Welcome to Gaia! ::

Whenever I wear stage makeup I break out horribly. It happens to everyone else in the cast, too. Does anyone know anything to help with this?

LOLLl qAq's Bae

Questionable Baby

24,800 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Best thing to do is tell whoever buys the makeup.. Of if you're reguired to buy a certain brand take it up with whomever is in charge of that. You could also just go out and buy hypo-allergenic make-up, or go even one step farther and by hypo-allergenic for sensitive skin.. Just a thought.
Tell your makeup person to buy some Kryolan. It's a stage makeup company, but their products (all 10,000 of them) won't make you break out.
Tamgerine
Whenever I wear stage makeup I break out horribly. It happens to everyone else in the cast, too. Does anyone know anything to help with this?

I've been acting for 13 years and all I've ever used is over the counter make-up. No expensive "theatre" make-up for me. I don't wear it normally and I still don't break out with extended use.
If EVERYONE is breaking out, then the makeup could be expired or there could be a problem with bacteria. Does each actor get a new applicator sponge every night? Do they reuse any application thingies at all? Do you wear moisturizer under your makeup? How old is it? Does everyone take care to wash it off that night and then moisturize like crazy?

There could be a number of factors that make individuals break out, but if everyone is doing it....
The Lisa Faerie
If EVERYONE is breaking out, then the makeup could be expired or there could be a problem with bacteria. Does each actor get a new applicator sponge every night? Do they reuse any application thingies at all? Do you wear moisturizer under your makeup? How old is it? Does everyone take care to wash it off that night and then moisturize like crazy?

There could be a number of factors that make individuals break out, but if everyone is doing it....
I also know that if you share make-up with other people, their bactiria and fungus and junk like that become your bactiria and junk. the same holds true to the little applicator things. They're disposeable for an atiquate reason.So whatever you do USE YOUR OWN MAKE-UP.
I use MaxFactor and never broke out. The whole cast uses that kind too. Oh, and it may be that sharing the makeup is mixing your facial chemistry and causing the breakouts, not the makeup itself. You could purchase some for yourself. MaxFactor is a good option, but you can find cheaper versions smile
maybe there's something wrong with the make-up like it's gone bad..if that can happen. Or it's made wrong. maybe u should each bring ur own makeup so u all can each get it how u want.
The Lisa Faerie

That's possible. We use new sponges but most of us don't mosturize as much as we should, I suppose. We don't have a say in the makeup we get, though.

Plus we do all use the same makeup. That probably is a factor.
I've always had a problem with stage makeup too. It probably has something to do with being a teen, the stress, the lack of breathing in the skin, and the lack of sleep. Oh the joy.

The shows I'm in tend to use really heavy-duty makeup too. ie: the type of stuff that touching your face results in brown hands. xp
I'm so glad that I've never had to use heavy-duty makup. Mary-Kay foundation and baby powder for me, huzzah!

It works. A layer of moisturizer and then, quickly, the makeup. Let the first layer dry, and then more foundation and then baby powder.

I also usually don't wear any pink-toned blush ((I only recently found brown-toned blush that didn't look horrible on me)) because my cheeks go pink under the lights anyway. Huzzah for naturally pink cheeks. That and anything pink-toned tended to look horrible on me anyway.
A good way to get rid of existing acne is to make a moisturizing salve with plain aloe gel (about 1/4 of a cup) mixed with 10 drops each of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The aloe will moisturize skin, and the essential oils will kill the bacteria. If you have oily skin, use one ounce of witch hazel instead of the aloe. Apply either after a hot shower, and the acne should start to clear up.
oi! i hate stage make up... i was in one play where i had to wear lip-stick on my chin and forehead (dont even bother asking why) ... god, i hate people..

and hey,
Quote:
good way to get rid of existing acne is to make a moisturizing salve with plain aloe gel (about 1/4 of a cup) mixed with 10 drops each of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The aloe will moisturize skin, and the essential oils will kill the bacteria. If you have oily skin, use one ounce of witch hazel instead of the aloe. Apply either after a hot shower, and the acne should start to clear up.

eek how do you know that?!?!
ChikakoFushida
A good way to get rid of existing acne is to make a moisturizing salve with plain aloe gel (about 1/4 of a cup) mixed with 10 drops each of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The aloe will moisturize skin, and the essential oils will kill the bacteria. If you have oily skin, use one ounce of witch hazel instead of the aloe. Apply either after a hot shower, and the acne should start to clear up.

Never ever ever put anything oil-based on your face if you have acne.

And I couldn't do it anyway. Damn aloe allergies.

Wash twice a day and moisturize with Cetaphil. That has worked for several people that I know, plus it was recommended by my derm.

People with acne or any skin problems should also not be taking hot showers, as hot water can really, really, really mess with the skin.
Tamgerine
The Lisa Faerie

That's possible. We use new sponges but most of us don't mosturize as much as we should, I suppose. We don't have a say in the makeup we get, though.

Plus we do all use the same makeup. That probably is a factor.
I'm guessing that this makeup is school supplied. First rule is to get your own, esspecially anything that goes about the eye. This is primarily for sanitary reasons. And don't share, this is one time where it pays to be mean.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff