<3 </3

What do you prefer; Subbed or dubbed?

Subbed! 0.60377358490566 60.4% [ 64 ]
Dubbed! 0.24528301886792 24.5% [ 26 ]
Either... 0.15094339622642 15.1% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 106 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Yejinn
In addition to my posts above, Im going to sum everything up in this one post XD.

Well these are other reasons that I'm for subbed, not dubbed.

Anime is a distinct art form. Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.

In addition in dubbed, sometimes, they translate the meaning quite literally, even when it doesn't make as much sense as it should. I've watched very few dubs in my life, but even I can pick up sentences of that nature. Even when they try to change it so people watching it in English dub will understand what they are trying to say. For example, "It's chow time!" as opposed to the Japanese "Itadakimasu". They both mean generally the same thing ( "Let's eat!" ) "It's chow time!" is much, much less polite, which brings me to my next point.

The core of the Japanese culture, much more apparent in Slice of Life if anything, is quite lost. "Saving face", politeness, keeping the conversation flowing smoothly, including the other in your speech etc.; they are all part of what they do in Japan and is "slightly" reflected in Anime (but not much). They are mostly, if not all lost in the English dubbing of it.

Now of course this is in my point of view, so I'm not going to go around bashing and trying to persuade people to watch subbed instead of dubbed. More than focusing on Naruto dubbed/subbed I actually focused more on the overall anime subbing or dubbing.

Wouldn't adding text to the bottom of the screne be an unacceptable compramise of the artistic integrity as well?

Really while you make great points the problem is a Sub is still an English translation your saying that the mear translation process is what is wrong with dubs but wouldn't those same things be lost in a sub too? You still lose the flow of the conversation the politeness and so on. Hell it should be HARDER to capture politemess with next on the bottom of the screen.

Really you make some good reasons and I agree with you but your reasons are more of a defense of Japanese raw and attack English subs as much as they attack English dubs. You are basically saying that if you don't understand Japanese you can't properly experience anime. Yet your not saying that.
A good well translated dub adapts the script to a new language while keeping the same meaning and feeling. A good dub chooses voices that fit the character's traits and personalities and do not try to immature the Japanese voices. With a good dub the jokes are translated and the meaning is kept the feeling remains too.

Now I admit the more "Japanese" the show is the harder it is for the dub to be good. This is why shows like Cowboy Bebop, One Piece (FUNimation) Full Metal Alchimist, and Hellsing tend to have better dubs. Those shows while Japanese anime are not very centered in Japanese cultures and settings. On the other hand shows that tend to take place in Japan, high school drama and slice of life shows as you call them tend to not translate as fluidly into English.

If anything Shows like Naruto fit somewhere in the middle. They don't take place in Japan but they take place in a world that might as well be Japan. Yet in my opinion Viz does a great job making the show still feel Japanese while making it understandable in English.

I prefer Naruto's dub over the show itself. Perhaps if I was a fan I would hate the dub. Maybe not as I love it when the shows I love have good dubs. *Hugs his FUNimation One Piece box sets.*
Creativerealms
Yejinn
In addition to my posts above, Im going to sum everything up in this one post XD.

Anime is a distinct art form. Because it is an art form, any alteration to the original anime is an unacceptable compromise of artistic integrity.

In addition in dubbed, sometimes, they translate the meaning quite literally, even when it doesn't make as much sense as it should. I've watched very few dubs in my life, but even I can pick up sentences of that nature. Even when they try to change it so people watching it in English dub will understand what they are trying to say. For example, "It's chow time!" as opposed to the Japanese "Itadakimasu". They both mean generally the same thing ( "Let's eat!" ) "It's chow time!" is much, much less polite, which brings me to my next point.

The core of the Japanese culture, much more apparent in Slice of Life if anything, is quite lost. "Saving face", politeness, keeping the conversation flowing smoothly, including the other in your speech etc.; they are all part of what they do in Japan and is "slightly" reflected in Anime (but not much). They are mostly, if not all lost in the English dubbing of it.

Now of course this is in my point of view, so I'm not going to go around bashing and trying to persuade people to watch subbed instead of dubbed. More than focusing on Naruto dubbed/subbed I actually focused more on the overall anime subbing or dubbing.

Wouldn't adding text to the bottom of the screne be an unacceptable compramise of the artistic integrity as well?

Really while you make great points the problem is a Sub is still an English translation your saying that the mear translation process is what is wrong with dubs but wouldn't those same things be lost in a sub too? You still lose the flow of the conversation the politeness and so on. Hell it should be HARDER to capture politemess with next on the bottom of the screen.

Really you make some good reasons and I agree with you but your reasons are more of a defense of Japanese raw and attack English subs as much as they attack English dubs. You are basically saying that if you don't understand Japanese you can't properly experience anime. Yet your not saying that.

As for English subs, I am not attacking them at all. It seems that I have not been specific enough...? From the people who I watch, they do not translate "Itadakimasu" as "it's chow time!". Rather, what they will do is put "Itadakimasu" in the bottom subs, and at the top part of the video, they will explain. "Itadakimasu is a way of saying thank you before eating a meal for politeness.". Although in dubbed, they will literally say "It's chow time". I heard it in many different animes, and I did not quite like it.

It's just my personal preference.
Dubbed all the way.
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn

As for English subs, I am not attacking them at all. It seems that I have not been specific enough...? From the people who I watch, they do not translate "Itadakimasu" as "it's chow time!". Rather, what they will do is put "Itadakimasu" in the bottom subs, and at the top part of the video, they will explain. "Itadakimasu is a way of saying thank you before eating a meal for politeness.". Although in dubbed, they will literally say "It's chow time". I heard it in many different animes, and I did not quite like it.

No no I understood you perfectly. I was saying that your talk can easily be turned against subs, because they have all the problems you are saying dubs have and more. Really you are saying that you need to understand Japanese to "feel" anime and well subs take away that feeling.
Creativerealms
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn

No no I understood you perfectly. I was saying that your talk can easily be turned against subs, because they have all the problems you are saying dubs have and more. Really you are saying that you need to understand Japanese to "feel" anime and well subs take away that feeling.

Ah I see. Well you seem to have a different interpretation than me xD;;
I prefer subs (raw) because I don't need dub. Dubs usually do a lot more butchering than subs because of things like simplifying translation (typical Godzilla dubs where people keep moving their mouths after they stop speaking) and attempting to match the new script at least with what's being said. When you actually know both the language of the original and the dub, you'll find there's a lot of differences. Subs are slightly better, if only because they don't have the same frame-time limit and thereby have a little bit more leeway to try and accurately capture the language. One thing I've also noticed is you rarely ever keep the same emotional content when you dub because of infused cultural differences.
Creativerealms
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn

Not to go the offensive way here, but I feel quite different. When the voices are out of sync, bad translations and voice actors appear, then I totally lose the 'feel' of everything related to anime. And as it's said; When it comes to dubbed anime, there's mostly always out of sync, bad translations and annoying voices. The only anime I've actually seen that I liked with English voices was Avatar, the last airbender, and you know what? It was made in the US, so you cannot even call it dub.

Besides, after a year with subbed anime, you pretty much catch up and learn many Japanese words/sentences and watching it then is like thousand times better than dub, no matter how much you watch dub. Just saying; anime shouldn't be translated into some other language, it totally loses its feel then.
But how do you know the translation of the sub is right? You don't. Your not learning Japanese or catching the meaning of what they are saying. you are trusting someone's translation which might not be right. Really attacking the translation of a dub is fine but sub translations can be just as bad. You should not trust a translation in general if that is the way you are going.

Also if you don't know Japanese aka you need subs to know what people are saying it can't be easy to feel the emotion of the characters.Really a slice of life anime should lose it's impact when you have to read what the character's are saying as text cannot protray the same emotional impact as a well acted scene and someone who does not know a language has a harder time knowing a good emotional response from a bad one.

Really the Japanese version is generally better then the English version. I admit that. the problem is the emotions and impact is lost to people who don't know Japanese and subtitles cannot capture that impact. They are only translations of what the person is saying, rough translations.

I don't like subs for a lot of reasons first I can't trust "fan subs" aka the subs you find on line and in torrents and non offical sources. They are often undertranslated and add too many curse words.
Second the idea of reading Tv just feels wrong to me. I read novels, at least one a week. so it's not because "I'm lazy" it's because reading Tv feels unnatural. TV shows are suppose to be watched and listened to not read. Reading Tv to me is like listening to a book on tape.

Now I should let everyone know that I don't hate subs, I just will always prefer a well translated uncut English dub of a show over a subtitled version because it feels more natural to me.
Naruto's voice is really irritating in the dub.

and american accents really doesn't suit anime.
iwantaoiinmypants
Naruto's voice is really irritating in the dub.

and american accents really doesn't suit anime.

"American accents" what do you mean? While there are different accents for different parts of America, such as New York accents, Chicago accents, Wisconsin accents and so on there is no general "American accent. And the dub avoids giving the characters any type of accents. Really if some characters sounded like they came from the south and others sounded like new yorkers I could see this complaint but I really don't hear any 'American accents" in this dub. Really watch a 4kids dub like Yu Gi Oh to see a dub with "American accents"

Also Naruto's voice is irritating in both versions, to me anyway. He's suppose to have an irratating voice. Really you guys would be complaining if he had a normal voice too.
I watched the dubs when I first started watching anime- Naruto was my first anime.
But I caught up with the episodes and there were no more dubs.
Watching them again, it is just really odd hearing it with the American accent.

and I don't really know.. but maybe because I'm english I recognise the accent more clearly than you? perhaps? >_> idk.
it is really noticeable to me.

and I agree. Naruto's voice is rather odd in the sub aswell.
but the dubbers is worse. it's like they were taking the piss when recording it.
I'm American myself. Really there is no general "American accent" but different accents for different areas of America. I am not hearing those in Naruto. But hey if you are then maybe you do have better hearing then I have. Trust me pointless accents are the thing I hate most about dubs and if Naruto had even one I would be complaining about it. BIG time.

Anyway I'm going to stop now. I like the dub and thats that. while I hate these redicoulus complaints I respect people's right to make them.

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I seriously can't stand dubbed episodes!!! O____o

2,700 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Yejinn
Creativerealms
Yejinn

That's actually pretty pointless. The sub title could just say "thanks for the meal" without needing all that explanatory crap.

And personally, it's a pain having to read such unnecessary translation notes all while obstructing the current scene for a small and simple phrase that has no affect on said scene or is not being used as a pun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff