Welcome to Gaia! ::

everyone is able to voice their opinion but not so it blocks out other people... so I see no problem (unless you try to convert...)

5,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Candy_Chimes_Gurl
I have a word to all Christians: please refrain from trying to defend yourself.

1. its human nature to defend yourself as well as things that are a part of you.
2. even if they don't make sense everyone has the right to defend themselves.

to some people this kind of comment in itself is like saying "hello! I'm going to shoot you and you cant defend yourself....

no matter the circumstance of the defence it is the SAME RIGHT. so what I am trying to say is that you have no right to request such a thing

~himizuko
(that was ment to point something out not to be bitchy so.... sweatdrop )
First of all it sounds like you are defending your views by saying that christians should not defend theirs. Second what right do you have to tell anyone what to do. Thirdly I tell you if I could reach through this computer I would slap you for being stupid.
AgentCimorene
Thank you hon, I scanned through the gospels and then thought it might even be in Acts and gave up. And believing everything but christianity is wrong is all in perspective. I believe all cultures and religions are here to make up our world. God is in everything, and he likes variety, so differences makes up the wonderful things in our lives.

You're welcome! I believe that somewhat, too. Though I do believe there's only one true way to reach God, I believe everyone is really ultimately trying to reach God, but they don't all agree on the way.

TrevLightstar
First of all it sounds like you are defending your views by saying that christians should not defend theirs. Second what right do you have to tell anyone what to do. Thirdly I tell you if I could reach through this computer I would slap you for being stupid.

Ah, but you missed my point. My overall point is that you shouldn't have to feel like you have to apologize for something someone else has done, or you should feel like you have to "prove something" to someone who is just being unreasonable and unfair. You already have your own individual views and the like, and you can still express those without feeling the need to get on the defensive.
And secondly, sorry for abruptly disappearing last night. My ISP failed.
Candy_Chimes_Gurl
In response to Psilan: You are not supposed to try and defend yourselves from ridiculous and vain people. Of course you do not express the views of every other Christian- there are many different denominations.

Ah! But here we have a problem. People come on to Gaia thinking the most random and absurd things about what "Christians" (as an entirety) think, believe, and how we act. How is right if I purposefully do not correct them?

Based on some of the other things you've written, I think that you're not drawing a distinction between defending oneself (responding to incorrect claims made) and being defensive (preemptively responding to claims).

Quote:
But trying to fight, or complaining, isn't going to show anybody that. You don't have to try to be different from someone else; you already are. So my point is just try to share your views without being over-infuriated against other people.

(1) Your statements about difference, while true, are sadly not common knowledge.

(2) You're making some pretty broad assumptions about what we Christians regularly do, no?

Quote:
As for what the Church needs to work on; that's another problem. Some people in the Church are typically like the Pharisees- they ask people to do things they can't even do themselves. (where is that scripture?- I'll find it in a minute...) So I'm saying that we need to focus more on Christ and on the power that is in God, and encourage people kind of more one and one, like saying, "I'm not holier than you- anything I have, comes from God, and its available to you, too." That's all.

I find that to be a very confusing paragraph - what are you trying to say?

Quote:
I hope that answers your questions.

Well, not all of them, but I guess I'll take what I can get.
I, for one, have learned quite a bit about different people's views and understandings of their faith (even, dare I say it, the actual religion itself) form the way they debate with others in this forum. Not all of us that are watching, are posting in every thread we see. I've found the debates invaluable in clarifying certain points of contention. That, and slander really should be stopped. The spread of disinformation is anathema to those of us who seek knowledge. Failing to refute these lies, allows them to grow and spread. I for one am quite happy that people of any faith defend their beliefs, I just prefer it when they do so in an articulate manner....
Candy_Chimes_Gurl
I have a word to all Christians: please refrain from trying to defend yourself.

None of your defense is doing any good in any way whatsoever. There are still going to be people who are going to reject you. Christianity was never meant to be accepted by all. Christ has told us, that we will be persecuted, that we will be hated. We just need to learn not to feel bad about it, and take the warning He tried so hard to give His disciples.

The American Christian Church as of now is generally in a shambles, I fear. There's a lot of controversy going on. I believe we need to work on ourselves before others. We need to look back to the Source: Christ. If we truly are the light of the world, then people will be drawn to the light. Other than that, we cannot do much.

All of this year, I have tried to be openminded, kind, and good. The streotypes continued nontheless.

In Acts, the Christians were named by the Jewish leaders "the people that turned the world upside down." We're still turning the world upside down, even today.

I'm from the GD (don't know if the whole discussion thing applies here) but I'll add it. The discussion is, do you, or do you not believe, Christians defending themselves is generally useless? If people really wanted to know the truth about anything, they would look. There are people who will give you a chance, and some are bitter, wanting nothing to do.

Our reflexes are to defend ourselves, but we're not supposed to be "like everybody else." So I'm going to try and see what the Bible says about this. After all, it says, if someone smights your cheek, turn the other! I never knew what that meant, I only hope I can follow. People seem to be "ashamed" of their Christian views, and thus try to say "no we're not all like that."

Discuss?

Ah, where to start...

1. So, youre saying we should sit idly by and let people trounce upon our beliefs like a pack of rabid wolves? Doesn't God command us to stand up for him?

2. If Jesus and the early disciples hadnt defended their beliefs then Christianity would now be completely stomped out in the world by now

3. God tells us to not be ashamed of him and to "acknowledge Him before others" well if you dont defend your beliefs how will others know what you stand for?
I think Jesus might be a little pissed off if everyone in Christendom said 'screw this, I'll just accept everyone telling me I'm wrong/lying/corrupt/stupid'

but there you go, he never told me that. sad

4,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Doesn't each religion have to defend them selves against the world? It's obvious that Christian's do, but so do Muslems, Jews and Pagans. Even if you don't have a religion, you have to defend yourself. You see this every where. If you believe in something, defend it. That's the way us humans work.
Alot of people aren't just defending themselves, but they are also trying to convey the Christian message to others, there are so many twists and different versions of chridtianity that it only seems that we are defending ourselves.

4,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
How true. v_v
Hattie-chan
I think Jesus might be a little pissed off if everyone in Christendom said 'screw this, I'll just accept everyone telling me I'm wrong/lying/corrupt/stupid'

To quote a George Carlin Routine:

Interviewer: What do you think about Christianity today?

Jesus: well, first of all I wish they'd take my name off it.

You know, when I talk to Christians who say they know what Jesus wants, I always ask "Why, did he tell you?"

Then they go into some vague thing about the bible being the word of God. Word of God is flawed when it is written by man. It could be divinely inspired and be wrong still because humans by definition are failable. So we can't say what christ wants or not with absolute certainty, can you?

Christianity has brought birth to much good and evil. Sometimes it is hard for people to keep looking at the good.
I must protest to your claims that Defense in the name of Christianity is useless...If you read some of my threads I post informative threads on Jesus many come many people have a new outlook once leaving some ask where are their deceased freinds I re-assure them and I personally believe the Love and Faith for Jesus can be spread throughout the World Gaia included Christians keep up the good work!
Newski
Hattie-chan

To quote a George Carlin Routine:

Interviewer: What do you think about Christianity today?

Jesus: well, first of all I wish they'd take my name off it.

You know, when I talk to Christians who say they know what Jesus wants, I always ask "Why, did he tell you?"

Then they go into some vague thing about the bible being the word of God. Word of God is flawed when it is written by man. It could be divinely inspired and be wrong still because humans by definition are failable. So we can't say what christ wants or not with absolute certainty, can you?

Christianity has brought birth to much good and evil. Sometimes it is hard for people to keep looking at the good.

First off the word for humans is "fallable" check this before posting something so asinide again I appreciate your input but I must say the Bible was written by profits of God and God would not mistake his words Is there anything in the Bible that seems out of place? No Thank you for your wasted time arguing against something you have very limited knowledge of God Bless

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff