Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cunning Lunatic

Batyah
trained or untrained dog? Just kidding the last bit I said is irrelevant. But I am in need of human interaction so I wanna play this game ^^ if you be so kind as to participate with me

Trained. It's something I've been training for 20+ years. Without going into too much personal detail, I don't register morality in the same way you do. I understand consequences and cause and effect, and I've developed a code of ethics, in a manner of speaking, as a sort of guideline for how to behave. But the empathy and conscience that tell you not to drop puppies out of a window or covet your neighbour's wife are foreign to me.

Shameless Worshipper

8,400 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Terrapin On Down
Batyah
trained or untrained dog? Just kidding the last bit I said is irrelevant. But I am in need of human interaction so I wanna play this game ^^ if you be so kind as to participate with me

Trained. It's something I've been training for 20+ years. Without going into too much personal detail, I don't register morality in the same way you do. I understand consequences and cause and effect, and I've developed a code of ethics, in a manner of speaking, as a sort of guideline for how to behave. But the empathy and conscience that tell you not to drop puppies out of a window or covet your neighbour's wife are foreign to me.
hmm interesting. I know iv trained myself to mimic emotion. Its easier to pretend to respond than explaining why I didnt. But I fallow

Cunning Lunatic

Batyah
hmm interesting. I know iv trained myself to mimic emotion. Its easier to pretend to respond than explaining why I didnt. But I fallow

Yep. The deception is something you get used to.

Shameless Worshipper

8,400 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Terrapin On Down
Batyah

I wonder if that falls under survival of the social world?

Cunning Lunatic

Batyah
Terrapin On Down
Batyah

I wonder if that falls under survival of the social world?

I think survival is a very apt term in some regards. There are a lot of people who simply don't experience strong emotions. That's typically not to dangerous in and of itself. And most people aren't going to lynch you for not crying when old yeller dies. In most cases I suspect it's just the easiest way to diffuse otherwise potentially uncomfortable or trying situations. Pretend to empathize and you avoid the awkwardness. But for some people it's not simply an emotional numbness. There's much more going on. And when words like sociopath start flying, with all the negative connotations, it can quickly become dangerous indeed. I think that is when survival becomes a legitimate explanation for what is otherwise just an act of convenience.

Floppy Member

Wow I feel really sorry for TANRailgun considering how her thread is getting crapped for off-topic chattering.

Cunning Lunatic

The Legendary Guest
Wow I feel really sorry for TANRailgun considering how her thread is getting crapped for off-topic chattering.

o_O I do hope you're not referring to us.
Because while I admit that batyah's comments are kind of off the cuff, there is certainly a correlation between my original post regarding morality and how it's viewed from religion to religion and my latest post. Emotions factor strongly into one's conscience, how you perceive right and wrong, and what you consider ethical.

Floppy Member

Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest

Because while I admit that batyah's comments are kind of off the cuff, there is certainly a correlation between my original post regarding morality and how it's viewed from religion to religion and my latest post. Emotions factor strongly into one's conscience, how you perceive right and wrong, and what you consider ethical.

And what might that connection be? Demonstrate the connection between your discussion with Batyah and religious beliefs.

Cunning Lunatic

The Legendary Guest
Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest

And what might that connection be? Demonstrate the connection between your discussion with Batyah and religious beliefs.

The OP asked about good and evil and morality, and how it differs from religion to religion. As morality is what I am discussing, from the standpoint of an atheist who doesn't register emotions or morality, I feel I present a somewhat rarer perspective. And since I cannot relate on the same level that you do, or trust my conscience to distinguish right from wrong, I am interested to learn how other religions gauge such things. It's an opportunity to fine tune my own perceptions. I'd say that has to do with both topics the op addressed, and since I am here to discuss and learn, rather than troll, I do not feel obliged to explain myself to you further.

Shameless Worshipper

8,400 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest
Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest

The OP asked about good and evil and morality, and how it differs from religion to religion. As morality is what I am discussing, from the standpoint of an atheist who doesn't register emotions or morality, I feel I present a somewhat rarer perspective. And since I cannot relate on the same level that you do, or trust my conscience to distinguish right from wrong, I am interested to learn how other religions gauge such things. It's an opportunity to fine tune my own perceptions. I'd say that has to do with both topics the op addressed, and since I am here to discuss and learn, rather than troll, I do not feel obliged to explain myself to you further.
I apologize if I trigered a negative discussion. But now im curious to see the world from your perspective. Please do go on .*sits and sips some tea*

Cunning Lunatic

Batyah
I apologize if I trigered a negative discussion. But now im curious to see the world from your perspective. Please do go on .*sits and sips some tea*

I'd rather not stir up drama. As I've only recently returned to the ED after a long hiatus, and I see this person around policing various threads as though they have some authority, I'll leave it there. I'm not comfortable going into much more detail in a public forum as it is. Thank you though, for hearing me out.

Shameless Worshipper

8,400 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Terrapin On Down
Batyah

I'd rather not stir up drama. As I've only recently returned to the ED after a long hiatus, and I see this person around policing various threads as though they have some authority, I'll leave it there. I'm not comfortable going into much more detail in a public forum as it is. Thank you though, for hearing me out.
fell free to pm me if it makes you feel more comfortable. I have speratic free time and love conversation during such.

Floppy Member

Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest
Terrapin On Down
The Legendary Guest

The OP asked about good and evil and morality, and how it differs from religion to religion.

Yes, I realize this.

Quote:
As morality is what I am discussing, from the standpoint of an atheist who doesn't register emotions or morality, I feel I present a somewhat rarer perspective.

I don't understand. What does this perspective have to offer in terms of morality with respect to religion? Explain.

Quote:
And since I cannot relate on the same level that you do, or trust my conscience to distinguish right from wrong, I am interested to learn how other religions gauge such things.

I don't see how my ability to "relate" on any level even factors into it, to be honest. Explain.

Quote:
It's an opportunity to fine tune my own perceptions.

What perceptions might those be, considering you claim not to register emotions or "morality"?

Quote:
I'd say that has to do with both topics the op addressed, and since I am here to discuss and learn, rather than troll, I do not feel obliged to explain myself to you further.

I find it peculiar that you seem defensive with respect to the notion of trolling. I never brought that up. What makes you bring up the subject of trolling when it has not been mentioned? And of course, what does this have to do with the topic.

Cunning Lunatic

Batyah
Terrapin On Down
Batyah

fell free to pm me if it makes you feel more comfortable. I have speratic free time and love conversation during such.

I think that I answered your question sufficiently. If you have other specific inquiries you're welcome to PM me, but I don't need to expound upon my condition for no other purpose than myself talk, as it were.

Cunning Lunatic

TLG, I mention trolling to point out that I was being very civil and partaking in a conversation which was, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, related to the original theme of the thread. I was not trolling, flaming, or derailing the thread, so I do not feel you have a right to attack me in, what reads to me, as a snarky or passive aggressive manner.

As I said, I do not feel the need nor desire to defend myself to you, so I am not going to address your other points. Please recognize the fact that I am being respectful and am probably one of the least of the offenders in the ED and leave off this unnecessary chiding.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff