Total Votes:[ 445 ]

Liberal Phantom

MinteeCutee
RockNRollPorcelain
MinteeCutee
RockNRollPorcelain
MinteeCutee
Wow!
350+ ball pythons. Only 186 found alive. All the rats/mice were dying/dead too!
emotion_0A0

Clicky pooh.

I saw this on Reddit =[ Well, the original article, not the funds request. Made me cry =[ I just can't believe that anyone would do such a horrible, disgusting thing. All those poor ball pythons =[ I wish I could take them all and loves them! (I'm not that far from Santa Ana, so SERIOUSLY considering this....)
I just seen the video!

Clicky!

I'm bawling =[ Those poor snakes =[ (And some got mad at me for caring more about the snakes than the mentally ill man -_- WTF PEOPLE)
The mentally ill man isn't near death. Puh!

Seriously! Apparently I was too harsh on him when I said what he did was horrible. -_- are you kidding me? He neglected hundreds of beautiful snakes! He killed them! If it was people who had died everyone would be outraged, but since its "just snakes" he's the victim, not the dead and sick animals. -_-

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
MinteeCutee
Wow!
emotion_0A0

Clicky pooh.

I'm so upset by this, when I watched the video yesterday I started crying and had to get Mayday and give her some snuggles. The press coverage I've seen doesn't seem to have a bias against snake owners, which is nice for a change, but the comments sections are full of idiots. emotion_facepalm No surprise there...

Liberal Phantom

Friday_Dora
MinteeCutee
Wow!
emotion_0A0

Clicky pooh.

I'm so upset by this, when I watched the video yesterday I started crying and had to get Mayday and give her some snuggles. The press coverage I've seen doesn't seem to have a bias against snake owners, which is nice for a change, but the comments sections are full of idiots. emotion_facepalm No surprise there...

^^ Agreed. -_- So many people just say stupid s**t. It's so sad what happened. =[ The only thing that made it a little better was that the guy responsible has a mental illness - the animal hording - and so it wasn't anything malicious or cruel on purpose. Like, if he had been sane, he probably wouldn't have done this. But it broke my heart. Completely. All the dead snakes =[ I've donated and emailed the SoCal Herp group because I'm in SoCal and intend to foster/adopt a few of the snakes after the 32 holding period (yay criminal investigations?) They need all the help they can get right now via donations =[ All the animals have mites and other veterinary problems. Makes me want to cry!

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
RockNRollPorcelain
Friday_Dora
MinteeCutee
Wow!
emotion_0A0

Clicky pooh.

^^ Agreed. -_- So many people just say stupid s**t. It's so sad what happened. =[ The only thing that made it a little better was that the guy responsible has a mental illness - the animal hording - and so it wasn't anything malicious or cruel on purpose. Like, if he had been sane, he probably wouldn't have done this. But it broke my heart. Completely. All the dead snakes =[ I've donated and emailed the SoCal Herp group because I'm in SoCal and intend to foster/adopt a few of the snakes after the 32 holding period (yay criminal investigations?) They need all the help they can get right now via donations =[ All the animals have mites and other veterinary problems. Makes me want to cry!

I have a hard time sympathizing with this guy. I've gone through bouts of extreme depression, but I've always made sure my critters got the care they needed. Granted I've never had as many as him, but when you think about just how much negligence it takes to kill a ball python... They're incredibly tough snakes. I've seen BPs come from horrible, horrible conditions and still be able to make a full recovery. I plan on donating money as well, this is going to be a long process and they've already racked up 11k in vet bills. This whole thing just disgusts me.

Liberal Phantom

Friday_Dora
RockNRollPorcelain
Friday_Dora
MinteeCutee
Wow!
emotion_0A0

Clicky pooh.

I have a hard time sympathizing with this guy. I've gone through bouts of extreme depression, but I've always made sure my critters got the care they needed. Granted I've never had as many as him, but when you think about just how much negligence it takes to kill a ball python... They're incredibly tough snakes. I've seen BPs come from horrible, horrible conditions and still be able to make a full recovery. I plan on donating money as well, this is going to be a long process and they've already racked up 11k in vet bills. This whole thing just disgusts me.

Same here =[ I actually ended up getting a little knowledge about hoarding because I really didn't understand it and was just angry at the deaths of the animals (still am). But apparently, animal hoarders are experiencing psychosis, or rather, a psychotic break of sorts. They get tons of animals, and in their minds they are doing a good thing (again, their brain is no longer functioning logically or sanely at this point). So they collect as many of the animals as they can, but then they just kind of cease to take care of them. But they're not aware that they're not taking care of them. That's the crazy part. They think they are, but they're not. They think the animals are healthy and all that, when the animals are dying. They are completely in an alternate reality and have no grasp of what they are doing. So it's really sad. Am I still pissed at him for what he did? Hell yeah. Do I want him to be held accountable? Oh yeah. Do I think he should go to prison? Mmmm...I'd think he'd do better in a hospital.

But yeah, I've seen snakes survive amazing conditions as well. Ugh...so much to be done >.< Poor critters =[ What drove me nuts when I read about it was that the government was aware he was hoarding these snakes a YEAR before this happened. A whole YEAR. -_- So they checked on him and everything was fine then. But really? You don't think to maybe periodically check up on him when he owned HUNDREDS of snakes? In one house? That REALLY wasn't built for that? It took the neighborhood smelling of death for people to get involved. Baffles me. Truly baffles me. I think everyone involved screwed up, and the only ones who are truly suffering for it are the snakes. =[ It's not fair. And no one's really pissed (we're all sad and shocked, and only us snake lovers are pissed) because they were snakes and not dogs and cats (though this happens all the time with dogs and cats being hoarded by animal hoarders). So this is probably happening somewhere else right now, and no one is doing anything about it again. And they won't until it's too late. =/ (Sorry, rambling a little)

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
RockNRollPorcelain
Same here =[ I actually ended up getting a little knowledge about hoarding because I really didn't understand it and was just angry at the deaths of the animals (still am). But apparently, animal hoarders are experiencing psychosis, or rather, a psychotic break of sorts. They get tons of animals, and in their minds they are doing a good thing (again, their brain is no longer functioning logically or sanely at this point). So they collect as many of the animals as they can, but then they just kind of cease to take care of them. But they're not aware that they're not taking care of them. That's the crazy part. They think they are, but they're not. They think the animals are healthy and all that, when the animals are dying. They are completely in an alternate reality and have no grasp of what they are doing. So it's really sad. Am I still pissed at him for what he did? Hell yeah. Do I want him to be held accountable? Oh yeah. Do I think he should go to prison? Mmmm...I'd think he'd do better in a hospital.

But yeah, I've seen snakes survive amazing conditions as well. Ugh...so much to be done >.< Poor critters =[ What drove me nuts when I read about it was that the government was aware he was hoarding these snakes a YEAR before this happened. A whole YEAR. -_- So they checked on him and everything was fine then. But really? You don't think to maybe periodically check up on him when he owned HUNDREDS of snakes? In one house? That REALLY wasn't built for that? It took the neighborhood smelling of death for people to get involved. Baffles me. Truly baffles me. I think everyone involved screwed up, and the only ones who are truly suffering for it are the snakes. =[ It's not fair. And no one's really pissed (we're all sad and shocked, and only us snake lovers are pissed) because they were snakes and not dogs and cats (though this happens all the time with dogs and cats being hoarded by animal hoarders). So this is probably happening somewhere else right now, and no one is doing anything about it again. And they won't until it's too late. =/ (Sorry, rambling a little)

Just gonna chop down the quote tree a bit... rofl

I've heard people say snakes are like potato chips - you can't have just one - and I get that. I've got four snakes and I would like to get a fifth before the year is out. You get hooked. The problems seem to arise when people collect too many animals too quickly and then burn out all within about a year (I've seen this happen too many times) and when you have more animals than you can possibly care for.

If this guy had gotten the help he needed, if anyone had thought to do a psychological assessment, it could have been caught. The snakes that were found dead could have been rehomed because this guy got overwhelmed whether he realized it or not. You're right, everyone involved screwed up. But I'm very happy to see that the herp community has stepped up and is trying to make things right with the surviving snakes, I don't think the public at large realizes just how passionate reptile people are about our animals. It's possible to love your snake just as much as someone loves their dog, the snake won't lick your face and play fetch with you of course but that doesn't mean the relationship isn't every bit as rewarding.

Mmkay, now I rambled too.

Liberal Phantom

Friday_Dora
RockNRollPorcelain

Just gonna chop down the quote tree a bit... rofl

I've heard people say snakes are like potato chips - you can't have just one - and I get that. I've got four snakes and I would like to get a fifth before the year is out. You get hooked. The problems seem to arise when people collect too many animals too quickly and then burn out all within about a year (I've seen this happen too many times) and when you have more animals than you can possibly care for.

If this guy had gotten the help he needed, if anyone had thought to do a psychological assessment, it could have been caught. The snakes that were found dead could have been rehomed because this guy got overwhelmed whether he realized it or not. You're right, everyone involved screwed up. But I'm very happy to see that the herp community has stepped up and is trying to make things right with the surviving snakes, I don't think the public at large realizes just how passionate reptile people are about our animals. It's possible to love your snake just as much as someone loves their dog, the snake won't lick your face and play fetch with you of course but that doesn't mean the relationship isn't every bit as rewarding.

Mmkay, now I rambled too.

Snakes are absolutely like potato chips. It's IMPOSSIBLE to have just one haha. I currently have 3, and I have a fourth one that I'm paying for, who will be shipped to me by the breeder as soon as I finish paying. And of course, I have all these dreams and wants when it comes to snake. I like to joke around that I want ALL THE SNAKES, but it's not really a joke, per se...I want so many haha. But I am also perfectly sane and know when I have to stop getting snakes. This poor guy was too sick to know the difference between reality and fantasy, and had no idea he was doing poorly. =/ So he never went for help because he didn't think he needed it. Mental illness is so sad =[

But I am so glad everyone's been jumping at the opportunity to help. On their facebook, they said that so many people have offered to foster and adopt all the animals, and they're so honored that everyone's been sending in donations when they can. The herp community is seriously a strong community, and we really do jump at the chance to help other reptiles. Psh, my snake totally licks my face xD Hahaha Actually, they all play with my hair, which I think is super adorable. My favorite thing to do with them is just snuggle. They always are so happy to cuddle =] They like the warmth!

Lonely Lunatic

Just stopping in, don't want to look at the link to the dead ball pythons as I would be too sad.

I really miss my snakes, I had 2 boas and 2 corn snakes that I had to give up over a year ago due to my life being to hectic for pets when my husband got sick. It was nice that the two corn snake went to a wonderful woman who loves them so much and 1 of the boas who we adopted from a friend going through tough times we were able to give back as she had her life together. The last boas always makes me sad as she was very old and had some health issues and a rescue offered to take her in but she only lived a few month out of my care, she was 16 years old and possibly older with breathing issues.

I hope to one day again have a snake, loved the boas BCI's, though might go for one of the hog island dwarfs.

Got really sad the other day when a friend sent me a posting of the almost 50 pythons that were put down due to the owner not having the permit to own the large species.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/snake-breeder-questions-euthanization-of-46-pythons-1.1366274

Sad day for snakes.

Liberal Phantom

bumblebeez
Just stopping in, don't want to look at the link to the dead ball pythons as I would be too sad.

I really miss my snakes, I had 2 boas and 2 corn snakes that I had to give up over a year ago due to my life being to hectic for pets when my husband got sick. It was nice that the two corn snake went to a wonderful woman who loves them so much and 1 of the boas who we adopted from a friend going through tough times we were able to give back as she had her life together. The last boas always makes me sad as she was very old and had some health issues and a rescue offered to take her in but she only lived a few month out of my care, she was 16 years old and possibly older with breathing issues.

I hope to one day again have a snake, loved the boas BCI's, though might go for one of the hog island dwarfs.

Got really sad the other day when a friend sent me a posting of the almost 50 pythons that were put down due to the owner not having the permit to own the large species.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/snake-breeder-questions-euthanization-of-46-pythons-1.1366274

Sad day for snakes.

Whaaaaaat? They punished the SNAKES for the owner being a moron? *grumble grumble* People need to havemore compassion for our reptilian friends!

Lonely Lunatic

For sad stories about snakes I like to make myself happy again looking up cute pictures of snakes in hats, because how can anyone be scared of a snake in a hat, it's just to cute.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lonely Lunatic

RockNRollPorcelain
bumblebeez

Sad day for snakes.

Whaaaaaat? They punished the SNAKES for the owner being a moron? *grumble grumble* People need to havemore compassion for our reptilian friends!

I know, they guy would have given them up too so they could be taken somewhere they could live, 2 or 3 years ago BC made it illegal to have a snake over 8 feet without a permit. So stupid owner for not getting one, they gave lots of warnings of the law, but it wasn't necessary to kill them all but the SPCA doesn't deal with snakes, so they get put down.

I got the permit because I had a 7 foot BCI at the time and I wouldn't risk anything, it was like 2 days and 80$ super easy permit to get at the time. So the reptile community here has no sympathy for him but it still so sad.

Lonely Lunatic

heart Just one more heart

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Liberal Phantom

bumblebeez
RockNRollPorcelain
bumblebeez

Sad day for snakes.

I know, they guy would have given them up too so they could be taken somewhere they could live, 2 or 3 years ago BC made it illegal to have a snake over 8 feet without a permit. So stupid owner for not getting one, they gave lots of warnings of the law, but it wasn't necessary to kill them all but the SPCA doesn't deal with snakes, so they get put down.

I got the permit because I had a 7 foot BCI at the time and I wouldn't risk anything, it was like 2 days and 80$ super easy permit to get at the time. So the reptile community here has no sympathy for him but it still so sad.

I have no sympathy for him for being stupid and lazy, but it absolutely breaks my heart that the snakes had to pay for his foolishness. =[ It's not fair that just because the SPCA doesn't deal with them, they had to die. They couldn't contact a local Herp Society? =[ Makes me want to cry. All those lovely and sweet creatures =[

Tipsy Kitten

User Image

Sharing one of my cute snoot pictures.

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
What a cute snoot! whee

Update video on the rescued ball pythons. They're looking good, hopefully they'll start to go to their new homes soon. I think it's a great idea to adopt them out to schools and education programs, my middle school's ball python is the reason I have snakes today.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff