Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I'm Jewish. And female. My question is simple. Why does everyone seem to believe that Orthodox Jewish women are treated as inferior. Because I can give you a first-hand report. I'm just as important, if not more important, as my brother.

Liberal Sex Symbol

Have you not seen the news coming from Israel? The Jewish orthodoxy is stomping on alot of nerves on the greater secular society with stupid archaic things like demanding women be covered, or moving back to the bus.

Hell, they even got a medical summit thing to cave in and ban female doctors from being a part of a seminar on OB/Gynecology.

Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean that Jewish Orthodoxy isn't a huge civil rights problem. It's worse than Christian fundamentalism in the states.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

I didn't think Orthodox Jewish women were treated as inferior, actually. Admittedly I'm not on solid ground regarding different forms of Judaism so I tend to avoid making assumptions, on the basis that they'd probably be wrong.

I mean I guess women can't become Rabbis in Orthodox Judaism but that doesn't seem to be a massive issue...?
Because period blood is icky!
Inscriven
Have you not seen the news coming from Israel? The Jewish orthodoxy is stomping on alot of nerves on the greater secular society with stupid archaic things like demanding women be covered, or moving back to the bus.

Hell, they even got a medical summit thing to cave in and ban female doctors from being a part of a seminar on OB/Gynecology.

Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean that Jewish Orthodoxy isn't a huge civil rights problem. It's worse than Christian fundamentalism in the states.

Why don't you show some cultural sensitivity, chauvinist.
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

I think I shall have to roast you for this one.
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Sexism and equality are just two incommensurate modes of discourse, with neither to be preferred over the other. Respect other cultures; your hegemonic Western views do not need to be imposed on others.

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I Refute Berkeley Thus
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Sexism and equality are just two incommensurate modes of discourse, with neither to be preferred over the other. Respect other cultures; your hegemonic Western views do not need to be imposed on others.
There is no reason why I should simply respect other cultures.
TrueLore
I Refute Berkeley Thus
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Bigot.

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I Refute Berkeley Thus
TrueLore
I Refute Berkeley Thus
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Bigot.
You are going to have to explain how that makes me a bigot. If I a culture does something I do not respect I reserve the right not to respect that culture for it. I find it incredibly thick to just respect another culture just because they are another culture. This assumes that I don't know any better or that I don't know enough to judge another culture. Well, I judge them, and I find them wanting.
I Refute Berkeley Thus
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Um no, this one gets enforced.
I Refute Berkeley Thus
TrueLore
I Refute Berkeley Thus
The Willow Of Darkness
Periphrastic Morphology
Inscriven

Bigot.

Yes, in this instance it is appropriate to be a bigot.
Inscriven

I'm really not in the mood to give a lecture on how tzniut is that much more than just covering and it most definitely isn't archaic. The bus thing? Listen. You have your men, you have your women. Tzniut dictates that they are separate. Someone has to be in the back. I can almost guarantee that if the men were in the back, there'd be no discussion here. The reason that the women are in the back has nothiung to do with inferiority.

Aged Gaian

5,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
I read a blog about a women who went to Israel and sat in the front of a bus, the men asked her to move to the back because by sitting in the front she was saying she was "as ugly as a man". I don't know if that's true, but that's what I read.
madametrixie
Inscriven

I'm really not in the mood to give a lecture on how tzniut is that much more than just covering and it most definitely isn't archaic. The bus thing? Listen. You have your men, you have your women. Tzniut dictates that they are separate. Someone has to be in the back. I can almost guarantee that if the men were in the back, there'd be no discussion here. The reason that the women are in the back has nothiung to do with inferiority.

The problem was more that it's a busing service that must adhere to non-discrimination policies, and they were demanding it of non-jewish women too. That's a problem.

I'm still trying to sort out the paramedic service that won't hire women, even though there are calls from within the community that they would like female doctors (and all female crew) to help keep modesty standards in regards to female patients. That just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff