Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chieftain Twilight
Kaniskion
Chieftain Twilight
Kaniskion
Chieftain Twilight

More and more romanticism. Honestly, I think it only serves to diminish the seriousness of the religion. Hinduism is a very real religion with well established doctrines on how to live one's life. morality, knowledge into every possible field like the sciences, art, trade, war, culture, medicine, etc etc. Sadly, everyone thinks it's more like any other mythological religion that is only about stories of gods and mortals fighting epic battles against demons and each other, etc etc. emotion_facepalm

what I'm trying to get at here is that you don't have to so clearly separate the tangible from the mystical. there are lessons everywhere. and perhaps I am overly romantic or metaphorical. maybe I'm whimsical and naive. so what? ^_^ is it so wrong? smile

Not really. But that's why we have so much fan fiction for that very reason. Yes, religion isn't real, lololol and is good as fan fiction but it is also considered by many to be real for the tangible and down to earth concepts that they hold. You certainly wouldn't try to apply the same mysticism to Christianity or Islam so why Hinduism?

that's where you're wrong. ^_^ I do it for all 3, among others. I have a Quran right by my bed at this very moment, which I try to interpret for literal and/or metaphorical Truth.

Good for you, man. emotion_yatta Personally I think religion should be open to interpretation in different ways. In fact, it's very much called for and encouraged in Hinduism itself. But I feel like, over time, people have ran way with it into extremes that have diluted the religion more than provide better understanding. Still, as long as there is no bias and it's with good intentions, then it's a-okay. 3nodding

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Kaniskion
Chieftain Twilight
Kaniskion
Chieftain Twilight
Kaniskion
Chieftain Twilight

More and more romanticism. Honestly, I think it only serves to diminish the seriousness of the religion. Hinduism is a very real religion with well established doctrines on how to live one's life. morality, knowledge into every possible field like the sciences, art, trade, war, culture, medicine, etc etc. Sadly, everyone thinks it's more like any other mythological religion that is only about stories of gods and mortals fighting epic battles against demons and each other, etc etc. emotion_facepalm

what I'm trying to get at here is that you don't have to so clearly separate the tangible from the mystical. there are lessons everywhere. and perhaps I am overly romantic or metaphorical. maybe I'm whimsical and naive. so what? ^_^ is it so wrong? smile

Not really. But that's why we have so much fan fiction for that very reason. Yes, religion isn't real, lololol and is good as fan fiction but it is also considered by many to be real for the tangible and down to earth concepts that they hold. You certainly wouldn't try to apply the same mysticism to Christianity or Islam so why Hinduism?

that's where you're wrong. ^_^ I do it for all 3, among others. I have a Quran right by my bed at this very moment, which I try to interpret for literal and/or metaphorical Truth.

Good for you, man. emotion_yatta Personally I think religion should be open to interpretation in different ways. In fact, it's very much called for and encouraged in Hinduism itself. But I feel like, over time, people have ran way with it into extremes that have diluted the religion more than provide better understanding. Still, as long as there is no bias and it's with good intentions, then it's a-okay. 3nodding

:shrugs.: I will just say that I don't use my approach arbitrarily. ^_^

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm sort of upset that this topic hasn't had continued love. I hope nobody minds me necroing it.... ninja

Hinduism? discuss?
Chieftain Twilight
I'm sort of upset that this topic hasn't had continued love. I hope nobody minds me necroing it.... ninja

Hinduism? discuss?

Reincarnating it, surely.
- ninja

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Lucky~9~Lives
Chieftain Twilight

Hinduism? discuss?

Reincarnating it, surely.
- ninja

heh. nice one. xd

which leads me to a thought... is it heretical of me to think that the interpretation of Samsara is illogical? like.... I don't get it. the idea that bugs and animals and people and all that are classified in ranks according to their capacity for moral existence just rings entirely of authoritarian bullshit to me. but if I reject that belief, am I able to really consider myself Hindu?

Devout Fairy

Chieftain Twilight

which leads me to a thought... is it heretical of me to think that the interpretation of Samsara is illogical? like.... I don't get it. the idea that bugs and animals and people and all that are classified in ranks according to their capacity for moral existence just rings entirely of authoritarian bullshit to me. but if I reject that belief, am I able to really consider myself Hindu?

The Vedas are built on authoritarian bullshit

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Nityananda-rama dasa
Chieftain Twilight

The Vedas are built on authoritarian bullshit

well, yeh. but that answer doesn't really do anything to continue the debate, now does it? go on, elaborate. extrapolate. make s**t up for all I care. there has to be more to it than just "it's authoritarian bullshit".

Saint Bloodsucker

CuAnnan
EricKrasnyy
1) Wow. Talk about overly hostile. How so are they internally inconsistent? As stated earlier, Hinduism is very open to interpretation, there is no real consistency.

As stated by a white guy in America who has never studied hinduism in an academic setting?
******** that definition.
******** anyone who thinks that it should count for anything.
Culture rapists are not authoritative on what Hinduism is.

EricKrasnyy
He's a westerner who believes in Hinduism.

Nope.
He's a westerner bastardising a culture and religion he knows nothing about and calling it Hinduism.
Just like you I suspect.

EricKrasnyy
everything they believe in except maybe Wicca

Nope.

EricKrasnyy
Wicca is based on Germanic paganism.

Nope.

EricKrasnyy
2) I was just asking you to leave some one alone. I never said anything about my ethical standpoint.

For ******** sake. You said "You shouldn't ridicule a person for their beliefs"
Should not.
Why should I not?
So it turns out that you don't actually understand words. You just use them?

EricKrasnyy
If you wish for me to do this, it will take some time (I'm also currently not home), so don't expect a fast response

Yes. Yes I wish this.

EricKrasnyy
4) Had to Google this. A WASP is a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. I'm neither from New England nor of Old Money so I don't think this really applies. I don't have much English blood, truth be told as I'm mostly German of other stripes. I was raised Protestant quite strongly, but I never had a choice until later in my life like most people who stray away will tell you. I do not see what the color of my skin has to do with my faith.

Actually, it's about patterns.
It's generally White Americans, who feel they are lacking any kind of cultural identity of their own, rape and pillage other cultures for what makes them unique.

EricKrasnyy
Also, please be respectful to people. Ethics aside, it's just courtesy.

Did you completely miss the ******** point with my "stop projecting your cultural values on me" thing I was going for?
I am not of your culture.
I do not follow the mores of your culture.
I do not buy into the "you have to be nice to assholes who think that other people's cultures exist solely as decoration for them" bullshit attitude you're going for.
Respect is to be earned not demanded.
And if I have to be respectful, then why the ******** is your imperialistic "adhere to my standards because they are somehow better than yours" bullshit attitude acceptable? Because it's not very respectful, is it?
What you actually mean is "be nice and friendly and sacharine sweet". To which I say "******** no".

You're like 50 years old talking to children on the internet. While I agree wholeheartedly with you I think you are a creep.

Devout Fairy

Chieftain Twilight

well, yeh. but that answer doesn't really do anything to continue the debate, now does it? go on, elaborate. extrapolate. make s**t up for all I care. there has to be more to it than just "it's authoritarian bullshit".

It does in so much as that if you are not a fan of authoritarianism, Hinduism may not be the best place to look.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Nityananda-rama dasa
Chieftain Twilight

It does in so much as that if you are not a fan of authoritarianism, Hinduism may not be the best place to look.

what does "it does in so much that..." mean? please, use subject verb agreement.

anyway.

again, you aren't explaining anything, just making statements. there isn't an argument here. it's empty words.

Devout Fairy

Chieftain Twilight

what does "it does in so much that..." mean? please, use subject verb agreement.

anyway.

again, you aren't explaining anything, just making statements. there isn't an argument here. it's empty words.

I am really not sure how it came out like that... I meant "It does it so much that...."

I am not attempting to have a debate, I am pointing out that if you disagree with a recurring theme in the religion much in the same way that if monotheism isn't your bag, Islam may not be the right direction to head in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff