Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are your thoughts? Is it ever right to kill another human being? If so, under what circumstances?

Me, I believe that all humans are rational beings that have reasoning that goes beyond the need of violence. I believe that It is always wrong to hurt others, i am a true Pacifist and have actually been put in situations where I would have been better off to fight and not take the hits.
I'ts perfectly acceptable to kill a human being as long as it does more good than harm. The only problem is weighing the pros and cons. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.
Sure not killing is well and good but not fighting at all. That would be boring. gonk
I am not against fighting as a form of exorcise or competition.

I live by the confucious saying "Don't do to others what you don't want them to do you." I don't want people to kill me.

Of course, its more complicated. every life is valuable, and we can live in a world without killing if everyone started to be more reasonable and set aside petty differences.
I would think that killing a person would be a hard thing to do, no matter how terrible, sick, or desiring of death that person may be... I wouldn't know, because I'm a twisted individual, but killing is under considerartion in certain circumstances. If that person was trying to kill me, waht cna I say? sweatdrop
Newski
What are your thoughts? Is it ever right to kill another human being? If so, under what circumstances?

Me, I believe that all humans are rational beings that have reasoning that goes beyond the need of violence. I believe that It is always wrong to hurt others, i am a true Pacifist and have actually been put in situations where I would have been better off to fight and not take the hits.

I wish more people had the strength of your convictions and followed those beliefs...

It would make it much easier for those of us that will resort to violence to do as we please. I respect the strength and courage it takes to maintain such a philosophy while I find no worth in pacifism itself. Conflict and opposition are great forces of growth in our world. If you don't believe in violence, stay out of the way of those that do. If you wish find someone who will stand up and bring force to back up their beliefs and serve them. Let their strength be yours.

Killing someone is just an expression of your inner divinity at bringing about the fate and end of someones existance. You have taken a world and ended it. Before you do so you should weigh all the effects and consequences. And once you decide on a course of action you should take it boldly and without guilt or second thoughts.
Triste Morningstar
It's perfectly acceptable to kill a human being as long as it does more good than harm. The only problem is weighing the pros and cons. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.
I'm going to have to agree. Would killing Hitler really have made that much of a good impact on the world?

And one should note that "Thou shalt not kill" is a rather blatant mistranslation. Even the New Testament says murder rather than kill 3nodding
I decline to accept any rational justification of murder.
It is imo an abuse of logic and our rational capacity to attempt it.

Basically, I claim: Rational Justification of Murder == Auschwitz

It is equal to saying that people with property X are not "worthy of existence".
That's putting a raster of human design upon the most basic foundation of reality itself, existence.
Standing at a stage of knowledge where we have more fog of war on our map of nature than explored territory, claiming to know what is worthy of existence and what not is a simple violation of rationality, arbitrariness motivated by emotional shortcomings.
It leads to perversion, Auschwitz.
There is no rational approach to existence. There is no objective frame work to apply rational thought in. Worthiness of existence is a struggle in empty space, hybris.
In a complex system of numerous interdependencies, that step is imo the one little step too far. It starts a chain reaction. What about the people who who played a role in forming that property X, kill them too?
It doesn't stop anywhere, because society is a complex system, where every single element can be connected, through detour, to every other element.
By making that one property X the deathmark, you acknowledge that your entire society is basically not "worthy of existence", including you yourself. Which leads to a paradox, since if you are not worthy of existence, how can you determine who is?
You arrive at Auschwitz, perversion of thought, logic and science.

Does that make murder inexcusable?
No, because humans are also animals. If physical danger passes a limit, our instinct of survival takes over. I can live with that, and there's no point of punishing someone for what he is, an animal.
But that does not qualify, imo, as a rational justification.
And it does not make murder "right". Even if we kill someone in self-defense, the killing was still, rationally, the wrong course of action, as the slaughtered person did not deserve to die.

And for the sake of triteness, I would like to end this post with a well-known quote by Gandalf:
Quote:
Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.
power to you...
if u hold these beliefs so strongly
i could never be a true pascifist...let alone a semi-p.never..

even thought im pagan, the saying(which has been repeated in the satanism-explained topic herein M&R as a saying majority of satanist live by)do unto others whut they do to you-basically as interactive torwards other ppl to me..
ex.if they respectful i treat them the same...
thing is im very resentful-and not to mention hateful..
but i have yet to iniciate psyshical(sp.)conflict, i prefer to drive them insane from the inside out...which i find more effective than psyschical(sp.)conflict...
dont get me wrong i dont go beserk over petty issues and it takes alot of wearing down my patience for me to get angry,etc

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Newski
we can live in a world without killing if everyone started to be more reasonable and set aside petty differences.
that's part of the problem. as soon as one person disagrees with that ideology, you have violence, and sometimes, the only way to get through to someone, the only way to make a difference in a situation is to fight.

different situations call for different tactics. i can't adhere to 'violence solves everything' nor can i adhere to 'peace solves everything'.
You know...I don't ever ever EVER want to kill anyone. I would feel horrible, but if someone is trying to kill me I have the right to defend myself. In the case of war, killing is expected.

Though I wonder if it is alright for a police officer to shoot someone who has killed other before and might not be possing a threat at the time. See...my mom read me a story about a cop who was looking for a child molster, and he went into the cabin alone and saw the girl dead in the bath tub covered in blood. When he found the guy is was sitting in front of the tv. The blood knife sitting right next to him, the girls blood still all over him, and he was just drinking a beer and watching some mondain show. The officer knew this guy was the type that would slip through the crakes and before you knew it, the guy would be on the streats again and killing children again. So he pushed over a vase so the guy would jump up and look as though he was threatening the cop when he shot him.

My mom and I have debated this...and I'm courious what others think if it is morally right or wrong.
Newski

Me, I believe that all humans are rational beings that have reasoning that goes beyond the need of violence..

I wish I interacted with the people you do...

I usually believe killing is wrong, there are exceptions, but they aren't the general rule. That having been said, I have and will continue to do things I believe to be wrong, the circumstances of my actions may explain them, but they don't justify them. I personally, need conflict. I'm of the opinion that you never know how much you care about something until you have it put to the fire. Untested virtue is no virtue at all. I really don't have much of a problem with brawling, but then again, I am a violent person. I do believe it is important that both members of a fight should have chosen to take it to the physical level. By and large I've found that the body heals, property and the psyche usually don't, or at least not as easily. I don't find anything wrong with people who eschew violence, that's their choice, and it would be as wrong of me to force them to accept my view as it would be for me to not support my own...
Newski

If you wish to help thin the genepool, by all means.

It would be nice if I could just have a rational discussion with everyone rather than a fight, or at worst, kill someone who is about to kill me, I would. Sadly, not everyone is rational. Ever try to talk reasonably to someone who is angry beyond all reason? Chances are they will be slightly less likely to listen to you.

That being said, I see no good reason why I shouldn't preserve my own being. If someone else thinks I should die, why should I allow them to be the determinant of my wellbeing?
No, killing is not morally wrong under any circumstances. But so long as there will be (insert curse word or oath here) who believe otherwise, it is a necessity out of self-defense. Blasted warmongerers. stressed
Triste Morningstar
I'ts perfectly acceptable to kill a human being as long as it does more good than harm. The only problem is weighing the pros and cons. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

You've forsaken your belief in the arbitrary natures of "good" and "bad!" NNNOOOOOOOOO!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff