Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Your opinion?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 31, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6

Kuschelfloh
When books like "His Dark Materials" or "The daVinci Code" become very popular religous groups start campaigns against those books and make sure their youth does not read them. They say those books are full of wrong ideas and will make them stray from the rightous paths and stuff like that.

Now I wonder. A person who is a strong believer of his/her religion should not be influenced by a mere book. Why would they even read a book like that? Unless they have doubts and are interested in alternatives? Don't those leaders advertise those books extra much and make people evenmore interested if they say it's all bad and evil? I don't understand what the point is and most of all does it justify censorship?

Does anyone remember the commotion Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings caused in religous parts of the US? And those aren't even about the church and stuff. That was only because there are orgs and wizards involved... stare

I have to agree with that. But that reminds me that, did you know they made a play out of His Dark Materials? I heard it was amazing. It's playing in London until April. I wish I could see that.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, I think if it causes problems among their religions they can censor all they want, so long as they don't touch the original, and don't impose it on everyone else. If someone wants to stop their kid from reading a book, let them. Its their choice. So long as they don't make them reprint every single copy in the world, I have no problem with it.

But the DaVinci code is a very controversial book, and I can understand why people would rethink their religious beliefs after reading it, since it does uncover some facts about the past of the Church. But I think it's stupid to try to cover it up.
Tamfict23

But the DaVinci code is a very controversial book, and I can understand why people would rethink their religious beliefs after reading it, since it does uncover some facts about the past of the Church. But I think it's stupid to try to cover it up.
Nah the Da Vinci Code is fiction. Poorly researched fiction put into a poorly written story that was plagarized.
DrCelo
Sir Beaumont

True, one has a right to protest a book if they want. It is different, however, if a group of people in a society ban a book and then find as many copies as they can to burn. There is nothing wrong with protesting. Hell, I think it is a great idea. Keeping others from reading a book because you disagree, however, is not cool.

Actually, it isnt wrong, it is just (extremelly) prepostoreous. if society agree any of those specific groups have a right to ban a book, than it is right for them to ban it. As society doesnt actually give such right to them, their burning of books is just a loud protest, and anything beyond it is just wishful thinking on their part.

I never said that it was wrong to burn books. I just said it wasn't cool. If an entire society agrees to ban a book from that society, I suppose that is different. What I said, however, is when a small group of people decide to ban a book for an entire society.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff