Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ms Nooks_

Sorry hiysinphlay, For kind of getting off topic in your thread...i'll kindly jump out now...but i do enjoy your updates.

You fine~! It's nice seeing other stories of saved animals c: I don't mind at all
Update!

User Image
Is Adopted!!

Got in a new stray, a volunteer named him. Spot; Shepherd / Heeler Mix
Also got in a new dog, transfer from another shelter. He was a puppy mill auction dog he's a 10 month old Dachshund / Yorkshire Terrier Mix and they sold him for a $1.00 Yeah, it's a cruel world. He's real sweet, supper shy though of course, but he's coming around. And because he is so young we have faith in the potty training.
User Image
Sandi has given birth to two of the most adorable little puppies c: At least it was a small litter, she's doing well, and in about 8 weeks or so (possibly longer as it all depends on weight) we should have two little chi-chi pups for adoption.

Got in two more cats, both owner surrenders, they actually came from the same individual who we got Carr and Mamie from. They are moving and unable to take any animals with them, they had found a home for these two but it fell through last minute so they asked us to take them, they also very graciously left a sizable donation.
User Image User Image
And we finally got a picture of Mamie.
User Image
We also got in another cat, stray, I can't for the life of me remember anything about it though >.>; So I'll get back to you all on that one.

User Image
Was euthanize due to spraying/urinating outside the litter box, and being anti-social (She had no problem hissing at anyone she didn't like :/ )
It makes me so mad! If this cat hadn't been declawed it's very likely she wouldn't have the issues she had that lead to her being put down. I'll bet the attitude problem was due to her being in constant pain, and the urination problem is probably the same thing.... I just wish people would learn that declawing is not a solution. We may not get a lot of declawed cats in, but when we do we almost always end up having to euthanize them...

Invisible Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
I watched My Cat from Hell and Jackson always tell people with declawed cats to get a different, gentler type of cat little because the normal cat litter causes them pain in their paws and that was the reason most people were having litter box problems with their declaw cat...There no way your shelter could try that? Poor sweet angel. =(

A lot of people keep telling me to get Loki declawed, but i refuse to.
Ms Nooks_
I watched My Cat from Hell and Jackson always tell people with declawed cats to get a different, gentler type of cat little because the normal cat litter causes them pain in their paws and that was the reason most people were having litter box problems with their declaw cat...There no way your shelter could try that? Poor sweet angel. =(

We run solely off of donations, and there's no pet stores around here, so if it can't be bought at Walmart it's not terribly doable. People also usually only donate the cheapest bought litter. Another thing we have to consider is if someone will be willing to adopt a cat who needs special litter (especially if it's something they have to drive an hour to buy) The general person around here is barely willing to pay the $75 adoption fee let alone adopt a cat who has special needs (even something as simple as buying special cat litter). And this is even saying that the cat isn't just going to urinate all over the adopters house, we have had that problem too with declawed cats :/ where they will use their litter box so long as they are confined to a small room, but if allowed to roam the entire house they urinate else where...
Update!

User Image and User Image
Were adopted together! smile

We got in the 10 pit pups we had pre-arranged to get, Willow's pups, not sure about sex and I don't think they have been named yet.
Zeke should be available for adoption soon, he's finally put on enough weight for it to be safe to give him vaccines including rabies c:
Mr. Wiggles came back for a visit... Pretty sure his owner is going to be getting in trouble with the police soon since her dogs are always running loose...
Also got in a new stray, I'm told he's not very nice, took a control stick to get him.
Name; Pointer Mix

User Image
Is being euthanized... This one is a hard one for me, I really love this dog, although I do understand why...
She growls at everyone who is not her normal day to day care takers. When she first came in she was aggressive towards us until she got used to us, but not that she's used to us she's not willing to give other new people a chance, and that's just a danger, the shelter can't put the public at risk like that. I'm going to miss Rylee, may you run free over the rainbow bridge with a never ending supply of tennis balls.

Invisible Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
hiysinphlay
Ms Nooks_

We run solely off of donations, and there's no pet stores around here, so if it can't be bought at Walmart it's not terribly doable. People also usually only donate the cheapest bought litter. Another thing we have to consider is if someone will be willing to adopt a cat who needs special litter (especially if it's something they have to drive an hour to buy) The general person around here is barely willing to pay the $75 adoption fee let alone adopt a cat who has special needs (even something as simple as buying special cat litter). And this is even saying that the cat isn't just going to urinate all over the adopters house, we have had that problem too with declawed cats :/ where they will use their litter box so long as they are confined to a small room, but if allowed to roam the entire house they urinate else where...

Well damn gonk
I guess before i got my first cat ever last year, i really didn't realize how bad the situation is.
I really love this thread because your bring to light what really happens at shelters and reasons why pets get put to sleep. It's really heartbreaking. So thank you for educating me and shining light on this.
Update!

We had in a dog from a car crash by the name of Chip, he had some relatives pick him up unfortunately his owner is the hospital from a heartattack and is in the hospital.

We also got in a stray by the name of Skittles a poodle / Shih-Tzu who went home.

Bosley; Pointer / Labrador Retriever Mix has gone home.

We have also now put Zeke up for adoption! But only on petfinder, he was on fb for all of 10 second before we had 30 comments, most of which were ridiculous... Zeke needs a very special home, he has a sensitive stomach, we did not put all this work into this emaciated dog to have him go just anywhere...

We got in the 10 pups, supper cute actually.
Jaxson; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Claira; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Athena; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Julie; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Jasper; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Raven; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Zuri; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Rosa; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Zach; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Spike; American Pit Bull Terrier / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy

We got in a new stray cat who has been euthanized; feral.
Misty was sent to the vet to be spayed before going home with her new adopter, unfortunately she came back heartworm positive :c She was euthanized.

Sandi lost one of the puppies :c
Update!

User Image and Jaxson; Rottweiler / American Bulldog / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Were adopted!

Hogan is also going to be going on a home trial smile

We got in two new dogs transfers from another shelter that is overrun right now
Dante; Australian Terrier
?; Bichon Frise
And two cats; strays.
Maynerd; Black + White Tuxedo DSH
Magnolia; Black DSH

Strider is getting big, he's such a sweet boy.

New pictures:
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image
Update!

User Image and User Image and User Image and Rosa; Rottweiler / American Bulldog / Australian Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
Were all adopted today biggrin

Got in three new kittens
?; Tabby Kitten
?; Tabby Kitten
?; Tabby + White Kitten

Got in three new dogs. Their owner passed away, and we are told that he was not living at home for quite some time. The dogs are feed but we doubt any other care was offered, they are pretty matted and are going to need some grooming.
?; Pekingese
?; Pekingese
?; Pekingese
Update

User Image
Was adopted smile

Hogan left on his home trail so cross your fingers for him! Spot and Elise went home today.

Got pictures of some of the adoptable dogs/puppies
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

Cross your fingers for some more adoptions, specifically would be nice if we could get some of those pit pups out they are getting big >.>;
Oh and don't worry about Bandit looking so nasty, he's on the list to be groomed honest, we just wanted to give him a little time to settle in and be sure that he trusted us. We'll get a better picture after he gets groomed.
Ms Nooks_

Cats with behavioural peeing problems are extremely hard to rehome. There is no guarantee that the litter will "cure" the problem and the new family won't end up with cat pee all over their walls/carpet/furniture.

And definitely don't get your cat declawed - if you need help with scratching people/clawing furniture, those behavioural problems are MUCH easier to fix than spraying/inappropriate elimination.
Update

User Image and User Image
Were adopted!

User Image
Was reclaimed. Not entirely sure what happened there, I know we got him from a no-kill shelter that was desperate for room, and he had come in as a stray.

We got in another cat, stray. Stray from out of county -.- stupid person wouldn't leave. She drove all the way down to us because somehow she thought we were a No-Kill shelter and then refused to take the cat back with her when we informed her otherwise. Cute gray cat, supper sweet, had the sniffles when I was there though :/
?; Gray DSH
Magnolia and Maynerd also have URIs.. minor right now.

Also some bad news, their adopters reported to us that Jasper and Jaxon have gotten sick, they both tested parvo positive, but Jaxon was better overnight.... and they both had shots right before leaving so they would have tested positive anyway. We're holding the remaining pups from that litter just to be on the safe side and we have also refunded the adoption fees for the two sick puppies sad

Hogan is back at the shelter, unfortunately the resident dog did not like him as much as he had at the shelter, his home and all that jazz.
Update!

Got in two new dogs
Ace; Chihuahua
Poncho; Chihuahua
Both owner surrenders. Their new grandchild was severely allergic to them. They have yet to adjust to us, thus far they have been fairly aggressive...
Also got in another stray, we know his owner so we've been trying to reach them with no success yet. Varko; Rough Collie / Australian Shepherd Mix
We also got in Jace [husky] who was reclaimed.
We also had a lovely individual leave a box with 5 one day old puppies sitting on our doorstep... We pulled out all the stops, contacted everyone right away, and finally arranged to get them transferred to the Animal Rescue League, who had a surrogate momma to take them on. We did finally get a call and figure out who they belonged to, stressed owner just didn't know what to do. She had called us before and we were going to be taking the puppies in 6 or so weeks after they were born, but apparently mom dog decided that she was not only going to start killing the puppies but also try to eat her owner, fun fun.

Unfortunately some animals had to be euthanized..
Raven; Rottweiler / American Bulldog / German Shepherd / Boarder Collie Mix Puppy
User Image
Maynerd; Black + White Tuxedo DSH
Magnolia; Black DSH
Raven and Julie got really skinny and began vomiting like the ones that were adopted and reported sick :c Maynerd and Magnolia's URIs got worse, and of course they spread it to the three kittens who are now on meds.

Magical Glitch

31,375 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
This is a really sweet thread heart

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
its just so weird seeing all the dogs that arent pits. i keep forgetting they arent nearly as common in other areas lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff