• Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Cultural holidays.

Christmas and Easter were both Pagan holidays.
Then when Europe went Christian, they became Pagan holidays.
And now since a lot of places are going agnostic, they are becoming secular, cultural holidays.

I mean, Valentine's Day is technically a Catholic holiday. . .well, was. It's not anymore.

I think Thanksgiving was also a Pagan holiday as well.
I'm not sure on that, but I think it had to do with the big moon.

I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving is a secular holiday meant to represent a time when some white people had a feast with some Native Americans.

I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving has to do with the Harvest, which is a lunar event with the moon in really huge and bright and farmer's can work into the night getting crops.
It is the time when everything dies. And the rebirth holiday is Easter when everything comes back to life. Easter existed before Christianity, and they took over the "rebirth" holiday to make it the "rebirth of Christ" holiday.

Also, Canadian Thanksgiving is around the time of that moon.

link

I'm talking about American Thanksgiving.
Turkeys, pilgrims, ham, etc. It might have had to do with the harvest back in the day, but nowadays it's completely secular and is just an excuse to hang out with family and eat lots of food.

I dont' live in america, so i don't celebrate american thanksgiving.
canadian thanksgiving is sort of pilgrims, but no one pays attention to that. it's all harvest here.

Over here in U.S.A, Thanksgiving is loosely based on a historical event, and was turned into basically a reason to be happy and thankful for what you have, and be around your family, and eat tons of food. x3 It's a fantastic holiday! biggrin

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
My two cents:

Christians do not own Christmas.

They just don't.

Nobody really owns a holiday.

I'm going to keep my Christmas tree and my fancy wrapped gifts and my awesome Christmas lights. Holy s**t, I love me some Christmas lights. So damn pretty! I don't have to believe in your Elohim to do any of that stuff. It's fun. It's harmless. It doesn't require any faith at all.

Like my atheist friends "Cultural holiday".
Who cares where it's from(even though Christmas was originally Yule and a seasonal holiday)?
Like, if it's fun and enjoyable, there's no need to not celebrate it. Just skip out on the Church part.

I heard that in Japan, they freaking love Christmas, and most people there are either Buddhist or Shinto. There are some Christians and Muslims, but not many.

Christmas is awesome.
The majority of Christmas is presents, food, and winter theme.
That Jesus stuff is a side which is so not apart of Christmas anymore that all the insane devout extreme Christians put those "keep christ in christmas" signs up, but no one follows that.

Christmas is a bunch of pagan traditions claimed by the Christians. xP
I just like all the glamour and stuff ... lol.

olive buffet's Datemate

Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Cultural holidays.

Christmas and Easter were both Pagan holidays.
Then when Europe went Christian, they became Pagan holidays.
And now since a lot of places are going agnostic, they are becoming secular, cultural holidays.

I mean, Valentine's Day is technically a Catholic holiday. . .well, was. It's not anymore.

I think Thanksgiving was also a Pagan holiday as well.
I'm not sure on that, but I think it had to do with the big moon.

I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving is a secular holiday meant to represent a time when some white people had a feast with some Native Americans.

I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving has to do with the Harvest, which is a lunar event with the moon in really huge and bright and farmer's can work into the night getting crops.
It is the time when everything dies. And the rebirth holiday is Easter when everything comes back to life. Easter existed before Christianity, and they took over the "rebirth" holiday to make it the "rebirth of Christ" holiday.

link

Turkeys, pilgrims, ham, etc. It might have had to do with the harvest back in the day, but nowadays it's completely secular and is just an excuse to hang out with family and eat lots of food.

canadian thanksgiving is sort of pilgrims, but no one pays attention to that. it's all harvest here.

Over here in U.S.A, Thanksgiving is loosely based on a historical event, and was turned into basically a reason to be happy and thankful for what you have, and be around your family, and eat tons of food. x3 It's a fantastic holiday! biggrin

doesn't your thanksgiving have to do with certain types of food like apples and pumpkins?
because that is from the harvest.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng

link

doesn't your thanksgiving have to do with certain types of food like apples and pumpkins?

Pumpkins are more of a Halloween thing. Thanksgiving more about turkeys, cranberry gelatin, ham, etc, all based on the traditional Thanksgiving dinner (which actually has been changed over time, turkey wasn't even the original standard bird). However, any food that is popular in the autumn season is fair game

olive buffet's Datemate

Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng

link

Pumpkins are more of a Halloween thing. Thanksgiving more about turkeys, cranberry gelatin, ham, etc, all based on the traditional Thanksgiving dinner (which actually has been changed over time, turkey wasn't even the original standard bird). However, any food that is popular in the autumn season is fair game

really? you don't have pumpkin pie at american thanksgiving?

Canadian Thanksgiving is usually turkey, potatoes, rutabaga, stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, baked apples.
Ours is in early October though.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng
Blood Valkyrie
mnhnrnnyng

really? you don't have pumpkin pie at american thanksgiving?

Canadian Thanksgiving is usually turkey, potatoes, rutabaga, stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, baked apples.
Ours is in early October though.

Some people have pumpkin pie; some don't. As for actual pumpkins, that's more prevalent with Halloween because of jack-o-lanterns, but there are some pumpkins to be seen around Thanksgiving. It's just not a uniquely Thanksgiving thing, and more of a seasonal thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff