Welcome to Gaia! ::

Spooky Researcher

20,775 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • There are two sides... 50
As the prices go incredibly insane I think the gold chance items were the ones who started the mess, but that means people are spending tons of real life dollars to obtain e-money.

Now assuming if someone has enough gold to buyout an entire stock of items, they would be able to control the price. Take for example Zodiacal EI, either its old or in inactive accounts or everyone wants one. But a more capitalist approach is to literally buy out the entire stock so that it becomes rare or completely non-existant, then you can increase the price because you own nearly all of the supply itself. If you own trillions of gold, thats peanuts...someone with billions of gold,...well...it might stink though. There is nothing we can do about it since its a strategy to earn more gold sadly.

Go-fusion and alchemy aren't really doing much to supplement the supply but they work, however if more supply is produced the prices go down. I figure the recolors are in some way combating inflation, as I can buy a recolor thats 80% cheaper than the original item.

As a person who never bought cash....we have to think of ways other than cash to get our stuff. Unfortunately we'll always get the rear end of the stick and thats sort of normal, But from what I've seen theres always a way to make gold here, you have to decide if you want to waste time on it.

Dapper Citizen

7,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
josiv
Gaia introduced gold generators, thus inflation ensued. They did this because if everything is inflated its hard to obtain. If everything is hard to obtain, people will take the easy route. You wanna know what the easy route is? Gaia Cash.

^ That's pretty much it, sweetheart. If you want anything these days, be prepared to spend the money in your bank account.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Dlin
Y'know... complaints are the same from the old days to now, just with more zeros added to the end of them. The one good thing that's changed, though, is the avatars. Look at the nifty avatars in this thread. Not one of them is all that similar to another, and that's due to the enormous variety of items available now.

Some of those items are even, relatively speaking, cheap. Be sure to hit the daily chance every day, maybe try playing the Lake Kindred game, lurk a bit in the Exchange forum and see how others trade up to make gold-(among other ideas) and you'll start building up to where the rest of us are without having to spend much if any cash for a while. As long as you don't have to have the newest shiny items, you have an enormous number of items to choose from that are much less expensive.

It just takes a willingness to poke about a bit, ask questions (most people are pretty willing to share what they know, be careful of "real good deals" though), and be willing to put in a little bit of time working your way up to buying the newer shinies while making friends along the way. Be warned, new stuff can devalue really fast. A bit of patience will often net you a really nice item for a lot less than many will pay. The nice thing here is that a lot of the older cheaper items can still help you to make a pretty incredible avatar or two.

You hit it exactly, back in the good old days, everything was intimidating and out of reach for newbies, now after a month only the CS items are and even some of them aren't for long.

Ruthless Vampire

40,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
Luckily, there is a solution out there that will please not only the people who have the items but those who want them as well!

As I've been suggesting for years, we need a CI/RIG that is released in the cash shop as individual items as well as the actual chance itself - take a gamble, or buy the shiny you want right now instead. What you do is you put gaia cash prices on all the items, so the pet might cost 25-50 dollars but surprise, it won't cost 2 trillion in the marketplace. Why? People normally price things according to the rarity and expense - the more expensive it is to obtain it, the rarer it is, the more money. Thus, guaranteeing every RIG/CI item will be available to people for an entire month destroys the concept of hoarding and price gouging since you can just buy it.

A second option is putting a cap on how high certain items can go according to the rarity of the item combined with common sense. Sadly, the users in general should not be allowed to have complete power over items.. seen the result around here lately? In 2012, having 100 billion made you a super rich Gaian. Now, even 1 trillion is considered "semi-rich" -what's next, 1 quadrillion? Cap new items at reasonable prices, enough to make a profit but not so much profit it costs an arm and a leg and the rest of the torso! This would be something along the lines of the most rare 5 items of a CI/RIG being priced at the higher end around 100 billion and everything else underneath until we can get inflation under control. A common drop shouldn't be listed for 250 billion with NOBODY willing to negotiate or deal with it for a decent price. The system is broken and it needs to be fixed.

We need more ideas and less people saying leave and go somewhere else, because frankly if enough do it there won't be a site here in two years. We need to fix the problems, not ignore them or pretend they aren't problems.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Wes Von Helson

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

The reason most people go after that rare item is not because they want it, they want the gold that comes from selling it.

So what's the point of calling it a rare item if everyone can get it?

"Ph’nglui mglw’nfh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Calelith
Wes Von Helson

The reason most people go after that rare item is not because they want it, they want the gold that comes from selling it.

Eh, I can only speak for myself but I actually want to wear those items with no listings because I like the poses. And want to see if I can make anything with them and if they click well with my other items.

Gold is really the last thing I think about.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Astra the Fae
Calelith
Wes Von Helson

Eh, I can only speak for myself but I actually want to wear those items with no listings because I like the poses. And want to see if I can make anything with them and if they click well with my other items.

Gold is really the last thing I think about.

Oh trust me there are quite a few of the rare/non extant items that I wish I owned and would probably never give up.

But I can say with some assertion that the appeal to most when it comes to the rarer items (like the monthly RiG pets for example) is the worth of said item over actually wanting to own said item.

Though I will say that assertion is based on what I've seen in the forum through posts in certain GCD based threads.

Ruthless Vampire

40,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
Calelith
Wes Von Helson

First off, hail C'thulu.

Secondly, a lot of times you get drops in CI/RIGs that are listed as PREMIUM and rare drops - although, there's hundreds of them everywhere. The word "rare" on gaia doesn't mean what it used to mean. I'd also suggest a new ranking of rarities so that rare is reserved for, say, angelic halo or 03 collectibles and not the latest new pet that'll be a common drop 6 months or so from now.

Rainbow Worshipper

30,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
If they implanted a price cap, you'd see items being sold less than they already are in the market. People would buy them off the market and then just resell them in the exchange for higher.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff