Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3
  hell

do you believe in hell? why? what kind?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 27, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Also conspicuously missing (dunno if someone mentioned, was lazy and didn't read whole thread) is reincarnation. A large number of people believe in that. =)

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
It's been mentioned.
FushigiNaButterfly
It's been mentioned.

Ahh, I figured. I guess I shouldn't have been lazy, huh? whee

I've always found the Chrisitan heaven/hell concept to be interesting. I think it tells us more about how people view the living world than the world of the dead. We see in the world both heaven and hell existing on Earth, and that gets projected into a spiritual belief.

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Personally I believe in Heaven and Hell, but because I believe so strongly in what I believe, I'm not going to question the details on either. I know they are exactly the way they are supposed to be, and when my time comes, I know exactly where I'm going. heart
I think about this stuff a lot for some reason. 0o

I believe in both...But since so many people are predominantly good, i think that heaven is much bigger than hell. I think hell is for people who chose not to accept that what they did was wrong and who, after knowing of God, decide not to follow him anyway. So heaven is a separation from God, with all the other people who chose not to follow God for their own benefits.

No one yell at me please. crying
Syllie
I think about this stuff a lot for some reason. 0o

I believe in both...But since so many people are predominantly good, i think that heaven is much bigger than hell. I think hell is for people who chose not to accept that what they did was wrong and who, after knowing of God, decide not to follow him anyway. So heaven is a separation from God, with all the other people who chose not to follow God for their own benefits.

No one yell at me please. crying

i also tend to believe that hell is a choice.

for me, it's like the Kantian ethical imperative.

the world is the way you are; you make it by the way you act (my interpretation).

so if you live a greedy violent selfish hostile uncaring life that is the world you make for yourself forever.

which sure seems like hell to me.
Can someone tell me the purpose of hell? I really doubt anyone here can, except maybe a non-Christian who's given it some thought and made a theory.

You can believe hell is seperation from God all you want, but what is Hell's purpose?
To have somewhere to put people who have made it clear they don't want to be with god?
No one wants to be seperated from God unless they've been influenced to do so and do not understand what they do. We are ignorant and can not understand God's ways.

We are children to God, 'we know not what we do'.. Jesus said, " Forgive them, they know not what they do. " and truer words have never been spoken.

How can you justify sending people to Hell if they don't know, according to the Bible, what they're doing?

Now, there should be a purpose for Hell other than storage.. somewhere to put God-created waste, which he is willing to abandon for some odd reason.

It is pointless, therefor purposeless to send people to Hell because it achieves nothing. It doesn't teach anyone a lesson, it isn't necessary, God could easily save these people. He has to power to spare us from torment for our mistakes ( or God's mistake of creating imperfect beings, then blaming them when they're not perfect ) yet, he does nothing.

That is abandonment, and a parent would never abandon their child.

Would you abandon someone you love for their mistakes?

Get this straight: No one asked to be born, and we would all be perfect if we could. I think even most simple people wouldn't mind being perfect and knowing which religion to follow, and never make mistakes.

If it was up to me, I'd be perfect. However, we don't have THAT kind of free will.

EDIT: Not a bad answer, though. Simple, but clever.
Trust_No1
Hell
Hell is the future place of eternal punishment of the damned including the devil and his fallen angels. There are several words rendered as Hell: Hades - A Greek word. It is the place of the dead, the location of the person between death and resurrection. (See Matt. 11:23; 16:18; Acts 11:27; 1 Cor. 15:55; Rev. 1:18; 6: cool . Gehenna - A Greek word. It was the place where dead bodies were dumped and burned (2 Kings 23:13-14). Jesus used the word to designate the place of eternal torment (Matt. 5:22,29,30; Mark 9:43; Luke 12:5). Sheol - A Hebrew word. It is the place of the dead, not necessarily the grave, but the place the dead go to. It is used of both the righteous (Psalm 16:10; 30:3; Isaiah 38:10) and the wicked (Num. 16:33; Job. 24:19; Psalm 9:17). Hell is a place of eternal fire (Matt. 25:41; Rev. 19:20). It was prepared for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41) and will be the abode of the wicked (Rev. 22: cool and the fallen angels (2 Pet. 2:4).

Meow 4laugh

What he said.
Sleepysmile
No one wants to be seperated from God unless they've been influenced to do so and do not understand what they do. We are ignorant and can not understand God's ways.

We are children to God, 'we know not what we do'.. Jesus said, " Forgive them, they know not what they do. " and truer words have never been spoken.

How can you justify sending people to Hell if they don't know, according to the Bible, what they're doing?
That's what christians who preach are for, and if they don't, they're not doing their job!
Quote:

Now, there should be a purpose for Hell other than storage.. somewhere to put God-created waste, which he is willing to abandon for some odd reason.

It is pointless, therefor purposeless to send people to Hell because it achieves nothing. It doesn't teach anyone a lesson, it isn't necessary, God could easily save these people. He has to power to spare us from torment for our mistakes ( or God's mistake of creating imperfect beings, then blaming them when they're not perfect ) yet, he does nothing.
I have the urge at this point to compare it to prison - locking away people who don't behave.
Anyway, I guess the answer to that one, as usual, is free will. We have the choice not to end up in hell, if we do, that's our fault. And ending up in heaven would probably ruin it for everyone else, if we didn't deserve to be there in the first place and started being mean or something.
And it's not necessarily torture I *think*, since I think the torment is implied simply in the being away from god bit.
Quote:

Never say never. It happens.
Quote:

Let's say you have a child who is completely self-destructive and harms others because of their actions. For the 18 years they've lived under your roof, you've tried to set them on the right path[well, not starting quite from birth I suppose, but let's stay they start really, really acting up from age...10?], away from being abusive or mean, and later on, to try and get them away from alcohol and drug abuse. No matter what you do, you can't seem to stop them. But you don't want to force them away from it, you understand that they should want to stop of their own free will. But after many a year, it just goes on, and gets worse. Maybe it's moved onto murder and such. Do you keep them around, causing harm to everyone around them, or try and get them put away into rehab or something? Many would wash their hands of the child in that situation. Because they had the choice to not live that way, but they turned their back on it, and you.
Quote:

Get this straight: No one asked to be born, and we would all be perfect if we could.
No, I'm pretty sure a lot are happy not being perfect. A scary amount. Again, never say never.
Quote:

I think even most simple people wouldn't mind being perfect and knowing which religion to follow, and never make mistakes.
Simple? If they are simple and not too caught up in insane wordly matters like how much money they have or houses they have, or who they can manipulate for whatever gain, perhaps.
Quote:

If it was up to me, I'd be perfect. However, we don't have THAT kind of free will.
But we try our best.
Quote:

Thanks wink

**Note: I'm arguing purely as devil's advocate here; I'm not christian.
The image I get is a VERY hot place and people working in it. But, beyond that, I haven't really thought about it. I don't fear it as much as I should probably. I fear what God's thoughts are about me, more.
maybe if there is a heaven it wouldn't seem so heavenly with hellish people rampaging through it?
bluewolfcub
Sleepysmile

That's what christians who preach are for, and if they don't, they're not doing their job!
Quote:

I have the urge at this point to compare it to prison - locking away people who don't behave.
Anyway, I guess the answer to that one, as usual, is free will. We have the choice not to end up in hell, if we do, that's our fault. And ending up in heaven would probably ruin it for everyone else, if we didn't deserve to be there in the first place and started being mean or something.
And it's not necessarily torture I *think*, since I think the torment is implied simply in the being away from god bit.
Quote:

Never say never. It happens.
Quote:

Let's say you have a child who is completely self-destructive and harms others because of their actions. For the 18 years they've lived under your roof, you've tried to set them on the right path[well, not starting quite from birth I suppose, but let's stay they start really, really acting up from age...10?], away from being abusive or mean, and later on, to try and get them away from alcohol and drug abuse. No matter what you do, you can't seem to stop them. But you don't want to force them away from it, you understand that they should want to stop of their own free will. But after many a year, it just goes on, and gets worse. Maybe it's moved onto murder and such. Do you keep them around, causing harm to everyone around them, or try and get them put away into rehab or something? Many would wash their hands of the child in that situation. Because they had the choice to not live that way, but they turned their back on it, and you.
Quote:

Get this straight: No one asked to be born, and we would all be perfect if we could.
No, I'm pretty sure a lot are happy not being perfect. A scary amount. Again, never say never.
Quote:

I think even most simple people wouldn't mind being perfect and knowing which religion to follow, and never make mistakes.
Simple? If they are simple and not too caught up in insane wordly matters like how much money they have or houses they have, or who they can manipulate for whatever gain, perhaps.
Quote:

But we try our best.
Quote:

Thanks wink

**Note: I'm arguing purely as devil's advocate here; I'm not christian.

" That's what christians who preach are for, and if they don't, they're not doing their job! "

That doesn't change a thing. A Christian telling me God exists doesn't make it certain, especially when I know more about Christianity than a majority of so-called Christians.

How can we be judged on something so opinionative? It just doesn't make sense.. why are we blamed if we do not follow something that does not make sense to us?

"I have the urge at this point to compare it to prison - locking away people who don't behave."

It's not about behavior, though. It's about belief. People don't get locked away for their beliefs... well, not anymore.

" That is abandonment, and a parent would never abandon their child. " ~ Sleepysmile

" Never say never. It happens. " ~ bluewolfcub

I meant a loving parent, as I was comparing them to the assumed Christian God. Most parents would give their life for their Children. Does human love and forgiveness outweigh the love and forgiveness of God? In my experiance, it would seem so.

Quote:
No matter what you do, you can't seem to stop them. But you don't want to force them away from it, you understand that they should want to stop of their own free will. But after many a year, it just goes on, and gets worse. Maybe it's moved onto murder and such. Do you keep them around, causing harm to everyone around them, or try and get them put away into rehab or something?

Look.. people are sent to Hell for not believing in God. Nothing else... once they're in the afterlife, I'm pretty sure they'll be convinced. Good people go to Hell.

And Hell isn't like prison or rehab.. it's not some sort of reform, people don't learn a lesson.. it's not a punishment. It's a one way street.. no matter how many times you beg for mercy, you scream God's name and call for help, according to the Bible there will be no answer.

It's funny how now that these people in Hell now know the truth, and may call for God.. beg for forgiveness of their foolish mistakes during life, that for some reason now it's too late. That you HAVE to believe in God before you die.. during life, which is uncertain and confusing, un-fair and opinionative.

Quote:

Yet, humanity as a whole is a perfectionist. Society is a perfectionist. People damn near expect you to be perfect already.

Quote:
But we try our best.

Actually, I almost said something about trying our best at the end of my orginal post. I was going to say something about, " All we can do is try our best. "

But, apparently our best isn't always good enough for God, for some reason.

I've also said in a previous discussion:

" We may not be able to choose our path. But we can choose to walk it. "

Ask if you'd like a link to that discussion, though I thought I'd posted the link somewhere in this thread.
Quote:
according to the Bible there will be no answer.

Wrong!

As Jesus said (no time to quote direct passage now), about a man owning money (reference to hell), "they will not go out until they give back everything". Meaning it's possible to "give back everything" and get out.

Also, in one of letters by Paul or Peter it's spoken about that those who trust in Christ but their faith "will not get salvated, unless by hellfire".

Hell leds to salvation. wink

I'll laugh my a** off anyway, when all you christians will burn in 13 aztec hells because you denied the sacrifice of Quetzalcoatl. Buahahaha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff