Welcome to Gaia! ::

Deoridhe
Maze
Deoridhe
My favorite has to be the finding of the runes by Odin. Two lines of Edda, but so much power.

Is that the part where he's hanging upside down from a tree, Deoridhe? *vaguely recalls a story like that*

Not upside down - that's the Hanged Man in the Tarot. Odin hangs from a spear through his chest.

Ouch eek

Man, I really know next to nothing of the stories, I'm noticing. sweatdrop

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Maze

Well, they tend to be very complex, and we've lost a lot over the last 2000 years. I know most of the Odin stories since I focused on him when I first became Asatru.
Deoridhe
Maze

Well, they tend to be very complex, and we've lost a lot over the last 2000 years. I know most of the Odin stories since I focused on him when I first became Asatru.
How much do you know about Thor? I want to learn as much of him (and the other gods) as I can.
vincent_1126
How much do you know about Thor? I want to learn as much of him (and the other gods) as I can.

Check out the links posted a few messages back, Vince. That oughta be a good place to start, I'm thinking.
Maze
vincent_1126

Check out the links posted a few messages back, Vince. That oughta be a good place to start, I'm thinking.
I was looking for more of a personal opinion of him (I guess) but I'll check the links out too. I should have phrased that better sweatdrop

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
vincent_1126

Ur, I've dealt with him some and read his stories, but I'm a dedicant of his father, not him. He is called Protector of Mankind, though, for a good reason; of all the gods, he seems the most generous toward any random human.
Deoridhe
vincent_1126

Ur, I've dealt with him some and read his stories, but I'm a dedicant of his father, not him. He is called Protector of Mankind, though, for a good reason; of all the gods, he seems the most generous toward any random human.
I wonder if that's why the main Asgard Xharecters on Stargate Sg-1 was named Thor? Afterall the majority of the chearcters in Stargate that are no human or Jafa are supossed to be the Gods we worshiped (or in your and Nuri's case still do)
Deoridhe
vincent_1126

Which is good, cause I can be random at times whee

I need more information on (all) this stuff. *decides to go a-hunting when she gets back from work* *takes note to bring her saltstick* wink

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Mmmm, wyrd and orlog - two very difficult concepts to grasp because of their alieness to modern Western thought. ^_^

"That which has been laid down," is a good way to view it. Orlog is the "fate" of the Norse, but it's not "fate" in the sense of, say, Oedipus, who was "fated" to kill his father and marry his mother. The Romans, and thus we Americans, viewed fate as something laid down, inexplicable, and inescapable. I lay this out so you can see this other way of viewing orlog.

(This may be inexact; I grok orlog on a certain level, but I'm not good enough to fully articulate it, yet.)

In contrast, orlog is viewed as that which will happen based on what has occured in the past. Orlog is, to a certain extent, mutable - but the weight of many orlogs can lead to a conclusion no one anticipates. This many orlogs interacting and reinforcing or countering each other is known as "wyrd."

The basic idea is, you make your own future. Your experiences shape your assumptions, your assumptions shape how you respond to new things, your response to new things shapes how the world around you forms, and how the world around you forms shapes your experiences. On the one had, it can be a vicious cycle. On the other hand, you have no one to blame but yourself; this gives you ultimate control, if you take it.
Deoridhe
(This may be inexact; I grok orlog on a certain level, but I'm not good enough to fully articulate it, yet.)

In contrast, orlog is viewed as that which will happen based on what has occured in the past. Orlog is, to a certain extent, mutable - but the weight of many orlogs can lead to a conclusion no one anticipates. This many orlogs interacting and reinforcing or countering each other is known as "wyrd."

The basic idea is, you make your own future. Your experiences shape your assumptions, your assumptions shape how you respond to new things, your response to new things shapes how the world around you forms, and how the world around you forms shapes your experiences. On the one had, it can be a vicious cycle. On the other hand, you have no one to blame but yourself; this gives you ultimate control, if you take it.

I sort of get that.. Hee. I sort of really dig it when I almost get things, but to be honest, it's also just a mite annoying. In any case, I thank you for the addition, Deoridhe. looks like I'll have something to ponder while I do deliveries biggrin

I'll check back again later, though. *waves and is off for a while*
Hmmm.. question though.. How does it work when you adopt someone into your family? Does their orlog mix with yours? Is there a part that stays 'unmixed', or what?

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Maze
Hmmm.. question though.. How does it work when you adopt someone into your family? Does their orlog mix with yours? Is there a part that stays 'unmixed', or what?

Ur, while a group may have orlog which determines what happens if they stay as a group, orlog doesn't "mix" per se, and certainly not along blood lines. For instance, the strongest group I'm in right now has no blood relations between any of us, but when something affects one of us, there's a ripple effect through the group. That would be an example of combined orlogs impacting each other.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
gigacannon
Be honest with yourselves.

You're just attention seekers who are trying to be different, aren't you?

You can't seriously claim that there is a legitimate reason to worship/respect gods deities who in all likelihood have never been anything but fictional, can you?

*shrugs* I have personal relevation for my gods' existence, and you are far to intelligent to even try to suggest objective evidence can undermine faith, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff