Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think being able "Padlock" your items to protect them from hackers and scammers is a good idea?

Yes! Why don't they have this already? 0.90420168067227 90.4% [ 3228 ]
No, I don't think this is a good idea. 0.036414565826331 3.6% [ 130 ]
I don't care / Poll Whore option 0.059383753501401 5.9% [ 212 ]
Total Votes:[ 3570 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 352 353 354 > >> >>> »|

I'll sign, just please read below.

I agree with the padlocks and everything, except the one month renewal. This is because, what if you just happen to get hacked when your one month is up? Then the hacker would be able to simply say 'don't renew' and they'd be able to take all the items that are able to be renewed. How about, if instead of a month, you are allowed to equip a padlock to any item(s) you would like, and you wouldn't have to have a time limit on when you have to/can renew it. In that matter, the question: Then how would I get the padlock off? can be easily answered, just simply click on the item you have a padlock on and a pop-up ((not in another tab or page)) would appear with an option section.

There is the "Do you want to equip this item? yes or no" section, "Give as a gift" section, and then below that you would have a "Do you want to remove your padlock? yes or no" If you want to, click yes, then you will have a password box appear, you can type in your password and the padlock would be removed. But, you should also have the option to place a different password in for your items than what is place to access your account.

Ex: Say your password is; "one" ((though not possible, it's only an example)), you can have the option to change the password to get a padlock released, say you put the password for the items as; "Two", then you would be more secure about your items not being stolen.

Which that then brings me to; why shouldn't we be able to put a padlock on our gold, but still be able to spend it, just not trade it. Hackers usually don't think to do anything but get what they want and scram. If they can't trade anything or get access to anything, then they can't steal anything from you.

What do you think?

Shirtless Powerhouse

Dakarta.the.fire.fox

I agree with the padlocks and everything, except the one month renewal. This is because, what if you just happen to get hacked when your one month is up? Then the hacker would be able to simply say 'don't renew' and they'd be able to take all the items that are able to be renewed. How about, if instead of a month, you are allowed to equip a padlock to any item(s) you would like, and you wouldn't have to have a time limit on when you have to/can renew it. In that matter, the question: Then how would I get the padlock off? can be easily answered, just simply click on the item you have a padlock on and a pop-up ((not in another tab or page)) would appear with an option section.

There is the "Do you want to equip this item? yes or no" section, "Give as a gift" section, and then below that you would have a "Do you want to remove your padlock? yes or no" If you want to, click yes, then you will have a password box appear, you can type in your password and the padlock would be removed. But, you should also have the option to place a different password in for your items than what is place to access your account.

Ex: Say your password is; "one" ((though not possible, it's only an example)), you can have the option to change the password to get a padlock released, say you put the password for the items as; "Two", then you would be more secure about your items not being stolen.

Which that then brings me to; why shouldn't we be able to put a padlock on our gold, but still be able to spend it, just not trade it. Hackers usually don't think to do anything but get what they want and scram. If they can't trade anything or get access to anything, then they can't steal anything from you.

What do you think?

No. The point of the password is that there is no way to remove it. Frankly, it's more likely that a hacker will get both of your passwords, unlock your items, and steal them than it is that he will hack you at exactly the right time when your items are vulnerable.

The whole point of this is that it is an ALTERNATIVE to the idea of having a second password to protect items, because as everyone says, "Anyone who can get phished out of one password can get phished out of two."

Shirtless Powerhouse

Meltu2
Why not just have a pin number for your inventory, like a vault. You could lock your inventory instead.

That way it wouldn't take up extra staff resources to unlock an item before the month was up.

Why would staff go unlocking items before the month was up? You chose to lock it, you can't go demand that they unlock it. o.O

Like I've said before, additional passwords or PIN numbers are a no-go, those are still susceptible to attacks by phishers and hackers and scammers. Using padlocks that cannot be removed is the only way to absolutely safeguard one's items.
Mhm... I see. Lol. Well, that's why you don't make your second password as obvious as your other...
But okiedays. XD
I see your point... though I still don't agree with the one month thing... It's an alright plan, just not all that great of an idea. Because what if you want to sell it the second day at which you locked it up? Then you'd have to wait for the month to get over with. Waiting several weeks... It would be a bit inconvenient at that way...

Shirtless Powerhouse

Dakarta.the.fire.fox
Mhm... I see. Lol. Well, that's why you don't make your second password as obvious as your other...
But okiedays. XD
I see your point... though I still don't agree with the one month thing... It's an alright plan, just not all that great of an idea. Because what if you want to sell it the second day at which you locked it up? Then you'd have to wait for the month to get over with. Waiting several weeks... It would be a bit inconvenient at that way...

Well, that's the risk you take. Which is why another idea has been proposed that you could choose a length of time to lock your items. Like I said, you have to weigh your decisions about what you want to do with the items before you put a padlock on it. I mean, EVERYONE has at least one item they just love and would never sell, even marketplace addicts!
i got hacked and couldnt get my account back someone is using it i got hacked by clicking on a link that lead to a guild but i got asked to login again but after i coulldnt get into my account i went back and saw the page wasnt www.gaiaonline.com/ectect but it wa`s something ewlse
but i sign
x
Dakarta.the.fire.fox

What do you think?

I think Ganon already covered the "no extra password part"
But about the gold...yes, it would be good to have some sort of protection on our gold. However, I don't know if it would work very well to padlock it, considering that it is something you may very well want to spend spur-the-moment. And being able to buy with it but not trade...that's a good idea, except that the hackers will figure that out, buy items, and send them to their accounts. If anyone comes up with a good idea for protecting gold that would be great!
And thank you again for the banner you made me 4laugh

Hype Spook

12,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Timid 100

I'll sign.

5,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
I sign with gusto!

EDIT: oops.. no extra password... *deletes the first bit.*
~Legal bump~

5,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image
some people might need it within one month o.o... maybe have password different from ur account's?
courtney6776
User Image
some people might need it within one month o.o... maybe have password different from ur account's?

Thank you for signing!
The problem with a secondary password is if a hacker could get one of your passwords, chances are he could get the other too. This is a way that NO ONE could get your items.
I will sign Sara! mrgreen
*signs*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas