Welcome to Gaia! ::

EricKrasnyy
I never wanted this to be thread to be an argument. I only wanted other Hindus or at least people who identify with Hinduism to know they're not alone on Gaia. I suppose I never said this, but I felt like I didn't have to.

Ah. Then you are in the wrong forum.
The purpose for ED and its related subfora is for arguments. That is, logically coherent statements supported by evidence and or proof.
Perhaps you would find a more receptive audience in either Life Issues or General Discussion?
I would also suggest, in general, that you read forum rules before posting threads in forums. It may save you further hassle in the future.
Do you consider yourself to be a follower of Sanatana Dharma?

Devout Fairy

Soooo, I know that I am like, a month late, but.....

The term Hinduism is miss leading and does not have a solid definition...

That being said, I am a brahinicaly initiated member of the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya Vaisnava sampradaya

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xiam
It's always rude, dude. I call myself out on that s**t all the time. Though probably not in text...

I don't think it's rude.
I think that tone is infinitely less important than content.
I think that if you say something that is going to hurt someone in a tone that makes it seem less like it's going to hurt you are being hypocritical.
I think that content is so much more important than tone that tone is irrelevant.
Show me which explicit rule of society I am breaking or stop conflating "unpleasant" with "disrespectful".

Xiam
Doesn't to me. And I'm not even Hindu.

I'm sorry, I meant to have implied more heavily that "means" was "means, to an average white person". I had thought the context was enough for that. I shall endeavour to rely less on context and be more explicit, though it may lead to more wordy posts.

Xiam
Which content?

All of it.

Xiam
And what exactly makes you think these particular individuals are doing that?

The posts.

Xiam
At least they're trying though, eh?

Very.

Xiam
You mentioned that Christianity simply requires to read the book.

I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Xiam
So here you are, complaining that these people are enjoying green tea ice cream, and... what, telling them to throw it away? Get some ********' cookies and cream because that's what you think is the "proper" kind of ice cream?

No.
I'm complaining that they're eating souffle, calling it ice cream because they once read an ice cream wrapper and liked the sugar in it.
See, I can create misrepresenting metaphors and pretend they apply to the situation when in fact they're just really obvious straw men of the position too.
Only I had thought better of you than that.

Xiam
That's just as bad as what he was doing.

No. It's worse.
And if you can't see why, then I'm pretty much out of respect for you.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
CuAnnan
I think that if you say something that is going to hurt someone in a tone that makes it seem less like it's going to hurt you are being hypocritical.

I'm not sure that's the word I would have used. "Polite," perhaps. "Subtle," maybe. "Gentle," most certainly.

I mean, how do you tell someone their dog died without outright lying and saying he went to live on a farm?

CuAnnan
I think that content is so much more important than tone that tone is irrelevant.
Show me which explicit rule of society I am breaking or stop conflating "unpleasant" with "disrespectful".

I would, except it's been so long since I responded, and you didn't give any context, that I don't remember what you even said. And I'm currently too lazy to check back through the thread and find your post.

So meh. Whatever.

CuAnnan
Xiam
You mentioned that Christianity simply requires to read the book.

I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Again, can't check, but this one I'm a bit clearer in memory, and I am pretty sure you did.

CuAnnan
Only I had thought better of you than that.

Oh look at you, trying to act like the more intelligent person. How brilliant and clever and wonderful of you, you are the talk of the town, you are Morality & Religion's Hero.

CuAnnan
Xiam
That's just as bad as what he was doing.

No. It's worse.

Alright, so what you're doing is worse. That's your prerogative, I guess, and I'll leave you to it.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xiam
I mean, how do you tell someone their dog died without outright lying and saying he went to live on a farm?

"Your dog is dead".
Don't presume to patronise them. They will deal with the grief the same regardless of the tone.
I wouldn't tell my five year old nephew the lie "your dog is on a farm". I'd tell him he was dead.
Because lies don't actually help.

Xiam
Again, can't check, but this one I'm a bit clearer in memory, and I am pretty sure you did.

No, I said that it was an exception to what I know of not being able to do so.
That would be denying the correlative, no?
I am, at best, unsure about Christianity.

Xiam
Oh look at you, trying to act like the more intelligent person. How brilliant and clever and wonderful of you, you are the talk of the town, you are Morality & Religion's Hero.

And there goes the last of it.

Xiam
Alright, so what you're doing is worse. That's your prerogative, I guess, and I'll leave you to it.

You're mangling the context there, not sure if it's intentional or not. I would have thought prior to these last two exchanges it was in error but it's difficult to tell now.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
CuAnnan
Xiam

"Your dog is dead".
Don't presume to patronise them. They will deal with the grief the same regardless of the tone.
I wouldn't tell my five year old nephew the lie "your dog is on a farm". I'd tell him he was dead.
Because lies don't actually help.

But there is a difference between breaking it to them gently, and going "HA HA YOUR DOG'S DEAD YOU LITTLE s**t."

CuAnnan
Xiam

No, I said that it was an exception to what I know of not being able to do so.
That would be denying the correlative, no?
I am, at best, unsure about Christianity.

You lost me.

CuAnnan
Xiam

You're mangling the context there, not sure if it's intentional or not. I would have thought prior to these last two exchanges it was in error but it's difficult to tell now.

I was half-joking, but I'm totally serious that that's how it sounded. Your response was poorly worded.

I'm just saying.
We have a bit of a way to go friends. Were in this journey together, we dont need to attack each others characters. Think about the potential here to share minds and help each other grow here. In my opinion the worlds far from getting better if we avoid our own human shortcomings by being defensive and project them on others. Maybe why we react angrily at people isnt because of them but because of our own judgements of ourselves that we then judge in other people. None of us have perfect characters. I think we should honestly look at ourselves instead of always seeing the worst in everyone else. How do you think that will make others feel about you? We see through each others masks theres no need to hide our real insecurities and bully each other when they show some of those qualities.
Not directed at anyone, just something I felt.
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
One of my favorite concepts is the universe itself being just a dream of... I think Vishnu?

Brahma dreams it...Vishnu maintains the dream...

That sounds like the romanticized version of Hinduism that Westerners like to believe. The universe is very real according to Hinduism.
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives

That sounds like the romanticized version of Hinduism that Westerners like to believe. The universe is very real according to Hinduism.

It sounds like you think dreams aren't real.
Lucky~9~Lives
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives

Dreams are only virtually real. They have no physical bearing.

Trust me. There was a period of time in Hinduism's evolution were people thought entire creation was just an illusion. It took the efforts of a sage called Madhavacharya to correct everyone's misconceptions and prove this universe is as real as any other.
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives

What I dream effects what I do.
Lucky~9~Lives
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives
Kaniskion
Lucky~9~Lives

What I dream effects what I do.

Good for you, man. emotion_yatta
SylverStar
I consider myself mostly Hindu, but I'm a westerner so I came to this on my own and wasn't raised Hindu and probably have many ideas that clash with those who were. That being said I feel it's the religion the best encompasses what I believe in.

I'm curious to know what your beliefs are. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces