Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sarcastic Prophet

Absolutely. Maybe they're gaining lots of new members, but the issue is the retention rate. If they don't stay, they don't pay, to put it bluntly. But most importantly, if they don't stay, we don't get any fresh perspectives or talents, and we remain stagnant as a community.

KittieCupcakes
Oh, so glad you're already familiar with it!
It's always best for Gaia to hear how it affects every person, especially newbies now that they're pushing everyone to invite their friends.

Sarcastic Prophet

Legal bump.

Playful Lover

13,850 Points
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
Im sorry to say but...Gaia is slowly dying away...I missed the old Gaia sad

sigh...we tried so hard to get heard but the new CEO just ignoring us

I dont even feel mad anymore...I feel sad and disappointed. Im just waiting for the day that they will say Gaia is shutting down and say their last farewells to all the Gaians online

Shy Cat

15,925 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
Ebania
The Gaia I see before me is consumed in consumerist greed unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It is consumed in selfishness, in wilful ignorance of fundamental economic principles, in discord, in chaos, and in a painful, palpable disappointment that has touched every corner of this website.
You hit that right on the nail. I couldn't have put it better if I'd tried.

Sarcastic Prophet

I sincerely believe that, even if its profitability wanes, this site is worth more to the current management sold rather than completely shut down. To a potential buyer, this site actually might be pretty promising: They've got a site with a loyal, captive audience, a rich history/culture, and tons of features that have potential. But I totally agree; I am sad and disappointed that these conversations are even happening.

Also, thank you, Zillee. Like I said, I wish it weren't true -- but it is.

Ox-TeeNz-xO
Im sorry to say but...Gaia is slowly dying away...I missed the old Gaia sad

sigh...we tried so hard to get heard but the new CEO just ignoring us

I dont even feel mad anymore...I feel sad and disappointed. Im just waiting for the day that they will say Gaia is shutting down and say their last farewells to all the Gaians online
Zillee

Enduring Gaian

We truly need people that have the interests of the site and the users in mind to be in charge. Gaia Interactive's "Make or break point" in terms of sales is forcing the once honorable staff to act like cretins or simply leave the site altogether.

I know there's no going back to my glory days of 2003, but I don't mind that. What I do mind is the utter disrespect for new members. I personally cannot stand the staff for creating a welcome image that flat out says that the only way to enjoy this site is to buy things.
Excellent and very heartfelt thread 3nodding

Dedicated Ally

7,875 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
I'm not sure how I can support your cause (I'm a little short on gold myself), but I wish you good luck smile

Dapper Phantom

You would think that with the 500mil incentive that the site is giving to get new members, they would put more effort is helping out the newbies themselves. Like higher payout in newbie quests around the site, or maybe just putting a stop to the gold generators.

I'm terribly sorry that you've been putting so much of your time and effort into something like Gaia's current state. I know that the people you help are thankful and encouraged by good friends they meet to stay, but the site itself is doing nothing to keep even current users from leaving.

I hope Gaia actually listens to people like you, who have a voice of the newbies and a lot of members supporting you. People like you who aren't giving up on the site but really just want a change for the good. Like how it used to be.
Best of luck!

Sarcastic Prophet

I am deeply touched by the posts you all have left here as well as by the PMs I have received over the past few hours. To those who have reached out to me and to my guild: Thank you, thank you, thank you. From the bottom of my heart. Thank you for reminding me, again, of how wonderful this community truly is.

@ Darius Runan: I was waiting for you to come in here and give your feedback; I'm sure that a good number of the tips you receive in this forum come from me, haha. You're right on the money: I truly feel as though the bridge between users and staff has been painfully severed, like slowly ripping off a limb, over the past nine or ten months. It has been long, agonizing, and ruthless, and unfortunately, the newbies coming in to the site are experiencing it at what I would call its darkest days.

@ akki-no-onna: Thank you so much for your kind words both here and in my inbox. They mean so much to me.

@ Veethree: Your support is more than enough; thank you very much for lending me your ear.

@ Starstrukk Amaya: We're extremely fortunate to have such a wonderful community that is grateful for anything and everything that it receives from us. But you're right: Gaia's current practices are making it very difficult to continue giving our community members gifts that will actually help them on their quests. I, too, hope Gaia should be willing to hear my point of view, especially since the dropping newbie retention rate might actually harm their bottom line.

Darius Runan
akki-no-onna
Veethree
Starstrukk Amaya

Enduring Gaian

Ebania

Thanks for the tips. heart

The current "great divide" reminds me of the term "Environmental Racism". The standard textbook definition is:

Quote:
Environmental racism is placement of low-income or minority communities in proximity of environmentally hazardous or degraded environments, such as toxic waste, pollution and urban decay.

While this is indeed an online community and no personal harm can happen, the environmental factors do not change. The community is torn apart and separate. Those that can buy thrive the most while those that cannot are unable to even try to get something special like the buyers. To some, the announcements to poor gaians are nothing more than "Hey, look at what you're missing out on you broke noob". It's angering to think users deserve such double-standard treatment. Non paying users and members who simply can not afford gaia cash, who once could obtain items without having to even buy anything, are now completely disregarded.

Peaceful Explorer

9,100 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bookworm 100
I'm in complete and total support. heart

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Ebania
You're right on the money. As of now, our newbie-retention rate is suffering, even though our budget is higher than ever (because the gold is worth less). All we can hope to provide, at this point, are more humble gifts and a community of friends. Unless, as I said, I start purchasing Gaia Cash for the guild, which is something I'm seriously considering doing and believe I can afford.

Your opening post was very well written, and I'm sorry to see you and your guild having such a hard time. I know the work your guild has done in the past (and continues to do) is excellent and much appreciated. But I very firmly believe that you personally (by purchasing GC) should not have to support Gaia in an effort to retain their new users. Don't do what Gaia is supposed to be doing. They're the ones failing; don't let yourself suffer because of it.

Amateur Alchemist

I can't imagine what the newbies are going through with this, until now. I agree with your post and its hardly believable that once was yearly budget turned into monthly.

Super Girl

12,775 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image
User Image
                                  This made me so sad. So freaking sad.
                                  I don't even have anything good to say.
                                  I've legitimately told people not to come to Gaia.
                                  I have friends who used to have an account who were considering coming back, and I warned them against it.
                                  I can't in good faith tell someone to come to Gaia. I hardly enjoy it here. I'm only here for the old friends I have who are willing to stick it out until the end.
                                  But it hurts me to think of an entire group of good people that I've seen on our front page and heard about over the years no longer being able to help out newbies.
                                  It just really, really sucks to see that I'm not alone in not being able to welcome new people in good conscience.

And the worst part about it is, I have so little hope that Gaia will listen to even this thread, that I just.
                                  I don't even.
                                  I'm hurting right now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas