Welcome to Gaia! ::

I haven't played GaiaOnline in a couple of years. I wanted to make a new account when I saw the animal option but it wouldn't let me customise my avatar at all. I had to pick from one of 3 options and it said I could change it later, but I can't find the avatar creator to do this?

Or do all new players have to start with default characters now instead of customising the hair, eyes and skin colour? I don't understand why they would remove such a big feature??

I want to pick my skin and eye colour etc for myself...

Helpful Gaian

It's changed. Now when you start out you can pick male, female or animal bases. And you can randomise the character until you're happy with the appearance. If there's something you don't like you can purchase new eyes and hair from Salon Durem or a new skin tone from Skin Tyte. Clothes you can purchase in other shops.

The option to fully customise the avatar when you create it was removed. But basic hair, skin and eyes are pretty inexpensive for newbies anyway.

User Image

User Image
I didn't see any option to randomise it, it only let me pick from 3 options for each base. I will have to sign out and see if there are any buttons I missed. Is there a way to delete my avatar and pick a new one? Because I looked through the shops and eyes are cheap but the cat skin colours are for gaia cash except the expensive brown ones so I guess I was meant to pick a human instead of an animal.

The old avatar creator was great, it's disappointing to hear that it's gone.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I logged out and checked, and there is definitely no option to randomise the avatar offerings available, I only got to pick between 3 animals. I am using Firefox if that matters?

Pierced Lunatic

There isn't an option to randomize it on sign up. You only have those options as you can customize it later.
You can change from animal to human in your dressing room at any time but if you picked animal on your sign up, I believe you will be default to a male human base. In which case, if you go here after you change your avatar to human you can use those two free gender potions.

Helpful Gaian

Then it must have changed again. You can change from animal to human on the dress up page. From what I've seen most people tend to default to male when you select animal at sign up. So if you want to be female you'll need to use one of your free gender changes on your account prefs page.

User Image

User Image
They took away the free avatar customization quite a long time ago, shortly after adding Salon Durem and Skin Tyte.

To access your free Genderbender potions from your account settings, you will have to switch to and save as a human; the section can't be seen when in [Animal] form.

The furs in Skin Tyte (the gold ones at least) are the cheapest there are, but there are a lot more options once you have access to the Market Place (including getting the cash ones for reasonable gold prices -reasonable in relation to the current state of inflation, not based on what you were used to with old Gaia- )

If you're thinking of sticking around as an [Animal], you'll be wanting the Master [Animal] Item List. Most if not all items are linked to their MP page so you can try it on and whatnot.

Valiant Jackling

~ Aki - Fairy ~
They took away the free avatar customization quite a long time ago, shortly after adding Salon Durem and Skin Tyte.

To access your free Genderbender potions from your account settings, you will have to switch to and save as a human; the section can't be seen when in [Animal] form.

The furs in Skin Tyte (the gold ones at least) are the cheapest there are, but there are a lot more options once you have access to the Market Place (including getting the cash ones for reasonable gold prices -reasonable in relation to the current state of inflation, not based on what you were used to with old Gaia- )

If you're thinking of sticking around as an [Animal], you'll be wanting the Master [Animal] Item List. Most if not all items are linked to their MP page so you can try it on and whatnot.

The full on customization we had in 2003 and 2004 is gone (and has been for years - when there was a plethora of starter hair and eyes to choose from), but even a year ago you had some sense of customization - you could choose your starter outfit from a small selection and I seem to recall they had a small selection of hair, skin and eyes available too. From the look of things, all that is gone now and you only get to choose between 9 starter avatars (3 for each gender/type). I wager Gaia changed it when they added [animal]'s to the starter ranks.
DevynAsylum
There isn't an option to randomize it on sign up. You only have those options as you can customize it later.
You can change from animal to human in your dressing room at any time but if you picked animal on your sign up, I believe you will be default to a male human base. In which case, if you go here after you change your avatar to human you can use those two free gender potions.

Thank you so much for sending me the fur, I LOVE it!
That was so kind of you heart

Thank you everyone for helping me get started again, I was so confused about how to customise my avatar because it changes to much but now I am doing ok.

It is rather silly that you only get 9 avatars to pick from when you first sign up but wow the economy has gone crazy since I left, the little daily gift things you click give 10-15k gold each when they used to give 100g. Luckily this means I can afford some cheap things from the store like the eye colour I wanted and a cool helmet.

As for the gender I can confirm that it gave me a basic human male, so it's good to know I get a free gender change. I am really happy with my new fur though so will probably be sticking to my kitty form from now on anyway. Gaia has changed a lot but it's wonderful to know there are so many nice people here still!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff