• Person of Interest 200
AliKat1988
Blood Valkyrie
crystalpraise
stealthmongoose
crystalpraise
God has never accepted slavery in the bible😒

Luke and others seem to disagree.

The bible is to be Studied not quoted...

How does one study without quoting at some point?
The quotes are important but can't be handled without deeply understanding them. Most people can't be expected to do this-it requires more of an anthropological/historical/sociological approach to studying religion. A typical Christian outside academia will interpret the Bible to match their preconceptions of what they and/or their pastor think. Atheists will sometimes do this to when they perpetuate simple memes.
The single most bizarre re-interpretation I have heard of was St Augustine deciding the genocidal passages were in fact metaphorical for conquering sinful desires. The stories in the Old Testament discussing genocide were in fact about love.

He straight up said that the bible is not to be quoted, which means that quotes are not important. So, I am confuzzled.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Blood Valkyrie
AliKat1988
Blood Valkyrie
crystalpraise
stealthmongoose
crystalpraise
God has never accepted slavery in the bible😒

Luke and others seem to disagree.

The bible is to be Studied not quoted...

How does one study without quoting at some point?
The quotes are important but can't be handled without deeply understanding them. Most people can't be expected to do this-it requires more of an anthropological/historical/sociological approach to studying religion. A typical Christian outside academia will interpret the Bible to match their preconceptions of what they and/or their pastor think. Atheists will sometimes do this to when they perpetuate simple memes.
The single most bizarre re-interpretation I have heard of was St Augustine deciding the genocidal passages were in fact metaphorical for conquering sinful desires. The stories in the Old Testament discussing genocide were in fact about love.

He straight up said that the bible is not to be quoted, which means that quotes are not important. So, I am confuzzled.
I think he meant it in the sense that you are supposed to understand what you are reading in context and in relation to how best to interpret it. He probably is the sort that uses a shallower view of the bible that assumes it inerrant. In that sort you have to study all of it together to explain away things you and your church do not believe (the role of evangelical apologists is to perform these mental gymnastic feats) and the contradictions that show up when you recognize each book of the bible was written independently of the others-except the the synoptic gospels, which clearly involved plagiarism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff