some shock from when a proffessional confirms it to you. and if they don't good for you, but if they do, well atleast you educated yourself on the matter , since it is your life after all. Not everyone does this though, this I know.

Unfortunatly ppl dont have the ability to refer themselves onto medical testing, which provides the evidence for diagnosis. Even supplied with evidence the average jo probably would not suspect that his pancreatic issues where caused by some metastasis of prostate cancer pressing on his hypothalamus. But most importantly of all is the concept of objective analysis.

Ohhhh well i'm not talking about physical problems, those are kinda hard you're right about that, I meant most mental issues or personality disorders you know, if you're abusive and didn't really know it was a real problem, anger issues, self-image issues, split personality issues, I mean, the brain is obviously a powerful thing, if we really tried, we could find our way to self- awareness in most areas, not all but most.

Mental illness is still no exception to an objective analysis.
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

Eh some of the priniciples are the same.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
I am very psychologically aware, to the point that therapists have never been very helpful at all. It's their job to figure out what the problem is; I need somebody to help me fix it. sweatdrop

Hmmmmm?
DXnobodyX
CH1YO
DXnobodyX

Eh some of the priniciples are the same.

They are quite different practices despite their similar terminology.
As someone who is trained in psychology, I am often asked to diagnose - even if play - my friends, and I just won't do it. I can give advice, but other than that it is simply too difficult to accurately diagnose someone you are close to - which includes yourself.

We cannot see ourselves in an unbiased light, and even if we could, we might want to hide from the things that are revealed to us. Even our survival instinct can turn against us when we attempt to accurately see what may be our psychological problems. That isn't to say that we cannot learn to understand ourselves, but (especially if the problem is severe enough) we can almost never really see the full extent of what problems we have.

Also, sometimes the nature of our psychological problems can cloud our own judgement on what may actually be the real problem. For example, if someone is having delusions of grandeur, they cannot truly understand that what is happening to them is a delusion and not a fact of life. When someone is depressed, things look hopeless, and often look insurmountable although they are not.

When it comes to treating our psychological malfunctions and disorders, however, the only one who can actually enact change is ourselves. We must desire to change, and to become better, before any change is possible. Then and only then can we successfully implement any technique or tool which is given by a professional.
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

I'm sorry. I do not understand you. Please use words.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

-_-
I was prompting you to explain yourself.
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

-_-

You misrepresented your psychological awareness and the role of therapy.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

-_-

I know that therapy is there to help, but most of that help is usually in the form of becoming more aware of oneself.

What do you mean I've misrepresented my psychological awareness? >3>
I'll admit that when I was younger, I wasn't quite as aware as I am now. Right now I am quite aware of my mental health and etc though.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

-_-

I know that therapy is there to help, but most of that help is usually in the form of becoming more aware of oneself.

I'll admit that when I was younger, I wasn't quite as aware as I am now. Right now I am quite aware of my mental health and etc though.
Therapy is about far more than self awareness. I would not call it self awareness primarily, but more self control. You can be fully aware of your problems and the way they work and fail to realize how to best manage said problems. Behavioral therapies for stuff like phobias have hardly any relation to self awareness, and they are known to work very well.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
AliKat1988
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

Hmmmmm?

-_-

Therapy is about far more than self awareness. I would not call it self awareness primarily, but more self control. You can be fully aware of your problems and the way they work and fail to realize how to best manage said problems. Behavioral therapies for stuff like phobias have hardly any relation to self awareness, and they are known to work very well.

Ah, yes, I was speaking specifically about counseling.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Dorinkingu
AliKat1988
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

-_-

Which type(s) of counseling are you talking about? There is a difference between cognitive behavioral therapy and having a counselor talk about dealing with stress so you can cope with a personal problem. I can see how dealing with stress might seem less than necessary for dealing a problem, but I cannot see the argument working against cognitive behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder. Therapy for mental illness that is responsive to non-biological treatments acts on more than self awareness. Counseling for stress I think you are right about though, since it seems about on the level of social support.

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
AliKat1988
Dorinkingu
AliKat1988
Dorinkingu
CH1YO
Dorinkingu

-_-

Which type(s) of counseling are you talking about? There is a difference between cognitive behavioral therapy and having a counselor talk about dealing with stress so you can cope with a personal problem.

The type of cut-and-paste counseling that is so common here. They treat you like a fool who doesn't know or understand anything >_<;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff