Welcome to Gaia! ::

it's a poll! who's your favorite magma member?

Maxie 0.25421530479896 25.4% [ 196 ]
Tabitha 0.22568093385214 22.6% [ 174 ]
Courtney/Marge 0.10505836575875 10.5% [ 81 ]
Brodie 0.050583657587549 5.1% [ 39 ]
Butler 0.076523994811933 7.7% [ 59 ]
Mack 0.035019455252918 3.5% [ 27 ]
...Grimsley? 0.25291828793774 25.3% [ 195 ]
Total Votes:[ 771 ]

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Definitely post it! I'll get in contact with the musician who did the uh, the rpg music for his own personal adventure I think it was called home bound or something my brain went blank. But I know him and we could see about commissioning him someday? I'll link you to his work first man I'd do it now but I'm on mobile and seriously forgot what he goes by omg. Also I play cello and can see about getting some of my orchestra friends together if you ever need anything like that?

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
HIS NAME IS JAMES ROACH AND HE DID THE ALBUM EMIBOUND which is no longer on band camp but you can find it elsewhere like probably his blog it's really good. But here's his bandcamp and see if it's something you're interested in. He has a lot of good piano music as well.

Aged Consumer

Oh goodness! Both awesome!
Man, I really do wish I was better with programmes like FL studio, and so on. I hear so much music in my head I'd love to create, but I can only really produce the musical equivalent of humming. Like, I read music, so I can make sheet music. Anvil studio can play said sheet music with whatever instruments.
Can't even reaaallllyyy manage rhythm tracks.

At least I can creates melodies with a consistent feeling, though. I have a good idea as to the vibe and general soundfonds Eyori has.

What I am mostly disappointed about is the fact I have a very good idea of what Eve's battle theme should sound like, and I am having trouble even hammering out the bare essentials! Because so much of that is beyond just simple notes, and very much soundfont/beat/sound effects? Idk idk idk

I will have to find somewhere that uploads and plays midis, because they are a b***h to export into wav files and however on my laptop, for some reason :/

Aged Consumer

Damn though, actual Pokemon music is so incredibly complex. Especially the battle themes.
I have all of the midis for the majority of the games, ripped from the roms, and looking at them in Anvil studio actually blows my mind.

I'm looking at the Battle! Frontier Brain theme from Platinum, and jeez. This one track alone has 12 separate channels and 2 drum tracks, all of which sound like mostly nothing on their own. When put together, all of these instruments manage to somehow create an entire song.

Tbh people in general don't give video game composers enough credit. And it kind of bugs me to see people complain about the quality of music or lack of individual themes in these games. I mean, each one must have at least a solid 20 hours of works put into composing it, to get everything just right?
I mean, especially when it came to remastering songs in remakes, going from the 3 available channels playing in the music in G/S/C, with no drum track at all, and then just producing the equivalent of an orchestra cover with all of the separate instruments in it to make it feel exciting/full, but not messy or overwhelming.

I so badly want to be able to do this.

And ooh I will take a look at him C:

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Yeah it gets really freaking complex. Like if you were to just play the cello part of a full symphony it sounds sort of okay every now and then but the piece sounds incomplete if you play without it. It's really amazing how compositions work! I love how much you already have down. Have you considered using RPG Maker? My friend is making a game on it right now. It might be a good place to start actually fleshing out some of your ideas.

Aged Consumer

Haha, tell me about it. I played trombone for a very long time, and bass and tenor parts sound hella bizarre without everyone else. Additionally, I sing tenor and alto, and it was always weird practising on my own during musicals, as my harmony sounded like a** with sopranos and bass over top.

Hmm, I was planning on writing over top of a rom, and making a rom hack? Though this is currently only possible to do with any sort of entirety with gens 1-3, mayyybe 4, if you are patient. The 3D maps and 3D modeled Pokemon in 5 and 6 make hacking the roms nearly impossible, not to mention 3DS roms are scarce.
This said, though, I am wanting ot start with a rom because the battle system for Pokemon is very complicated, and not something I feel I could properly work into RPG maker. I used to mess around with 2003 and XP a while ago, and have a pretty good idea of how they work.
Though, simply to use as a drawing board, I guess they could be useful C:

Also dammmnnn, this guy is talented. Yeeeesh.
I like him!!

Aged Consumer

Do you have a programme like anvil studio for reading and editing midi files? If so, do you also read music? I mean, I assume you do, seeing how you play cello haha
Cuz if you do, you really need to download the midis for DPP and take a look at them simply for entertainment. Probably the most insanely complex music to come out of the franchise so far.
I love it too, seeing how handhelld consoles are just reading midi files and applying a soundbank to them, all of the 'sound effects' in the battle themes like wavering sounds and the bubbles in giratina's theme, are just notes being read and applied to certain sound banks. If you put them up or down a key so that they are a regular pitch and change the instrument to a piano, there is a whole other channel on it AND THE SOUND AFFECTS ARE ALSO APPLIED TO A FRICKEN MELODY??? Like they are not just blips??? It's weird
This soundtrack just blows my mind in every way.
Route 216 is really cool to look at, too. It's even more complex than the frontier brain theme.

I am thinking about stealing bass and drum tracks from these to build music over top of tbh

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I used to but I got rid of it bc my computer hates my guts more than you can believe, but I'd totally get it again to check it out, and yeah I can read music haha! I mainly read bass clef and whatever the heck viola is (tenor clef? idk bruh), but I can vaguely understand treble. It sounds totally awesome, the Pokemon soundtracks have always had this amazing thing to them, and seeing it would totally rock. Have you heard any of the pure orchestrations of them? WOW. They're on youtube and other sites too probably.

Aged Consumer

You mean, arrangements by people like HappyDragonite and PokeRemixStudio?? Yess.

And yeah, the Pokemon soundtrack has a very special vibe to it. Idk how to describe it. Something really sets it apart from other game soundtracks.

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I mean like skotein who does the Pokemon Reorchestrated. I love their D/P/P and G/S/C/Hg/Ss and basically their everything.

But yeah when I was little I would plug my Gamboy SP in to charge and fall sleep listening to Verdanturf's theme. uwu Forever a personal favourite! It also has an amazing reorchestration.

Aged Consumer

Ahh, similar stuff C:
Aww, that's adorable. I fall asleep to Pokemon music a lot as of current haha. I like putting on playlists of a lot of my favourite themes at night.
Although it is kind of sad in a way, I used to play the HG/SS cinnabar island theme while I was in bed when the games first came out. It makes me feel weirdly nostalgic for something. Not really sure what.

Wealthy Alchemist

hey team Magma..
there's not enough water in this thread. 7.8/10 emotion_dealwithit

TEAM AQUA FOREVER! emotion_awesome

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Some themes/songs just hit this weird little bit of your soul and make you sad/nostalgic for no reason. That's what Verdanturf did for me. It's weird how Pokemon does that haha! It just resonates well to you.

Otherworldly Bunny

14,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I AM TEAM AQUA GO TEAM AQUA I just hang out here for cheap drinks and to make fun of over serious admins.

Aged Consumer

I basically only enter the Magma base for cheap lemonade. And to occasionally stare at Maxie.
Unmoving Maxie. Forever stagnant, Maxie. My sweet, sweet Maxie...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff