Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
The Sky Does Not Bow
I think aspergers gets abused a lot by nerds who want an excuse to be shitty people.

******** sperglords

Nerds tippically have it due to what their interests were as a child. I loved Jurrasic Park as a kid. I even own the green brontosaurus toy from the film since I was 7. I grew up tomboyish and played video games with my mother. I had and NES, Ps1, and GBA. I love my upbringing.

I do agree some people abuse the syndrome as a crutch or fake to get sympthaty (damn I can't spell today lol), which makes a bad name for people that have it.

Sparkly Lunatic

Uchiha Sasuke Chan
The Sky Does Not Bow
I think aspergers gets abused a lot by nerds who want an excuse to be shitty people.

******** sperglords

Nerds tippically have it due to what their interests were as a child. I loved Jurrasic Park as a kid. I even own the green brontosaurus toy from the film since I was 7. I grew up tomboyish and played video games with my mother. I had and NES, Ps1, and GBA. I love my upbringing.

I do agree some people abuse the syndrome as a crutch or fake to get sympthaty (damn I can't spell today lol), which makes a bad name for people that have it.

No. One does not become autistic due to their interests as a child.

Sparkly Lunatic

Citrine_Dreams
Mom said that a lot of Aspies don't read a lot but I always have. biggrin

Most of those with Aspergers can read, the difference from this high functioning level of autism and lower function autism is language development. Individuals with Aspergers are differentiated from the lower spectrum of the disorder because they do not show a language impairment.

Sparkly Lunatic

Uchiha Sasuke Chan
Me: I might have Ausburger's because I was very mentally abused by my first month of school.

Nope, you do not have Aspergers because you were abused as a child.
when 50% of the population has something, it is no longer a disorder, because it is no longer abnormal.
The Sky Does Not Bow

******** sperglords

YES! OMG! THIS IS SOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't even think most of them even have it.

Liberal Ladykiller

Aspergers is a tough disorder for me. Part of the reason is that I think there is a high level of misdiagnosis/self-diagnosis.

However, I believe that there is a small percentage of the population who suffer. I think there is a guy in my class who has aspergers, or some form of high-functioning autism, due to his mannerisms and speech patterns.

I think that the change in the DSM would be a step in the right direction in handling the over diagnosis.

Dangerous Lunatic

The only time I ever had an experience with AS was when one of my girlfriends decided to tell me she was trying to get her doctors to diagnose her with it. She finally went nuts on me and I dumped her faster than a sack of spiders. Her parents were pissed at me because after I stopped talking to her she thought I was stalking her and her parents walked in on some uncomfortable things happening.

Last I heard of her she was being shipped off to a mental institution and her brother was kicked out of the house.

Anxious Gekko

i was diagnosed with aspergers and later pdd-nos and i'm with the opinion i have neither. i feel like psychologists were just putting a name to why i am so odd.

Magical Shounen

9,600 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I have Aspergers and was daiognosed when I was like born however I tend to not say it very often people tend to get at me saying I use it as an excuse to get my way. Also my perants tend to get at me when I have tantrums everyone does.....>.< I think I'm in same boat as Temple Grandin I have autisim but people who know how to deal with it are no help and neither is anyone else.

Friendly Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
I was given the Asperger label too when I was 15 and in county custody. What Asperger Syndrome really means to those sadistic pigs in the CPS system is "excuse to pump uncooperative kids full of Thorazine". I was tested again at 18 when I spent some time in a mental ward for adults; here was no sign of Asperger. And let it be said that these days, a camel can easily stride through that needle's eye. I was however found to suffer from severe depression. Go figure.

I don't doubt that Asperger Syndrome is a real condition, and it would be really unfair of me to call anyone here "fakers" or whatever. But if everyone I've met on Gaia, or the internet, or real life for that matter, who say they have it, actually have it, then as good as every person who feels different from time to time would have it. When I carried this tag in my forehead while in the system, I was mocked and not taken seriously, "because of your Aspergers". So everyone who thinks Asperger Syndrome would be a nice get out of jail free card, because they identify with some of the characteristics or not, please think twice before you label yourself with this diagnosis.

If anyone had told 15-year-old me that Asperger syndrome would be a "cool" diagnosis someday, I would have been stunned speechless.

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
THeSLuSH

On a side note, did anyone else hear about the tragic events at the brain bank this last summer? We lost a third of the biggest supply of autistic brains during a freezer malfunction (along with many other samples from various other diseases/disorders). The worse part about the tissue thaw-out is that these brains were the -best- specimens for research (most complete, full case histories, etc), so we expect to see a long-term slow of autism research. Just thought I would bring it up since many of my colleagues have been affected by it.

There's a brain bank?!? Not gonna lie, that sounds really creepy. I have Asperger's (I realize that there's not classification for it now, but I'm still an Aspie through and through) and the idea of my brain being stored in a freezer is terrifying!

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Citrine_Dreams
I got diagnosed with Aspergers a few years ago. I am very sensitive to touch, like if someone touches my hair lightly or arm or whatever. I also hate when the laundry room door is open when the dryer is on. I also love to study world religions and cultures. biggrin I love books, especially historical fiction. Mom said that a lot of Aspies don't read a lot but I always have. biggrin

Most of the Aspies I know loooove reading, I don't know what your mom is talking about! XD

Mystical Bard

17,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
Okay, now that I'm done replying to other people's posts, let's get down to business.

I have many names, but y'alls can call me Water or Rue. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 12. I've been on medications since I was 7 for ADHD and various anxiety disorders. My father and one of my brothers have Asperger's, and my other brother has HFA along with a myriad of other issues.

I too am tired of people using ASD as an excuse to be jerk faces. I don't know if any of you guys have seen Season 3 of Glee, but the character Sugar is a prime example of such people and pisses me off like no other.

I'm not sure where I stand on the over-diagnosis issue, since I know many people who fit under the ASD umbrella. I'm not too happy about the new DSM-5 classification. I'm an Aspie, and I'm proud of it. It gives me a sense of community; if I meet someone else who has Asperger's we automatically have something in common. The new classification may also cause people who need services to be unable to get them, which is tragic and very unfortunate.

If anyone has any questions regarding ASD/Asperger's feel free to ask away!

Sparkly Lunatic

Water of Fenri
There's a brain bank?!? Not gonna lie, that sounds really creepy. I have Asperger's (I realize that there's not classification for it now, but I'm still an Aspie through and through) and the idea of my brain being stored in a freezer is terrifying!

There are a couple of them actually xD

I do like what you said in your other post, that you are proud to be an Aspie. I find this to be the case with many people who have the AD diagnosis, that there is a high level of pride associated with it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff