<3 </3

What do you prefer; Subbed or dubbed?

Subbed! 0.60377358490566 60.4% [ 64 ]
Dubbed! 0.24528301886792 24.5% [ 26 ]
Either... 0.15094339622642 15.1% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 106 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

KnightSauro
So when it comes to these times, I'd like to see what the rate between subbed and dubbed.

(And frankly, I hate the under-title of the forum. I hate it simply because "dattebayo" doesn't mean "believe it" and Naruto use it as a catch-phrase, not as a word, when will dubbers ever understand that?)

[EDIT] This poll is dead. Feel free to do the poll, but it would be no use.
The poll ended with:

Subbed!: 14 votes
Dubbed!: 4 votes
Either...: 3 votes

Subbed is superior, as always. I also had a check of who voted what, and as it turns out, those who voted dubbed were people using slang, a little immature and were under 16 years old. So, I believe the ones that actually watch anime that's not dubbed are not using slag, not as immature or mature and above the age of 16.

So that's with the poll people! Subbed anime is the best after all, but this might change is someone starts to spam the poll with their mules, but the poll is dead anyway and the final counts have been counted.
hey im not dat bad i like dubbed cuz subs are only the leters i whana hear how it sounds 4 reals like japanese,english... did dey make a spanish dub?
Tiffychan86
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn
In addition to my posts above, Im going to sum everything up in this one post XD.

Well these are other reasons that I'm for subbed, not dubbed.

Anime is a distinct art form. Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.

In addition in dubbed, sometimes, they translate the meaning quite literally, even when it doesn't make as much sense as it should. I've watched very few dubs in my life, but even I can pick up sentences of that nature. Even when they try to change it so people watching it in English dub will understand what they are trying to say. For example, "It's chow time!" as opposed to the Japanese "Itadakimasu". They both mean generally the same thing ( "Let's eat!" ) "It's chow time!" is much, much less polite, which brings me to my next point.

The core of the Japanese culture, much more apparent in Slice of Life if anything, is quite lost. "Saving face", politeness, keeping the conversation flowing smoothly, including the other in your speech etc.; they are all part of what they do in Japan and is "slightly" reflected in Anime (but not much). They are mostly, if not all lost in the English dubbing of it.

Now of course this is in my point of view, so I'm not going to go around bashing and trying to persuade people to watch subbed instead of dubbed. More than focusing on Naruto dubbed/subbed I actually focused more on the overall anime subbing or dubbing.

Wouldn't adding text to the bottom of the screne be an unacceptable compramise of the artistic integrity as well?

Really while you make great points the problem is a Sub is still an English translation your saying that the mear translation process is what is wrong with dubs but wouldn't those same things be lost in a sub too? You still lose the flow of the conversation the politeness and so on. Hell it should be HARDER to capture politemess with next on the bottom of the screen.

Really you make some good reasons and I agree with you but your reasons are more of a defense of Japanese raw and attack English subs as much as they attack English dubs. You are basically saying that if you don't understand Japanese you can't properly experience anime. Yet your not saying that.

As for English subs, I am not attacking them at all. It seems that I have not been specific enough...? From the people who I watch, they do not translate "Itadakimasu" as "it's chow time!". Rather, what they will do is put "Itadakimasu" in the bottom subs, and at the top part of the video, they will explain. "Itadakimasu is a way of saying thank you before eating a meal for politeness.". Although in dubbed, they will literally say "It's chow time". I heard it in many different animes, and I did not quite like it.

It's just my personal preference.

That's actually pretty pointless. The sub title could just say "thanks for the meal" without needing all that explanatory crap.

And personally, it's a pain having to read such unnecessary translation notes all while obstructing the current scene for a small and simple phrase that has no affect on said scene or is not being used as a pun.

Your ignorance on a topic like this astonishes me. You don't sound very intellectual to me at the moment. Kthanksbye.

2,700 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Yejinn
Tiffychan86
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn
In addition to my posts above, Im going to sum everything up in this one post XD.

Anime is a distinct art form. Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.

In addition in dubbed, sometimes, they translate the meaning quite literally, even when it doesn't make as much sense as it should. I've watched very few dubs in my life, but even I can pick up sentences of that nature. Even when they try to change it so people watching it in English dub will understand what they are trying to say. For example, "It's chow time!" as opposed to the Japanese "Itadakimasu". They both mean generally the same thing ( "Let's eat!" ) "It's chow time!" is much, much less polite, which brings me to my next point.

The core of the Japanese culture, much more apparent in Slice of Life if anything, is quite lost. "Saving face", politeness, keeping the conversation flowing smoothly, including the other in your speech etc.; they are all part of what they do in Japan and is "slightly" reflected in Anime (but not much). They are mostly, if not all lost in the English dubbing of it.

Now of course this is in my point of view, so I'm not going to go around bashing and trying to persuade people to watch subbed instead of dubbed. More than focusing on Naruto dubbed/subbed I actually focused more on the overall anime subbing or dubbing.

Wouldn't adding text to the bottom of the screne be an unacceptable compramise of the artistic integrity as well?

Really while you make great points the problem is a Sub is still an English translation your saying that the mear translation process is what is wrong with dubs but wouldn't those same things be lost in a sub too? You still lose the flow of the conversation the politeness and so on. Hell it should be HARDER to capture politemess with next on the bottom of the screen.

Really you make some good reasons and I agree with you but your reasons are more of a defense of Japanese raw and attack English subs as much as they attack English dubs. You are basically saying that if you don't understand Japanese you can't properly experience anime. Yet your not saying that.

As for English subs, I am not attacking them at all. It seems that I have not been specific enough...? From the people who I watch, they do not translate "Itadakimasu" as "it's chow time!". Rather, what they will do is put "Itadakimasu" in the bottom subs, and at the top part of the video, they will explain. "Itadakimasu is a way of saying thank you before eating a meal for politeness.". Although in dubbed, they will literally say "It's chow time". I heard it in many different animes, and I did not quite like it.

That's actually pretty pointless. The sub title could just say "thanks for the meal" without needing all that explanatory crap.

And personally, it's a pain having to read such unnecessary translation notes all while obstructing the current scene for a small and simple phrase that has no affect on said scene or is not being used as a pun.

Your ignorance on a topic like this astonishes me. You don't sound very intellectual to me at the moment. Kthanksbye.

What? I was merely pointing out that some translation notes like that for simple phrases aren't really needed. "Thanks/Thank you for the meal" can carry the same level of politeness as "itadkimasu". If it were something like a pun or an obscure reference to Japanese culture most Americans wouldn't get then I understand the need for such captions. But using it on such simple phrase is kind of a waste of space and , not to mention, time- especially for those subbing it.
L37e14
KnightSauro
So when it comes to these times, I'd like to see what the rate between subbed and dubbed.

(And frankly, I hate the under-title of the forum. I hate it simply because "dattebayo" doesn't mean "believe it" and Naruto use it as a catch-phrase, not as a word, when will dubbers ever understand that?)

The poll ended with:

Subbed is superior, as always. I also had a check of who voted what, and as it turns out, those who voted dubbed were people using slang, a little immature and were under 16 years old. So, I believe the ones that actually watch anime that's not dubbed are not using slag, not as immature or mature and above the age of 16.

So that's with the poll people! Subbed anime is the best after all, but this might change is someone starts to spam the poll with their mules, but the poll is dead anyway and the final counts have been counted.
hey im not dat bad i like dubbed cuz subs are only the leters i whana hear how it sounds 4 reals like japanese,english... did dey make a spanish dub?

As a part of Europe, I believe Spain usually sub their shows. At least fan-sub them, but I do know that children shows like Pokémon are being dubbed.
Subbed is way better IMO
Tiffychan86
Yejinn
Tiffychan86
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn

What? I was merely pointing out that some translation notes like that for simple phrases aren't really needed. "Thanks/Thank you for the meal" can carry the same level of politeness as "itadkimasu". If it were something like a pun or an obscure reference to Japanese culture most Americans wouldn't get then I understand the need for such captions. But using it on such simple phrase is kind of a waste of space and , not to mention, time- especially for those subbing it.

Sure, let's use the dubbed version in subbed then: "It's chow time!".. Now what would I prefer; "Itadakimasu!" or "It's chow time!"... hmm, not a hard one, is it? Besides, "Itadakimasu" doesn't need to be translated to "Thanks for the meal". It can actually also be recognised as a prayer said before eating, but why bother telling you? When you read something you don't care to check out the facts, right? Which is why they got the explaination thing; so people would understand it better. By all means; if you don't like it then go download the episodes from a crappy low-lifed sub-team instead of the reliable ones.

2,700 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
KnightSauro
Tiffychan86
Yejinn
Tiffychan86
Yejinn

Sure, let's use the dubbed version in subbed then: "It's chow time!".. Now what would I prefer; "Itadakimasu!" or "It's chow time!"... hmm, not a hard one, is it? Besides, "Itadakimasu" doesn't need to be translated to "Thanks for the meal". It can actually also be recognised as a prayer said before eating, but why bother telling you? When you read something you don't care to check out the facts, right? Which is why they got the explaination thing; so people would understand it better. By all means; if you don't like it then go download the episodes from a crappy low-lifed sub-team instead of the reliable ones.

Look, all I'm trying to say is that if there is a simpler alternative to using something in the sub then they should use it. If there really is no other way to explain it then use the extra caption. Otherwise it just feels like they need to constantly state out the obvious.

Invisible Prophet

I'm sorry every time I see a topic like this I have to act even if I don't want to. I will make it clear to you I don't really like Naruto. i'm more of a One Piece fan.

I do however believe Naruto has a well made, and loyal dub and has from day one and I like good dubs. So I defend Naruto's dub dispite not even liking the show. I still watch the dub yet I don't want to watch the show at all. Yes I watch the Japanese version too to compare. So really to defend the dub I watch a show I don't even like twice.

Anyways it is because I'm a One Piece fan that I defend what I believe are good dubs so pasionatly. I know what it is like to have the worst of the worst when it comes to dubs. A dub that should not exist and is a disgrace to the creator's work.

I wanted one Piece to have a dub as good as Naruto's and when it get a good dub I partied. So yeah I'm a bit hard on people who hate the Naruto dub unfairly, who treat it like one of the worst dubs ever. Really with Naruto most of the problems I have with the dub are actually problems with the show and the same problems I have with the Japanese version.

*Goes and hugs his uncut One Piece box sets*

And with that I leave this topic for good. I will see you at the next Naruto dub topic.

Now here is the thing if subs need to clutter a scene with translation notes in order to keep a more polite speech then the sub is doing too much work. It shows that you can't get the same experiance from reading an anime you can from understanding what the characters are saying. A good dub can have the same emotional value as the original yes such dubs are rare but when they happen they are far superior to subtitles which will always have limited emotional value.

8,065 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I liked it subbed. Naruto sounds weird in english.
KnightSauro
L37e14
KnightSauro

The poll ended with:

As a part of Europe, I believe Spain usually sub their shows. At least fan-sub them, but I do know that children shows like Pokémon are being dubbed.
Either are fine with me really.
The sub isn't superior, it is just preferred more by most fans. Subs/originals can have flaws too.

Just listen to Itachi, in the Japanese version he sounds too old for his age. That is just one example and the dubs usually try to match the Japanese voices with some differences on what they think works.
i vote subed since it sounds better and dubbed sounds wierd.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff