Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
When you go to take communion, are you eating the literal flesh and drinking the literal blood of Jesus Christ, or is that just symbolic?

I always wondered that after Mass, when I still believed. And I was told that I was eating the literal flesh and drinking the blood- albeit a bit bitter-tasting- of Christ. Gosh, that wine was expensive.

Are you partaking in cannibalism?

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Does it count as cannibalism when a human eats a God-man?
Nerdologist
Does it count as cannibalism when a human eats a God-man?

The God-Emperor was no longer a human so I'd say no.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I heard that communion is based on Ancient Egyptian traditions, but that might be false.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
If I remember correctly, catholics do believe in transubstantiation- that the communion literally turns into Jesus's flesh and blood- but I know not every denomination takes it that way. I grew up Presbyterian, and it was always taken as more of a symbolic gesture.

But I guess it's only cannibalism if you believe that they are literally consuming human flesh.

olive buffet's Datemate

If you have a problem with that, there are plenty of non-cannibalistic religions looking for new members.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Rumblestiltskin

But I guess it's only cannibalism if you believe that they are literally consuming human flesh.

Well, Jesus was a man, if he lived (which is unlikely). Therefore he is human. He was also called Son Of Man.
I guess people do know that the host and the wine turn into his flesh and blood.

Therefore it's sorta kinda cannibalism?

Nerdologist

One would be eating demigod flesh.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX
Rumblestiltskin

Well, Jesus was a man, if he lived (which is unlikely). Therefore he is human. He was also called Son Of Man.
I guess people do know that the host and the wine turn into his flesh and blood.

Therefore it's sorta kinda cannibalism?

But, here's the thing...they're eating crackers and drinking wine. That isn't cannibalism (unless they are crackers or wine). I mean, you can claim anything is human flesh, doesn't necessarily mean it is. However, if their claim is right, and it is the flesh and blood of Jesus, then it is cannibalism. So it all comes down to whether their claim is valid or not...

Super Cyclops

My Mom keeps bringing up this issue. Thinking about it, it does smell of cannibalism, vampirism at least. I think the idea is for it to be symbolic but either way they ARE eating the Lord, aren't they?

And they burned Aztecs for doing the same... wink

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
XxRagingHomosexualxX
When you go to take communion, are you eating the literal flesh and drinking the literal blood of Jesus Christ, or is that just symbolic?

I always wondered that after Mass, when I still believed. And I was told that I was eating the literal flesh and drinking the blood- albeit a bit bitter-tasting- of Christ. Gosh, that wine was expensive.

*grins* To the catholic church, when it is blessed on the alter it becomes the body and blood of christ. It transforms. (wiki link to explain it so I do not have to type it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation)

NOW(and here is where I am a very bad catholic) I do not believe it does. As when he was at the last supper, he said "do this in -memory- of me" he didnt state it was HIM.

BUT hey, we arent suppose to follow the parts of the bible that do not fit in with the political agenda of religion.
We are just to follow what is programmed into people and not question it*rolls eyes*

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Blood Valkyrie
I heard that communion is based on Ancient Egyptian traditions, but that might be false.
The story of Jesus, the eucharist, and a dying and rising god all are of a type of theme in folklore that pervaded the Near East during that period of time.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Rumblestiltskin

But, here's the thing...they're eating crackers and drinking wine. That isn't cannibalism (unless they are crackers or wine). I mean, you can claim anything is human flesh, doesn't necessarily mean it is. However, if their claim is right, and it is the flesh and blood of Jesus, then it is cannibalism. So it all comes down to whether their claim is valid or not...

But the host and the wine magically transform into flesh and blood. They are literally part of Jesus. It is, symbolically speaking, cannibalism.

Marquessa_De_Sade

Well, he told them to eat and drink of him, even after he dies, and to do that in memory of him...by eating his left-overs. I don't know...Catholics are expected to suspend their common sense and think that a blessed wafer and wine are the sacred flesh and blood.

Nuclear Muchacho

Hypocrisy.

Phantom

13,275 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Bookworm 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX

I'm a former Catholic. Yes, Catholics do believe they are eating Jesus' body and blood under the symbols of bread and wine.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
citrixrose

I'm a former Catholic. Yes, Catholics do believe they are eating Jesus' body and blood under the symbols of bread and wine.

Yum!

emotion_zombie

Phantom

13,275 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Bookworm 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX
citrixrose

Yum!

emotion_zombie

Yum indeed!

I can't believe I stayed Catholic for so long. I looked forward to the wine lol after my First Communion though. Underage and could have wine every weekend was the only thing I liked about Mass.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff