Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think being able "Padlock" your items to protect them from hackers and scammers is a good idea?

Yes! Why don't they have this already? 0.90420168067227 90.4% [ 3228 ]
No, I don't think this is a good idea. 0.036414565826331 3.6% [ 130 ]
I don't care / Poll Whore option 0.059383753501401 5.9% [ 212 ]
Total Votes:[ 3570 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 352 353 354 > >> >>> »|

4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh
yeah..kool
awesome idea i sign xD
ice-white-angel
yeah..kool

I'm glad you like it...but you have to post "I sign" somewhere in the post otherwise I can't count it as a siggy wink
This is a fantastic idea! I'll sign.

Genius

4,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
Signed.

And I'm making you a banner. ;o
x___glitch
Signed.

And I'm making you a banner. ;o

Oh thank you! And the banner you made is lovely 4laugh
Even though it's a good precaution, I don't really like the idea. Often I spontaneously want to sell something or trade things to my mule and I will not like to wait.
Think about this: a scammer gets into your account and wants your items, but cannot get them due to them being padlocked. Therefore you lose your account and likely it will be banned anyway and then they will be gone forever with no way to recover them. Also if you know somebody is purposly trying to ban your account and you want to save as many things as you can, if you have them padlocked, how would that help? Trust me, it has happened before. I know somebody today who was getting hacked and he tried to send his Winged Anklets (more than 1mil gold value) to his mule, which he did, but it was banned to none of his knowledge by the attacker and he lost everything. But instances like that, you might need emergency transfer and padlock will screw that up.

Just my two cents.
i would very much like to sign this petition!

i have my other "better" (for lack of the term) items on my mule because i worked hard on questing for them but they dont work with my newest quest but i also dont want them sitting in my inventory because i think to myself "what if i do get hacked?? i would have to quest for them all over agian!" if i had the option to Padlock those items i would feel alot safer!
sounds like a good idea, I'll sign XD
That might work.
But in a long run it would be a pain in the a**.
I mean I have mules that I swich things to and from.
That in itself is hard to do because, if it is a sweet item (like a Darkhalo) gaia could get all pissy.
Just work with the idea a tad more and maybe I'll sign.
Lietenant
Even though it's a good precaution, I don't really like the idea. Often I spontaneously want to sell something or trade things to my mule and I will not like to wait.
Think about this: a scammer gets into your account and wants your items, but cannot get them due to them being padlocked. Therefore you lose your account and likely it will be banned anyway and then they will be gone forever with no way to recover them. Also if you know somebody is purposly trying to ban your account and you want to save as many things as you can, if you have them padlocked, how would that help? Trust me, it has happened before. I know somebody today who was getting hacked and he tried to send his Winged Anklets (more than 1mil gold value) to his mule, which he did, but it was banned to none of his knowledge by the attacker and he lost everything. But instances like that, you might need emergency transfer and padlock will screw that up.

Just my two cents.

True. Maybe you would chose not to padlock your items. That would be your decision.
But the option should be there for those of us who want to.
Another point: Supossedly hackers have programs that will allow them to see what items and how much gold you have on an account. I'm sure if Gaia implements padlocking, the hackers will rewrite their programs in order to see if your items are padlocked. In that case, if they see that everything valuable is locked up, they might not bother to hack you since they can't get your items anyway. And suppose you do get hacked, your password changed, you can't access your account. Your items are protected for a month. In the mean time, you can file a hacking report and there is a chance, maybe a small one but still a chance, that a Gaia mod can get there before the items are unlocked and give you your account back. I'd rather have a small chance then none at all, wouldn't you?
And about the someone purposely trying to ban your account. If you are on at the same time and could save your items (as in the case you stated) you could simply change your password and LOG OUT. Doing that would log the hacker out too, and then you could go back to your account with your new password and unless you were hacked again, the problem would be gone. And all your padlocked items would still be there.
I'm signing.

*signs paper* YAY
I kinda like the idea, although I don't care about most of my items so much as the account itself. It takes way too long to get a hacked account back. But if nothing else, this would be a slap in the face to the hacker. But since you have the choice to lock items yourself, I'll sign.

I'd like to give a little more technical advice:

Although its true that the value on each item could just be a 1 or 0, it would actually have to be be 8 bits, or a byte. Computers think it factors of 8. Though, since we are entering a world with storage space in tarabytes, or trillions of bytes, a single byte is meaningless.

Second, from an amateur programmer's point of view, there would be a lot more than putting a single number on each item. You have to make the system that reads the number as well, and this system has to be able to permit or reject selling or trading with a certain item. Not saying its impossible, not in the least bit. Actually they have a similar system set up to allow or deny selling an item that is attached to your car.
That's sort of useless since most hackers change your account password anyways, so what would be the point of keeping your items... <_<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff