Gold~!!! <3 1 100.0% [ 86 ]
Total Votes:[ 86 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Vicious Hellraiser

13,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Threadmaster 200
The bar, itself, shouldn't be much of a worry.

One: What's the difference between that blue bar being at the top of the page, and someone using a big, blue browser while viewing your profile? It would clash just as much, wouldn't it?

Two: At least you can scroll past it so you don't have to look at it.

I'm really more pissed that they changed stuff like the page alliance, use of upper-left avatar, etc.
My first reaction was "Oh, finally! Good!". There really does need to be more control on profiles.

Now if only they'd add a report button.
It's UGLY! It ruined part of my profile. The blue doesn't clash too much... but it's still very ugly.
I hate it! Oh, once my profile was so loverly, now look at it! What is that thing! And after all I did to get the navigation bar just right!
ewww! You're right! they're ugly!!
They did warn us, though...

The admins didn't say, 'OMIGOSH YOU'LL HAVE A BIG UGLY BLUE BAR AT THE TOP OF YOUR PROFILE!' but when you go to edit your profile it warns you that future changes might mess up your layout or something like that.

Invisible Gekko

Uennie
You need to take other things into the big picture.

The portion where you edit the code states clearly that you were NOT to change or edit navigation or basic bars.

Now some people were replacing navigation bars and such with very pretty ones, unfortunately along with that came people that instead of providing the proper names which ARE required in the original disclaimer, as well as the NEW statement because people abused that:

Theme
Your profile is defined as the content below the header. The header includes the top two navigation bars used by all members on Gaia. You may change graphics below the header only. This is important, failure to adhere to this will result in the disabling of your profile theme. Please note that your custom theme may break due to layout changes in the future.

People abused that. Not only did some of them change the graphics (menu names), SOME were probably able to break the navigation.

Your argument is understood but you need to take the before warning and the action after. There was a warning. I think this was better than completely deactivating some of your profiles. Take it into consideration and work out the common sense. They gave us an inch and a bunch took it a mile. You can think of it this way. They trusted us with something with an obvious warning and we didn't listen and went beyond it.

I AM disappointed because I was looking forward to editing and finishing up my theme. But the Gaia staff do deserve their rights as well in this situation. They warned, we didn't listen, and therefor we deserved to be punished as such. They went leniently, they could have deleted/deactivated every one of those who edited it, and they didn't.

Be alittle grateful and understanding. Or try it at least?

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Uennie
Uennie
You need to take other things into the big picture.

The portion where you edit the code states clearly that you were NOT to change or edit navigation or basic bars.

Now some people were replacing navigation bars and such with very pretty ones, unfortunately along with that came people that instead of providing the proper names which ARE required in the original disclaimer, as well as the NEW statement because people abused that:

Theme
Your profile is defined as the content below the header. The header includes the top two navigation bars used by all members on Gaia. You may change graphics below the header only. This is important, failure to adhere to this will result in the disabling of your profile theme. Please note that your custom theme may break due to layout changes in the future.

People abused that. Not only did some of them change the graphics (menu names), SOME were probably able to break the navigation.

Your argument is understood but you need to take the before warning and the action after. There was a warning. I think this was better than completely deactivating some of your profiles. Take it into consideration and work out the common sense. They gave us an inch and a bunch took it a mile. You can think of it this way. They trusted us with something with an obvious warning and we didn't listen and went beyond it.

I AM disappointed because I was looking forward to editing and finishing up my theme. But the Gaia staff do deserve their rights as well in this situation. They warned, we didn't listen, and therefor we deserved to be punished as such. They went leniently, they could have deleted/deactivated every one of those who edited it, and they didn't.

Be alittle grateful and understanding. Or try it at least?

The original said that we could alter the navigation and the header, but we weren't supposed to BREAK navigation, meaning we couldn't remove links.

In either case, if we abused it then, what's gonna keep others from doing it now? Simply allowing CSS gives us the ability to screw with the nav.

I didn't see a single profile that abused it anyway, in the sense that people didn't link as they asked.

Twobit said something about "uniform navigation"...well, it WAS a uniform navigation since people actually couldn't change the actual links and if people couldn't read...well, they shouldn't be on Gaia. And in either case, I don't see why a "uniform navigation" couldn't have options to have one's nav bar in different colors at least.

I've taken my profile down. I worked too hard on it to have the layout clash. I'd already spent too much time on it and I honestly don't have the motivation to work that hard on a theme that would have to revolve around that fugly bar. The admins can just make their own themes and I'll just mooch off of those.

Yeah, it is the admins' site, but that doesn't mean that I can't be peeved as a user who has dedicated much of her time to the place and who generally likes it.

Invisible Gekko

Some people were breaking navigation as well as disrupting basic menu names. For instance replacing 'Mail' with 'Screams', so on and so forth. I'm sure in the beginning it was fine that we edited the graphics but people took it further and further.

I worked hard on my layout too, and now I have to completely redo a bunch of the graphics. I even coded up the navigation bar of my own and now I can't do it.

But I am not going to get upset that something was taken away when we were given fair warning and people abused it. I believe that sometimes in order to get a message through you need to address it to everyone, not just the select people who went against it.

This at least ensures the fact that no one else will mess with it and that Gaia will be able to go through its upgrade peacefully.

Gaia is a privledge, this is a free service. We need to consider that. The least we owe them is respect for their own rules.

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Uennie
Some people were breaking navigation as well as disrupting basic menu names. For instance replacing 'Mail' with 'Screams', so on and so forth. I'm sure in the beginning it was fine that we edited the graphics but people took it further and further.

I worked hard on my layout too, and now I have to completely redo a bunch of the graphics. I even coded up the navigation bar of my own and now I can't do it.

But I am not going to get upset that something was taken away when we were given fair warning and people abused it. I believe that sometimes in order to get a message through you need to address it to everyone, not just the select people who went against it.

This at least ensures the fact that no one else will mess with it and that Gaia will be able to go through its upgrade peacefully.

Gaia is a privledge, this is a free service. We need to consider that. The least we owe them is respect for their own rules.

Well, the thing is...that warning or no warning, there isn't much of a difference now. People can STILL take away the nav bar and people WILL. I know a user who has taken off the top bars as a means of protest and I'm actually considering doing the same thing since I'm quite angry at my profile and have a strange desire to just get it disabled. So punishing everyone with a bar on top because of those who did break the navigation isn't going to help anything. The solution seems to be "disable the ones who break the rules" and I don't see how that solution can't be applied to the way things used to work.

Yes, Gaia is a privilege, but as I've often said in the GCD, Gaia wouldn't be Gaia without its users. The admins know this. I'm not saying don't respect, I'm saying, put it back to the way it was. We DO have input on the way things are run and I think MANY if not most don't like this change or at least the limitations they have UNNECESSARILY placed on us.

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
what has got me annoyed is that it doesn't match gaia. The bar isn't in gaia's font, it's not quite the right color and the mouse over is all wrong. neutral at least it could have matched the rest of the site ^^;
Yep. D: I don't like it very much. I just wish we could at least change the color of it.

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Actually, it's really funny 'cause they cite "uniform navigation" as a reason for changing it, and there you go...they totally changed the "uniform navigation"

rofl

No, I'm just really sad about the entire thing. I think I just need to go cool down for a few days...

Invisible Gekko

The site's probably going under revamp 3nodding . I wonder what they'll change this time?

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Uennie
The site's probably going under revamp 3nodding . I wonder what they'll change this time?

I hope so...maybe the new things will distract me from my rage which is most likely affecting my judgment as I'm feeling a little childish for complaining...but I swear something doesn't feel right! xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff