Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can it be proven to be possible? Can witchcraft be real?

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Hypothetically, it could be proven. There definitely are those who identify as Wiccans. Whether they get any power out of it is questionable and would need further analyses.

The silly witchcraft stuff that is found in teen girl magazines should not be regarded as relevant. Putting a statue of a duck in your closet and then moving it under your bed will not help you get your crush to like you.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
No.
It has no credibility.
No practical use.
No place anywhere except fiction.

Anyone who claims to be a witch or performs witchcraft is either a liar or delusional. This includes any person who claims that witchcraft is part of their religion. I do not exclude religion from scrutiny because I do not hold religion to be sacred.
It's real but I wouldn't involve myself in it.
AliKat1988
Hypothetically, it could be proven. There definitely are those who identify as Wiccans. Whether they get any power out of it is questionable and would need further analyses.

The silly witchcraft stuff that is found in teen girl magazines should not be regarded as relevant. Putting a statue of a duck in your closet and then moving it under your bed will not help you get your crush to like you.

Thank you for your mature response.

I'm not referring to the wannabe witches that's found in teen girl magazine as you said. The teen girl magazines tend to put witches off as a sexy Halloween, love focused, girls.

With the research I've conducted, love is not a huge priority with witches.
Blood Valkyrie
No.
It has no credibility.
No practical use.
No place anywhere except fiction.

Anyone who claims to be a witch or performs witchcraft is either a liar or delusional. This includes any person who claims that witchcraft is part of their religion. I do not exclude religion from scrutiny because I do not hold religion to be sacred.

Religion is a serious thing.
Lady Kariel
It's real but I wouldn't involve myself in it.

Why not?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Funnycn

arrow It may be serious and to some it may be sacrosanct. It is not, however, exempt from scrutiny and/or criticism.

arrow If belief in witchcraft hurts another being, religion or no religion, it needs to be called out and/or prosecuted if it ends or threatens a life.

arrow Witchcraft as anything other than a psychological and ritual phenomenon has not been shown nor proven to be anything other than that.
GayAndGodlessVegan
Funnycn

arrow It may be serious and to some it may be sacrosanct. It is not, however, exempt from scrutiny and/or criticism.

arrow If belief in witchcraft hurts another being, religion or no religion, it needs to be called out and/or prosecuted if it ends or threatens a life.

arrow Witchcraft as anything other than a psychological and ritual phenomenon has not been shown nor proven to be anything other than that.

I. Everything us vulnerable to criticism.

II. Most of the time, it doesn't.

III. Yes, but is there anyway to prove it? Any plausible way to test its validity?
Do I believe it is possible that someone can avada kedavra a b***h? No.

But if you look into some wicca practices and compare them to the idea that (and I forget the name for this so please forgive me) if you bring a certain energy - you can expect results similar to that energy, or that through believing something of a certain energy can happen, that it will, then maybe.

Like the practice of writing something (such as a goal) on a candle and letting it burn all day. That candle will be on your mind, making you more determined to meet that goal. That is possible. It can't really be proven that it was the practice that helped you meet that goal however it is a source of determination

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Funnycn

III. Yes, but is there anyway to prove it? Any plausible way to test its validity?

arrow Glad we agree. Religion/philosophy is never exempt from criticism or from being called out on its problematic and damaging things.

arrow As long as the so-called 'witch' or 'shaman' or whatever doesn't actually hurt other sentient beings, there is no reason to ridicule/mock or attack their practices. We agree on that.

arrow Is there any way to prove there aren't tiny pixies living in your head? Or that there aren't any invisible unicorns under your bed?
Tests would have to be devised to indeed measure whatever it is these 'witches' claim to be able to do. If they fail the rigorous tests which will be handled by scientists who are completely impartial, then it can be shown they are in fact charlatans and/or that witchraft doesn't differ from just commonplace religious practices and has no supernatural element to it that allows it to 'control' any forces.
Its-beezy

But if you look into some wicca practices and compare them to the idea that (and I forget the name for this so please forgive me) if you bring a certain energy - you can expect results similar to that energy, or that through believing something of a certain energy can happen, that it will, then maybe.

Like the practice of writing something (such as a goal) on a candle and letting it burn all day. That candle will be on your mind, making you more determined to meet that goal. That is possible. It can't really be proven that it was the practice that helped you meet that goal however it is a source of determination

So to a degree, some form of witchcraft does exist, is what you're saying?
GayAndGodlessVegan
Funnycn

arrow Glad we agree. Religion/philosophy is never exempt from criticism or from being called out on its problematic and damaging things.

arrow As long as the so-called 'witch' or 'shaman' or whatever doesn't actually hurt other sentient beings, there is no reason to ridicule/mock or attack their practices. We agree on that.

arrow Is there any way to prove there aren't tiny pixies living in your head? Or that there aren't any invisible unicorns under your bed?
Tests would have to be devised to indeed measure whatever it is these 'witches' claim to be able to do. If they fail the rigorous tests which will be handled by scientists who are completely impartial, then it can be shown they are in fact charlatans and/or that witchraft doesn't differ from just commonplace religious practices and has no supernatural element to it that allows it to 'control' any forces.

I. Glad we agree as well, saves a lot of arguing.

II. ^

III. Testing would be the only valid way to see if witchcraft, even if to a small degree, does exist.
Funnycn
Its-beezy

So to a degree, some form of witchcraft does exist, is what you're saying?

Technically yes lol

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Funnycn

III. Testing would be the only valid way to see if witchcraft, even if to a small degree, does exist.

arrow Witchcraft as in the ability to actually influence events, people, the elements and goodness else knows what through means other than natural. Not just suggestion or interference, but drawing upon 'forces' to change the outcome of an event, to cause strange or unexplained occurrences and defy the laws of physics and/or gravity through mere intent alone. Brain scans would need to be taken and see whether there are changes in the person's chemistry as they perform any rituals or recite any 'spells' and enchantments.
It would be done in areas far secluded from whatever target. If they claim clairvoyance, they must not be able to see anything concerning the person or thing they are meant to be looking for.

I'd feel pretty confident that just like psychics can be debunked, witches can be shown to be utter and absolute frauds, and witchcraft to be just another way of people to seek some measure of control over the world around them, whilst not actually doing anything other than preparing themselves psychologically to accomplish some task.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff