Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Because Congress can push it past him with 2/3 of their votes if they want to. It worked kind of like this in the 1860s, Congress would pass a bill, Andrew Johnson would veto it, and Congress would override it. It happened like that most of the time then.
The whole system of checks and balances takes a while to explain. Basically the American system is set up so that there isn't too much power in any particular branch. Now the original stuff has been shifted some as the government evolved, but yeah. Veto's have basically worked through history. Turn your question around, should 51% of Congress be able to force a bill on the rest of the country? The founding fathers thought no, so the veto was created, and to limit that a veto can be overturned by a 2/3 majority vote.
GO CANADA!!

You ******** crazy Canucks! Why don't we have you guys run our country?! I'm serious. Canada is so ******** awesome.

My friend has a dual-citizenship in USA/Canada. If he gets drafted he can just say, "******** you, Bush! I'm a ******** crazy Canuck, and you can't do anything aboot it!"

Man, I vote US out of North America. Canada should rule.

Shy Tycoon

RatiugLink
GO CANADA!!

You ******** crazy Canucks! Why don't we have you guys run our country?! I'm serious. Canada is so ******** awesome.

My friend has a dual-citizenship in USA/Canada. If he gets drafted he can just say, "******** you, Bush! I'm a ******** crazy Canuck, and you can't do anything aboot it!"

Amen to that. xd
RatiugLink
GO CANADA!!

slow down my crazy friend Canada is a great country but if you got rid of the united states from north America we would have a huge ocean in between Canada and Mexico and trust me that Canadians love to go over to Mexico in the winter and the water would get in the way.

but to be serious the states are not that bad a little ignorant but without them Canada would be in economic despair

Distinct Informer

I think that we should just conqur Canada. If we do that we won't have anymore trade issues.
Pwn3r_F0x
I think that we should just conqur Canada. If we do that we won't have anymore trade issues.

Do you know America launched invasions into Canada and all of them failed miserably?
Pwn3r_F0x

The invasion of Canada would cause you more problems. first you would have all of NATO retaliating on you. second you the troops would be frozen solid. thirdly you would have angry Canadian teenagers that want legal downloading of music for free
bardak_04
Pwn3r_F0x

The invasion of Canada would cause you more problems. first you would have all of NATO retaliating on you. second you the troops would be frozen solid. thirdly you would have angry Canadian teenagers that want legal downloading of music for free

NATO? We OWN NATO.

Frozen Solid? Ever heard of TANKS/Missles?
he won the electoral college

Distinct Informer

bardak_04
Pwn3r_F0x

Cut off communication NATO won't have to hear about it. No, is we could live in Russia, France, and Germany in winter during the past, I am sure we can survive in Canada today. It is a contradiction to get legal music for free. Read the copyright laws. It is just we can't prosecute over countries.
bardak_04
I know he got the popular vote but if he only got a little more than 50% of the vote why should he be abloe to veto a bill that the other 50% of the country would want

I�m Canadian and we use the parliamentary system and are leader has virtually no power to stop a bill especially in a minority government like we have now he only gets to chose the cabinet from people elected into parliament

It's called "checks and balances". We're also a representative democracy, which means it doesn't matter if 50% of the population wants something...it's what the representatives want that matters.

Omnipresent Warlord

sunaipaa
bardak_04
I know he got the popular vote but if he only got a little more than 50% of the vote why should he be abloe to veto a bill that the other 50% of the country would want

I�m Canadian and we use the parliamentary system and are leader has virtually no power to stop a bill especially in a minority government like we have now he only gets to chose the cabinet from people elected into parliament

It's called "checks and balances". We're also a representative democracy, which means it doesn't matter if 50% of the population wants something...it's what the representatives want that matters.

No, it doesn't. There is some protection of the minority too. At least there should be. The majority of the U.S doesn't like neonazis but they are still allowed to hold rallies.
omnileech
sunaipaa
bardak_04

No, it doesn't. There is some protection of the minority too. At least there should be. The majority of the U.S doesn't like neonazis but they are still allowed to hold rallies.

I'm looking at this from a governmental point of view. Nazis don't have anything to do with creating and passing bills.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff