Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
During the 2012 campaign, my dad would constantly berate me for not voting for the Big O because of my anti-war stance, and issues with his proliferation of the war on terror. He chided me as saying, "we all know Romney will do the same thing, and do all those other horrible Lovecraftian horrors!" Needless to say, I just didn't vote, and it seems that with the recent DRONE STRIKE EVERYTHING memo, my fears have rightfully been fulfilled. However, despite the shock and outrage by just about everyone, we've still seen a lot of everyone else rallying behind the executive's power to launch bombs at everything.

Daily Show did an Okay skit about it, though I feel I've outgrown Jon Stewart.

Now, I'm not one to necessarily oppose how awesome total annihilation would be (currently reading A Canticle for Leibowitz after all), but I'm still rather perturbed to the extent that the memo goes. LINK.

What actions do you think can, will, or should be brought to curtail this sort of activity by the executive branch? or do you think it's a good thing?

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I've never felt so validated for not voting for someone.

Of course, being proved wrong would have been nice.
The abandonment of lesser issues to address the critical ones. A conscious effort on the part of the media to run with this story and refuse to lose focus whenever distractions arise. Where journalists of other nations have found it to be a moral imperative to speak out against the tyranny and abuse of power within their own nations, the American media must reach deep into itself for the courage to take a side, because the other side is not acceptable in a free, democratic society.

Obviously everyone has a part to play in posing a substantial opposition to creeping abuse of power, not just the media, but they play an important role in fanning the kind of partisanship that stops any significant, apparently legitimate opposition to this sort of thing, or not. I'm not advocating revolt, I remain hopeful that a broad outrage, pursued with the zeal that such a nightmare scenario as this is due, will be enough to force action in Congress. I think we're past the point of expecting the checks and balances of American federalism to suddenly kick in when they have progressively failed time and again for well over a decade now.

Tipsy Explorer

Less Than Liz

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Less Than Liz

That's all well and good, but chances are pretty good that had Romney won, you'd be kicking yourself for NOT voting Obama.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Steam Punk Adept
Less Than Liz

That's all well and good, but chances are pretty good that had Romney won, you'd be kicking yourself for NOT voting Obama.

Maybe. Maybe he'd do the same exact thing but actually meet scrutiny and giving a ******** about civil liberties would be trendy enough for American "progressives" to care again. But yeah, this sort of unchecked power is totes better with Obama.

BUSH = HITLER! WAR CRIMES! ...but at least Obama isn't McCain or Romney.

Mega Noob

The definition of their enemy as vague as the silhouette on their monitor, the scope of their battlefield being the entire planet. The people allowed this, and let it go this far. Drones are cherished, not as judge, jury, executioner, but as lightbringer, as the magic cure for terror. It's all downhill from here. I will stand on my little molehill and blaspheme the self-designed divinity of American hegemony, loud and intently, and when I see the rocket's red glare I will say Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant.

Omnipresent Warlord

Republicans like drone strikes, liberals will give Obama a pass because crucifying him will lead them to losing power.
Omnileech
Republicans like drone strikes, liberals will give Obama a pass because crucifying him will lead them to losing power.

Republicans like drone strikes when it's a REPUBLICAN administration in executive power prosecuting them. This will no doubt become more OBAMA IS HITLERSTALINMAO REINCARNATE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Omnipresent Warlord

Tactical Leg Sweep
Omnileech

Republicans like drone strikes when it's a REPUBLICAN administration in executive power prosecuting them. This will no doubt become more OBAMA IS HITLERSTALINMAO REINCARNATE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Republicans didn't suddenly turn into peaceniks once Obama took power. They didn't suddenly want peace in Afghanistan or an end to the war on terror. Their position as being "tough on criminals and terrorists" has not nor will not change.
Omnileech
Tactical Leg Sweep
Omnileech

Republicans didn't suddenly turn into peaceniks once Obama took power. They didn't suddenly want peace in Afghanistan or an end to the war on terror. Their position as being "tough on criminals and terrorists" has not nor will not change.

No, they didn't, but that's not the point, now is it? They turned into Anti-Obama politicians (or better stated they were ALWAYS anti Obama politicians since he got elected), so much so that it doesn't MATTER what they actually want or believe, so long as it's opposing Obama, whether it's a policy or law they once supported or something that is inherently integral to their conservative rhetoric and party line. This is so prevalent, and has become such a problem in fact that even some within the Republican party itself are starting to complain that their entire policy seems to now revolve around opposing Obama in anything he does.
The Bush-Obama legacy. It's essentially the same flow. Tyranny, more tyranny, and some people with middle eastern ties get blown up. Yep, that's what people wanted.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Less Than Liz
Maybe he'd do the same exact thing but actually meet scrutiny and giving a ******** about civil liberties would be trendy enough for American "progressives" to care again.
Highly unlikely. President Double Guantanamo would be a weathervane on all matters, including those of consequence.
Omnileech

Wait, liberals have power?
A Return to Principles
The abandonment of lesser issues to address the critical ones. A conscious effort on the part of the media to run with this story and refuse to lose focus whenever distractions arise. Where journalists of other nations have found it to be a moral imperative to speak out against the tyranny and abuse of power within their own nations, the American media must reach deep into itself for the courage to take a side, because the other side is not acceptable in a free, democratic society.

Obviously everyone has a part to play in posing a substantial opposition to creeping abuse of power, not just the media, but they play an important role in fanning the kind of partisanship that stops any significant, apparently legitimate opposition to this sort of thing, or not. I'm not advocating revolt, I remain hopeful that a broad outrage, pursued with the zeal that such a nightmare scenario as this is due, will be enough to force action in Congress. I think we're past the point of expecting the checks and balances of American federalism to suddenly kick in when they have progressively failed time and again for well over a decade now.

Force action in Congress? You can't do that unless they've already surrendered.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff