Welcome to Gaia! ::

OvertlyMedicated's Significant Otter

Codebreaking Lunatic

17,475 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
I have been playing Gaia online for quite a while now and I'm always on the look out for neat items but I have noticed a scary trend in the items I am seeing. And that trend is items that are so feminine I feel dirty for having tried them on. There are very few items I can think of that, as a male, I need to have. In fact quite the opposite, I find myself sitting on a pile of gold because there is nothing I want to buy. I have many items that have lots of different poses but in truth I wear one item out of it because the rest of it is very feminine and that bothers me. It's gotten to the point where the guys I see are either under enough items that you couldn't tell they were male or they end up wearing starter gear because it's just simpler. Either way something needs to be said about it.

Oh, and one more thing; Give us some frakking jeans that don't suck!

Sparkly Phantom

I don't really have trouble finding items that look male on male bases.

And even if they did make your avi look feminine, you could always masculine stuff up with boots or a type of handheld.

Codebreaking Lunatic

17,475 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
That's exactly my issue. I shouldn't need to go out of my way to "butch it up" so to speak. Just about everything is so frilly, even the most basic jeans and T-shirt outfits end up looking a little fruity. And the second you start adding anything short of a Colt 1911 it goes off the deep end.

Fashionable Fatcat

Most of Gaia's user-base population is female/feminine, so it's only smart to cater and market to the majority. I'm not saying it's fair, but this is a business and I can't fault them for that.

You could always try to petition for more male-centric items. I personally think there are plenty of masculine items.. So maybe you're just not looking in the right places for them?

Cute Cat

HARD sunshine
Most of Gaia's user-base population is female/feminine, so it's only smart to cater and market to the majority. I'm not saying it's fair, but this is a business and I can't fault them for that.

You could always try to petition for more male-centric items. I personally think there are plenty of masculine items.. So maybe you're just not looking in the right places for them?
plus, i know a lot of males who aren't feminine who enjoy making female avatars!
i agree this this statement, it's a smart market move

but as for male items, try tektek you'll be surprised to find a lot of male items

Super Cat

14,875 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
I agree with you that Gaia needs more masculine items.
I had a male base recently,
and any time I got excited about new items coming out,
I'd normally get disappointed that none of them were wearable for me.
Still, I did end up making plenty of avatars I liked
that were still masculine.
You could check my journal to see them
(they'd be at the bottom since they're more recent),
or you could look up Old Man Vee or possibly Last of 9
(though I'm not entirely sure if they have archives that you could access).
Maybe see other masculine avatars
might give you some ideas of items that you'd like to buy.

Eternal Lightbringer

They are pixels. Make them look masculine.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
HARD sunshine

The thing is, it's an extremely slim majority. It's damned near 50/50 (in actually, it's something like 53/47 or something like that, in terms of female to male ratio). There is a very blatant lack of items that aren't flowing, adorable, cute pastel skirts. Consider that before 2011, we haven't had a single pair of pants in our Monthly Collectibles, ever. And for a very, very long time, item sets with a masculine connotation were left without pants (they would have, for example, a hat, shirt, gloves and an accessory but no pants) whereas item sets that were intrinsically feminine would include a skirt with everything else. I mean, just do a quick item search in the Marketplace. See how many results come up for "pants" versus how many results come up for "skirt." There's a heavy imbalance.

For a very, very long time, a blind eye has been turned to items that actually look like they were made particularly for the male base. Even many pants nowadays seem to make the male legs look far slimmer and slender and look far better on the female base than the male base. It's a known problem and there have been quite a few threads asking that the artists please start including pants and shorts in their item sets. Thankfully, this request has largely been heard. We're getting a lot more pants now than we have in a long, long time. It doesn't mean that there's equity, though, not by a long shot. I'd still like more pants, specifically those that don't modify the base (ugh, super skinny leg mods look awful on a male base). Asking for more items that aren't necessarily frilly or figure-hugging isn't a bad thing. Heck, a lot of users with female avatars have also expressed interest in items that aren't overtly cute and have a more relaxed fit to them.

OP, if you could provide examples of styles you might like to see, that would go a long way in helping your idea get across.

Divine Muse

If it helps any, Gaia is having a contest for items.

You can design a pair of pants that you would want to see on Gaia. I know I am.

l VUN l's Partner

Mega Rabbit

It would help if you listed the kind of masculine items you want, I'm sure. I think there are plenty of masculine items, myself. You just have to be a little creative.

Sexy Assailant

Another one of these? Can you clearly define is 'masculine'? And are you not confused that just because it looks good on a female base it cannot be 'masculine' in nature?

Codebreaking Lunatic

17,475 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Lidke
Another one of these? Can you clearly define is 'masculine'? And are you not confused that just because it looks good on a female base it cannot be 'masculine' in nature?

The fact that there is more then one forum thread on this subject should be proof enough for my point but I will go in to specifics starting with a rough definition of masculine; Adjective: Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men. What's meant by this in terms of clothing design, no to the frakking skinny jeans, the shirts that are 80% straps, or the arm wraps... i mean really, how many guys really wear those elbow to wrist sleeves outside of K-pop videos? And yet every time there's new items there's those ubiquitous sleeves. Then there's the dresses, Oh my gumball the dresses. If a guy wants a suit here he's got four options and none of them are what I'd call great. a girl wants a dress she's got literally hundreds of real options. That's a very skewed ratio to say the least. Mean while the male population of Gaia is not what I'd consider small yet based on items we may as well not exist.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Great not another one of these. I'm all for more clothes for a non cross dressing dudes to wear, but stop being vague in these request and just straight up tell Gaia what exactly do you want. And it's not that hard to dress like a man.

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
Skot Con Queso
Lidke

The fact that there is more then one forum thread on this subject should be proof enough for my point but I will go in to specifics starting with a rough definition of masculine; Adjective: Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men. What's meant by this in terms of clothing design, no to the frakking skinny jeans, the shirts that are 80% straps, or the arm wraps... i mean really, how many guys really wear those elbow to wrist sleeves outside of K-pop videos? And yet every time there's new items there's those ubiquitous sleeves. Then there's the dresses, Oh my gumball the dresses. If a guy wants a suit here he's got four options and none of them are what I'd call great. a girl wants a dress she's got literally hundreds of real options. That's a very skewed ratio to say the least. Mean while the male population of Gaia is not what I'd consider small yet based on items we may as well not exist.

Okay, I will start by saying I agree with the idea of there needing to be more "male" oriented items. However, let's get real. In real life, normal men's suits all follow the same basic designs, and the subtle differences between them would be all but lost on the small avatar base. In younger men's less formal clothing the variety is somewhat greater in the various jeans, hoodies and tees, and there is some of those on Gaia already.

Women buy more variety in clothes IRL than men do, generally, so I don't think it's unfair on Gaia that the emphasis in many RIGs and gold shop releases is on variety for the female avatars. It'd be nice for the male base to get a few more options, but I'm not holding my breath. I've noticed the recent efforts by art staff to make sure male options are offered, and they've been very appreciated. I hope they will continue to do so. Maybe one of these days they'll come up with jeans even you would like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff