Welcome to Gaia! ::

KTripleH
Chaos lets you be somewhat free.

Chaos can mean randomness and that's helpful for creativity, even in science. Scientists need to be creative to think of hypotheses to experiment on.

I suggest following the best religion, which says everyone will be saved and no one goes to a permanent hell and the purpose of existence is to care about everyone and all existence. See e.g. bilib.webs.com.

By the way, would you like to start your own religion? That's what I'm doing.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
In some regard, what TES does is not unique, but it is obscure which is respectable in its own right. Unfortunately, my continual beef with the TES series is that you get to read about all this super cool crap, but all you ever get to see firsthand is but a slight glimpse of the facade that much of its own lore puts into question.

That's exactly what's so great about it though! In life we get the same thing! We read and learn about all this amazing stuff and then don't always get to experience it first-hand. It adds an extra element of realism for me!
But TES is not and was never about realism. It's a magical fairy land with dragons and a benevolent empire.

Fair enough, though I still think they created a very plausible world. Also, I wouldn't call the empire "benevolent" so much.

Shameless Mystic

Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
In some regard, what TES does is not unique, but it is obscure which is respectable in its own right. Unfortunately, my continual beef with the TES series is that you get to read about all this super cool crap, but all you ever get to see firsthand is but a slight glimpse of the facade that much of its own lore puts into question.

That's exactly what's so great about it though! In life we get the same thing! We read and learn about all this amazing stuff and then don't always get to experience it first-hand. It adds an extra element of realism for me!
But TES is not and was never about realism. It's a magical fairy land with dragons and a benevolent empire.

Fair enough, though I still think they created a very plausible world. Also, I wouldn't call the empire "benevolent" so much.
They go in, sack all of Tamriel, then take all of its problems away like slavery, racial inequality, and the Elven supremacy. No, I do not like the Empire, but the writers seem unanimous in praising them. They're a cult of highbornes worshipping an emperor, banning traffic with Daedra, and subverting local rule through show of force. The Aldmeri Dominion's return signals about the first attempt at destroying the Empire, and they're even worse.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy

They go in, sack all of Tamriel, then take all of its problems away like slavery, racial inequality, and the Elven supremacy. No, I do not like the Empire, but the writers seem unanimous in praising them. They're a cult of highbornes worshipping an emperor, banning traffic with Daedra, and subverting local rule through show of force. The Aldmeri Dominion's return signals about the first attempt at destroying the Empire, and they're even worse.

I think the idea is that the Empire is praised because they're the ones writing the history. That's all very plausible and realistic to me as well. The Empire is hardly going to allow critical stories to be released about it without retribution, after all.
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy

I think the idea is that the Empire is praised because they're the ones writing the history. That's all very plausible and realistic to me as well. The Empire is hardly going to allow critical stories to be released about it without retribution, after all.

I think the Tribunal made a praiseworthy attempt to act as a benevolent government, at least in Vivec's case.

Shameless Mystic

Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Doofi3
False Dichotomy

Yes, but the lack of sedition is weird. It's not that there's some underground thing going on we don't know about... there is nothing. Nobody is trying to overthrow the empire except the Aldmeri.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
False Dichotomy
Yes, but the lack of sedition is weird. It's not that there's some underground thing going on we don't know about... there is nothing. Nobody is trying to overthrow the empire except the Aldmeri.

That isn't true! The Ashlanders were behind the Nerevarine and sure wanted him to lead them in revolt against...well, everyone. Not to mention the Stormcloak rebellion in Skyrim, that was fairly well organized really. In the period of Oblivion the people were united by their terror of the Oblivion Gates and the possibility of Oblivion's takeover of their plane of existence. Its not very intelligent to attempt a coup when their is a mutual enemy that threatens to destroy all people...
Just go agnostic and forget about it.

Shameless Mystic

Doofi3
False Dichotomy

That isn't true! The Ashlanders were behind the Nerevarine and sure wanted him to lead them in revolt against...well, everyone.
The situation in Morrowind was one of unbacked emotion. Morrowind was the last to bend to TIber Septim, and it was Vivec who spun the treaty. The Nerevarine led no such revolt, he simply left the continent altogether after killing Almalexia (and allegedly Vivec).

Quote:
Not to mention the Stormcloak rebellion in Skyrim, that was fairly well organized really.
One: it wasn't led well. Ulfric was an obstinate self righteous racist who's regime would end in nothing but the death of the Empire he so loved.

Two: Ulfric's motives were not of sedition. He was foolheartedly trying to conserve the Empire's values, and was, perhaps, more on the side of the Empire than its leadership themselves. Ulfric had no beef with Empire; he was a stubborn child who would rather fight the Aldmeri head on than allow them to extort the Empire. No one is more loyal to Talos than the Nords.

Quote:
In the period of Oblivion the people were united by their terror of the Oblivion Gates and the possibility of Oblivion's takeover of their plane of existence. Its not very intelligent to attempt a coup when their is a mutual enemy that threatens to destroy all people...
Dagon does not rule. Dagon destroys.

Aged Poster

5,250 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Popular Thread 100
False Dichotomy
Doofi3

That isn't true! The Ashlanders were behind Nerevarine and sure wanted him to lead them in revolt against...well, everyone.
The situation in Morrowind was one of unbacked emotion. Morrowind was the last to bend to TIber Septim, and it was Vivec who spun the treaty. The Nerevarine led no such revolt, he simply left the continent altogether after killing Almalexia (and allegedly Vivec).

I'm aware! I just meant that they hoped for a rebellion led by the Nerevarine.

False Dichotomy
Quote:
Not to mention the Stormcloak rebellion in Skyrim, that was fairly well organized really.
One: it wasn't led well. Ulfric was an obstinate self righteous racist who's regime would end in nothing but the death of the Empire he so loved.

Two: Ulfric's motives were not of sedition. He was foolheartedly trying to conserve the Empire's values, and was, perhaps, more on the side of the Empire than its leadership themselves. Ulfric had no beef with Empire; he was a stubborn child who would rather fight the Aldmeri head on than allow them to extort the Empire. No one is more loyal to Talos than the Nords.

That isn't the point though. Then point is that there were various rebellions of sedition throughout the empire's history which you said there were not.

False Dichotomy

Quote:
In the period of Oblivion the people were united by their terror of the Oblivion Gates and the possibility of Oblivion's takeover of their plane of existence. Its not very intelligent to attempt a coup when their is a mutual enemy that threatens to destroy all people...
Dagon does not rule. Dagon destroys.

I'm sorry, that is what I meant.

Shameless Mystic

Doofi3
False Dichotomy
Quote:

That isn't the point though. Then point is that there were various rebellions of sedition throughout the empire's history which you said there were not.
I just wouldn't call it sedition. Ulfric was a loyalist, and his enemy was the Aldmeri alone. the Empire's attack on Ulfric was for one reason: The Aldmeri forced them to. It wasn't even a matter of murder- he rightfully challenged the High King to a duel which he accepted. The outrage was partly because of his misuse of the voice, and partly because they were shocked anyone could use it.
KTripleH
I think I might not know what religion I should follow

KTripleH
[. . .] I started to worship Chaos Undivided. I like Chaos. Chaos lets you be somewhat free.
The way your title is stated, it opens this topic to the Gaia members trying to push there own religious beliefs on you. I've seen it so many times, so I'll just ask you now a question that I know no one else will care to bother with.

What do you want out of (a) religion? Also, what are the things you hated and/or made you want to leave your previous alignments? Just so I know, what may or may not be a deal breaker.
False Dichotomy

Dagoth Ur made a strong go at it.

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
Sounds like you should just become an atheist and join a social club instead.
KTripleH
I was Christian first, then I was a Nilhist, then I was a cultist Yog-Sothoth, THEN I was obsessed with Tzeench. After I started to dislike the whole "God of betrayal" thing, I started to worship Chaos Undivided. I like Chaos. Chaos lets you be somewhat free.

Just putting this out there
http://www.islamreligion.com/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas