Welcome to Gaia! ::

Diligent Bibliophile

15,150 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
Aha
Meanwhile on FF.N, one of my stories is slowly making it's way to one hundred reviews. Got my ninety-seventh today. Which is pretty amazing considering the average fic usually only gets around twenty to forty. I'm shocked, awed, and giddy beyond belief. Sorry for the random bragging, I'm giddy and have no where else to gush about it at the moment. It's one a.m. right now where I live.

Congrads! I reached 100 reviews for one story that I started ~3 years ago (and still ongoing; updated about a month ago)---it's now in the 200's. I tell ya, I was surprised myself when it hit 100, more so when it hit 200. One other story that I wrote reached...like 50 reviews, I think? But I don't want to share with people on Gaia yet...it still needs work and I need to edit it when I finish etc. etc. (and the other too). Plus, it's on a 'secret' account, and I want my accounts as separate as possible for various reasons. Best of luck to ya when you hit 200~!

EXTRA GOODIES IN SPOILER~ emotion_awesome
It's actually pretty common, from my view, for a good/great [not a insult to you; just a general observation from my view] story to reach at least 100 reviews. One story that was my favorite- reached at least 300 reviews. Details etc. were su-par! But then the author, for their own reason(s), deleted it. There was no explanation...they just did it
though, lucky for me, I managed to copy it on my computer, though I will not post it out of respect for the author
. And possibly deleted or requested that their profile be deleted as well. It just disappeared off of my favorite list one day and I could not find it anywhere on the net either. emo

And vice-versa...I've seen some really HORRIBLE stories receive a lot of reviews too. One story that I read, cringing the whole time, had at least 400 reviews. A few were positive reviews (stating it's good or something like that), but many were 'bad' (criticism really). You know the usual; grammar, spelling, characters like cardboard etc. etc. And when someone criticized their story fairly (politely or not), you know the deal:
(1) Another person/reader come along and says "that horrible reviewer is wrong and retarded! u r the bezt biggrin "! (or something like that)
(2) They insult you in their story/stories
(3) If it is anon- they delete it/them
(4) They review your story by writing stuff that makes no sense (revenge reviewing) if you used your real account to review theirs
(5) The author say to this effect, "If you don't like it, then don't read it!" (Which is illogical, as you won't know if you will like it or not till after you read it--soooo?)
(6) They delete their whole story to get rid of the 'horrible reviews' and re-post it later. In addition, they log in to another account and then paste and/or review their own story with the reviews that they had before your 'horrible' review came along from the deleted version. And yes, I have seen this done quite a few times before- it's...crazy....
(7) They PM you and insult you etc. and, if they have the support, get their friends to do the same from both ways (PMs and story reviews)

I am probably missing a few, but those are definitely the top ones... FF.net is seriously getting on my nerves...

What is this 'AO3' you speak of? Another FF site that is, hopefully, more pleasant?

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
I wish I had 100 on any on of my fan stories...

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
kitty868theonly
What is this 'AO3' you speak of? Another FF site that is, hopefully, more pleasant?

It is another FF site and it does have an option for MA stories. But its not as easily navigable as ff.n and there is a 2 month long waiting list to join.

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
2 months? No thanks... Hey renkon, could I ask you to review my Tintin and captain planet fics? smile

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
RiverSong1984
2 months? No thanks... Hey renkon, could I ask you to review my Tintin and captain planet fics? smile

I make no promises, but I'll give them a look.

Diligent Bibliophile

15,150 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
Renkon Root
kitty868theonly

It is another FF site and it does have an option for MA stories. But its not as easily navigable as ff.n and there is a 2 month long waiting list to join.

*Looks it up* Oh yeah, I've been to this place before! It was on some fanfiction site list thing or some sort I bumped into!

Seems like it is a wait list of some sort? One site that I will join in the future is this one. Though, it seems to be having a tough time now and days...

As soon as I get many things sorted out...I will join them and whatever else ff site that looks great~! 3nodding

[And the recent drama that I am hearing about...this is why I started looking for other sites, but this was for a different reason. Sad though, very sad.]

Thanks for the short explanation...and the invite too---need to think about it. xd

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
RiverSong1984

Is it, "When Twixt Two Lovers Shall Meet"?

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
Yeah that's the captain planet one

7,600 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
My highest review count is 308...god I miss the 2008 era. XD

Shameless Loiterer

13,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Champion 300
kitty868theonly

Congrads! I reached 100 reviews for one story that I started ~3 years ago (and still ongoing; updated about a month ago)---it's now in the 200's. I tell ya, I was surprised myself when it hit 100, more so when it hit 200. One other story that I wrote reached...like 50 reviews, I think? But I don't want to share with people on Gaia yet...it still needs work and I need to edit it when I finish etc. etc. (and the other too). Plus, it's on a 'secret' account, and I want my accounts as separate as possible for various reasons. Best of luck to ya when you hit 200~!

EXTRA GOODIES IN SPOILER~ emotion_awesome
It's actually pretty common, from my view, for a good/great [not a insult to you; just a general observation from my view] story to reach at least 100 reviews. One story that was my favorite- reached at least 300 reviews. Details etc. were su-par! But then the author, for their own reason(s), deleted it. There was no explanation...they just did it
though, lucky for me, I managed to copy it on my computer, though I will not post it out of respect for the author
. And possibly deleted or requested that their profile be deleted as well. It just disappeared off of my favorite list one day and I could not find it anywhere on the net either. emo

And vice-versa...I've seen some really HORRIBLE stories receive a lot of reviews too. One story that I read, cringing the whole time, had at least 400 reviews. A few were positive reviews (stating it's good or something like that), but many were 'bad' (criticism really). You know the usual; grammar, spelling, characters like cardboard etc. etc. And when someone criticized their story fairly (politely or not), you know the deal:
(1) Another person/reader come along and says "that horrible reviewer is wrong and retarded! u r the bezt biggrin "! (or something like that)
(2) They insult you in their story/stories
(3) If it is anon- they delete it/them
(4) They review your story by writing stuff that makes no sense (revenge reviewing) if you used your real account to review theirs
(5) The author say to this effect, "If you don't like it, then don't read it!" (Which is illogical, as you won't know if you will like it or not till after you read it--soooo?)
(6) They delete their whole story to get rid of the 'horrible reviews' and re-post it later. In addition, they log in to another account and then paste and/or review their own story with the reviews that they had before your 'horrible' review came along from the deleted version. And yes, I have seen this done quite a few times before- it's...crazy....
(7) They PM you and insult you etc. and, if they have the support, get their friends to do the same from both ways (PMs and story reviews)

I am probably missing a few, but those are definitely the top ones... FF.net is seriously getting on my nerves...

Thanks. And congrats to you too. I was impressed when one of my stories about a less popular character, that was a silly intentioned one shot, and had an oc in it got 18 reviews. There was a lot going against it. Similarly with the 97 count story, but it had slash so I was expecting around 30 write more's. I got so much more than that in both number and content.

It's actually quite bolstering and I really appreciate that my readers took the time to review at all. There are a lot of stories to read, so many people don't bother unless the story really stands out to them.

Response to spoiler talk.
I think of it like making it onto the best sellers list. It's not very often that a book makes it onto the list, especially for a new author. So even if it's low on it, it's still worth celebrating.

Yeah, I've seen crazy things like that too. I was around for the whole "My Immortal" fiasco. (I've actually read the whole thing. Hilarious.) And I've dealt with (1) on your list even though my review had positive elements to it. (I was mostly making note of some major plot holes.) But I've never had to deal with any really nasty stuff. It's sad to know such immature crap like that goes on.

The only people I've seen get high review counts are the truly exceptional, whether it's in a good way or a bad way. There are quite a few stories that I adore and they do have over a hundred reviews, but I've seen some that are really beautiful only get a small amount of basic reviews. What saddens me is when a badly written, thoughtless, clich pile of mediocrity gets a ton of good reviews, but stories that I adore only get a small fraction of attention. Note: I tend to stick to the medium to less popular series/characters. So it's understandable but still sad.

As for my story. It was an experimental piece that not everyone would be willing to give a try, that's why I'm so surprised by the high review count. I was certain most people wouldn't even give the first chapter a read. It's also very finished and I haven't posted anything new recently, so it's not really in the lime light anymore, so to speak. For it to reach as high a review count as it did is really exciting for me.

As for the don't like it don't read it complaint: In some cases that is a legitimate thing to say, when the review is complaining about the type of story or the pairing when said type/pairing was listed in the summary or filters. I've even gotten one such review, the pairing was in the filter and the summary heavily implied( with the words "she moved on" no less) that the main canon pairing was dissolved. In those cases it does call into question why the reader clicked on the story in the first place if s/he didn't like stories that break from that pairing.

However, I do agree with you when it comes to knowing if the writing is to your liking. You can't know if the style or development is handled well until you read it. There have been many stories that I quit reading because they failed to live up to my expectations of them. But I don't even look at the ones that I know aren't about something I want to read.

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
I know of one story that I really love reading that has over1k reviews. It's in the Alice in Wonderland(2010) section, and it is called "Marriage is just An Adventure into Madness." the main pairing is Alice/ Tarrant and us so awesome.

Tipsy Lunatic

8,050 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Millionaire 200
Renkon Root
Chibi Lizzy 99
I've been reading on there for a few years, but I just posted my first story recently. Profile Link- http://www.fanfiction.net/~foreverhopeless

Congrats.
Firsts are always exciting. What fandom is it for?

You mean the book? (I'm not really up to date on all the words people use on there)
Harry Potter ( heart )

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
swetness, finally posted the first chapter in my latest Tintin fan story.

Beloved Detective

10,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
wow I have maybe 19 reviews for one fic.I'd get more reviews if i posted more.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
magus_dark_sorcerer
wow I have maybe 19 reviews for one fic.I'd get more reviews if i posted more.

I've noticed this is true with my own fictions.

The more often you update the more likely it is to be seen on the first page. The more its seen, the more its read, the more its read, the more its reviewed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff