<<< << < 1 2 ... 166 167 168

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
saint dreya

Since your friend Tea is no longer posting on Gaia and has all but ignored my post to her, I'm going to send you part of the same post.

Quote:
So if you're not Romani and the Irish Travelers aren't gypsies (which I'm also going to assume other Travelers aren't either) how can you be a gypsy?

Specially based on these two posts of yours:
TeaDidikai
Calelith

So you say.

For as long as I've been on Gaia and posting within the M&R, I have yet to see you PROVE you're part of the Romani culture.
And you never will. Not Romani after all.

TeaDidikai

And you've also been mislead. G~ is a term coined for the Roma people. People who claim to be G~ without being Roma do so for three main reasons. They've been mislead by someone, they're liars, or they belong to an ethnic group that was lumped in with Roma but have their own self-identifier.

Finally, if it's (the word gypsy) a self identifier why do you have such a problem with it?
confused

"I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity."

Fuzzy Strawberry

i'm sure a ******** of people have already pointed this out, but gypsy isn't an ethnic "slur" if you will. saying things like "i got gypped" or using terms like gyppo or gyppie are considered slurs and are shitty and disrespectful, but gypsy is ok. kind of like calling a japanese person a "jap" despite the original term (gypsy/japanese) not being a slur in itself.
eta: i meant that jap is a slur like gyppo would be, if that wasn't clear. don't call people japs.

i get that the usage of "gypsy" is pretty controversial, namely when used in a negative fashion, and i know some romani people condemn the term because of stereotypes associated with it, but the word itself isn't inherently a slur and/or off limits.

that being said, i think it would be right for gaia to respect romani people who resent the usage of "gypsy" by changing the name, particularly since the item itself is very stereotypical. so i'll sign your petition, if you're still taking signatures.

Devoted Pirate

This clip from Hot Fuzz sealed the deal for me in deciding if gypsy was a slur or not. Change the location from rural ******** nowhere UK to rural ******** nonwhere USA, and change "gypsy scum" to "***** scum". Same effect. Also, spoiler if you haven't seen Hot Fuzz.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Blackrose_Knight

So you're going to use a comedy movie out of the UK as a way to seal the deal on if gypsy is a slur or not?

Any word can be a slur, it all depends on the context/how it's being used.

"I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity."

Beloved Survivor

6,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Contributor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Ice-Cold Angel

34,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Pie For All! 300

Quick Reply

Submit