Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Warlord

sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04
I know he got the popular vote but if he only got a little more than 50% of the vote why should he be abloe to veto a bill that the other 50% of the country would want

I�m Canadian and we use the parliamentary system and are leader has virtually no power to stop a bill especially in a minority government like we have now he only gets to chose the cabinet from people elected into parliament

It's called "checks and balances". We're also a representative democracy, which means it doesn't matter if 50% of the population wants something...it's what the representatives want that matters.

No, it doesn't. There is some protection of the minority too. At least there should be. The majority of the U.S doesn't like neonazis but they are still allowed to hold rallies.

I'm looking at this from a governmental point of view. Nazis don't have anything to do with creating and passing bills.

In that case, a minority can block the majority from action in the senate and the president can veto. You're ignoring the checks and balances of our government.
omnileech
sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04
I know he got the popular vote but if he only got a little more than 50% of the vote why should he be abloe to veto a bill that the other 50% of the country would want

I�m Canadian and we use the parliamentary system and are leader has virtually no power to stop a bill especially in a minority government like we have now he only gets to chose the cabinet from people elected into parliament

It's called "checks and balances". We're also a representative democracy, which means it doesn't matter if 50% of the population wants something...it's what the representatives want that matters.

No, it doesn't. There is some protection of the minority too. At least there should be. The majority of the U.S doesn't like neonazis but they are still allowed to hold rallies.

I'm looking at this from a governmental point of view. Nazis don't have anything to do with creating and passing bills.

In that case, a minority can block the majority from action in the senate and the president can veto. You're ignoring the checks and balances of our government.

I just pointed out the checks and balances. The only way that a minority holds any power is through a filibuster, although I must admit that's a very powerful tool these days. I did like the old rules concerning those much better...
omnileech
sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04

By the way, Congress can override a veto too if it so wishes.

Omnipresent Warlord

sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04

I just pointed out the checks and balances. The only way that a minority holds any power is through a filibuster, although I must admit that's a very powerful tool these days. I did like the old rules concerning those much better...

There's also the judicial branch that can declare something unconstitutional. Just look at the effects of Marberry (sp?) v. Madison for that.
It's Marbury.

Sorry for the one liner.

And why the hell are we talking about conquering Canada? Does Ann Coulter have an account on this forum?

Omnipresent Warlord

mitoguard
It's Marbury.

Sorry for the one liner.

And why the hell are we talking about conquering Canada? Does Ann Coulter have an account on this forum?

Thanks for the spellcheck, why would the U.S want to invade and annex any other country? There's rarely justification enough for such a thing and because some people don't like Canada isn't a good reason at all.
omnileech
sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04

There's also the judicial branch that can declare something unconstitutional. Just look at the effects of Marberry (sp?) v. Madison for that.

Of course...I'm not denying their power; I actually find them to be the most fascinating branch of the government. If it weren't for them, I'm certain we'd be living in some sort of tyrannical third-world country by now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff