Welcome to Gaia! ::

Heroic Hero

Kaworu 17
Bogotanian
Many modern Christian holidays and terminology come from Pagan traditions and Pagan words.
>Easter
>Pentecost
>Epiphany
>Christmas
>from pagan traditions

Such as? Before you say anything, double check to see if your evidence is not some agricultural festivity based on astronomical or temperate events of the year.

No, I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate Christian events. I believe in celebrating Jesus' resurrection and his birth, but I feel uncomfortable with some of the terms that have mixed in with several holidays. The word Easter comes from Oaster or Eostre or something, and the word is a Germanic fertility goddess. I don't think it's right to use that term for the celebration around Lent in celebrating Jesus. Also, I believe in celebrating Christmas, but it feels uncomfortable with certain aspects, such as the Christmas Tree being used in Pagan rituals, celebrations and worship of various deities. So I believe that we should continue celebrating, but get rid of some of these syncretism aspects that have some Pagan roots, or people should celebrate completely different things. Also, many things about Christmas (such as materialism) shouldn't really be glorified in a Christian sense.

But anyways, for examples of syncretism, like I mentioned, there's Halloween (holy evening) which was a mix. But especially look at Mexico. They celebrate all souls day and all saints day back to back (day of the dead in Mexico), which is a mix of Catholic rituals and native Mexican (Aztec) spiritual practices. I really don't think we should consider that a Christian holiday, there is way to much mixing going around

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
1. Yom Kippur isn't a holiday, it's a day of seeking forgiveness from God.
2. I think holidays are great, even if you don't believe in them. It's a good chance to have fun and be with your family. Also people need those days off, and I don't know how I wouldn't get burned out without Passover or the Tishrei holidays, even though I'm an atheist of 6 years.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kaworu 17
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17
Don't make me neuter you.

Bring it.
I will fight you.

Kaworu 17
CuAnnan
You are not willing to fight me.
Of course not, I'm a pacifist.

And a liar, seemingly.

Familiar Friend

catspook
So, you are against mixed religion families then? Or that people must drop family traditions they have had for generations if they happen to change religious beliefs? How do you feel about Halloween? It's not generally considered religious now, but it does have religious roots. What about Thanksgiving? The line between secular and religious holidays is not nearly so bright as you seem to think.

We'll since my great uncle married a Jewish women, and they don't celebrate Christmas anymore, I wouldn't say I'm against it. He change his religion, so he doesn't celebrate anything christian.

I didn't grow up celebrating halloween, I did for a few years but never liked it. So to me halloween is no big deal.

Thanksgiving in my family is only celebrated as a small family reunion. We give thanks and move on.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Bogotanian

Many modern Christian holidays and terminology come from Pagan traditions and Pagan words. It was a mixing of Christian and Pagan customs (like with Halloween, or holy evening). But I thought the story of Santa was inspired by Saint Nicholas, though if it was a mixture of things it wouldn't surprise me

arrow Saint Nicholas and also Norse mythology. Particularly Odin, allegedly.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
averykae
catspook
So, you are against mixed religion families then? Or that people must drop family traditions they have had for generations if they happen to change religious beliefs? How do you feel about Halloween? It's not generally considered religious now, but it does have religious roots. What about Thanksgiving? The line between secular and religious holidays is not nearly so bright as you seem to think.

We'll since my great uncle married a Jewish women, and they don't celebrate Christmas anymore, I wouldn't say I'm against it. He change his religion, so he doesn't celebrate anything christian.

I didn't grow up celebrating halloween, I did for a few years but never liked it. So to me halloween is no big deal.

Thanksgiving in my family is only celebrated as a small family reunion. We give thanks and move on.

And if he had remained Christian - would you object to his wife joining him in celebration? What if he continued to celebrate with the Christian members of his family? Or to continue traditions?

And my question was not if you personally celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving, but your opinion on who "owns" them. For example, is it "right" for irreligious people to celebrate Thanksgiving?

I'm trying to establish that the issue is not nearly as black and white as you claimed in your OP.
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17
Don't make me neuter you.

Bring it.
I will fight you.

Kaworu 17
CuAnnan
You are not willing to fight me.
Of course not, I'm a pacifist.

And a liar, seemingly.
兵者,詭道也

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kaworu 17
兵者,詭道也

I'm pretty sure "I'll fight you, you're too far away, I'm a pacafist" is you losing. Badly. Publicly. And gracelessly.
If, however, you need to quote the art of war to soothe your ego, feel free.
Personally, I always found the works of xiang yu to be superior.
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17
兵者,詭道也

I'm pretty sure "I'll fight you, you're too far away, I'm a pacafist" is you losing. Badly. Publicly. And gracelessly.
"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." wink

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kaworu 17
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17
兵者,詭道也

I have read the book.
You may stop quoting your betters to attempt to make your position look stronger than it is.

You threatend to neuter me and then withdrew your offer to fight me when I proferred a date and neutral location, as the book of war would suggest I do.
CuAnnan
Kaworu 17

I have read the book.
You may stop quoting your betters to attempt to make your position look stronger than it is.

You threatend to neuter me and then withdrew your offer to fight me when I proferred a date and neutral location, as the book of war would suggest I do.

How is Skryne Valley a neutral location?
Bogotanian
The word Easter comes from Oaster or Eostre or something, and the word is a Germanic fertility goddess. I don't think it's right to use that term for the celebration around Lent in celebrating Jesus.
So ******** what. By that point you are being exactly like the secularist bigots who want to erase us and Christianity from history for they see "Anno Domini", "Before Christ", and they freak the ******** out, thinking that someone is shoving something down their throats. I don't give a damn if Thursday is named after Thor, I'm not gonna go around asking Thursdays to be "de-paganized."

Besides, in most other European languages besides English, the term for Easter is derived from Πάσχα so it's not like it's a trend.

Bogotanian
but it feels uncomfortable with certain aspects, such as the Christmas Tree being used in Pagan rituals, celebrations and worship of various deities.
My mom never in her life has put up a Christmas tree. She says that it was some heretical bullshit invented by Martin Luther. Instead, all we do each year is set up a Nativity scene.

Bogotanian
They celebrate all souls day and all saints day back to back (day of the dead in Mexico), which is a mix of Catholic rituals and native Mexican (Aztec) spiritual practices. I really don't think we should consider that a Christian holiday, there is way to much mixing going around
Of course sometimes the line between religion and popular folk traditions is blurred, but any serious Mexican Catholic should be able to distinguish between a proper celebration and... la santa Muerte or whatever.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lucky~9~Lives

It is a place, where neither of us lives, that is ideally suited, both precedentally and locationally, for non fatal violence.
As the challenged, it is my right under the code duello to state the terms of the fight. I chose a neutral location in my own nation.

Irish law affords me no particular licence to end his life, in particular it would hold me accountable for his life and well being in a fight as I have training in the application of violence.
The Brehon, further, would impose upon me an untenable honour price for the ending of what, essentially, amounts to a guest under a specific form of hospitality.

Does American law profer any such protections to two people who enter into mutually agreed upon violence? Given the fact that your country allows the use of "I believe he was going to harm me so I shot him" as a legal defence for the ending of another's life, I am disinclined to think my safety would be assured there.
CuAnnan
Lucky~9~Lives

It is a place, where neither of us lives, that is ideally suited, both precedentally and locationally, for non fatal violence.
As the challenged, it is my right under the code duello to state the terms of the fight. I chose a neutral location in my own nation.

I presumed climate (and the familiarity of a participant with such) factored into the neutrality of a location.

CuAnnan
Does American law profer any such protections to two people who enter into mutually agreed upon violence? Given the fact that your country allows the use of "I believe he was going to harm me so I shot him" as a legal defence for the ending of another's life, I am disinclined to think my safety would be assured there.

What does my country's current law have to do with American law?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lucky~9~Lives
I presumed climate (and the familiarity of a participant with such) factored into the neutrality of a location.

I see no reason it should.
Also, I am not familiar with the field of battle in question. I chose it because of the historical precident.
Tara, sure. I know tara relatively well.
But you have to understand, I get off a bus and walk directly to Tara.
Tara is of spiritual significance to me, personally.
Skryne, not so much so. I mean, sure it's a mythohistorically imporant place and, on general principle, I objected to the motor way.
But not in any personal manner has it ever struck me as important.

Lucky~9~Lives
What does my country's current law have to do with American law?

Forgot who I was talking to.

Damn.. Another 800 years of oppression joke opportunity missed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff