Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which do you prefer?

RO 0.89230769230769 89.2% [ 116 ]
MS 0.10769230769231 10.8% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 130 ]
1 2 3 4 >

There seem to be some similarities between the two. Sure, they're both MMORPGs, but the poporing and green blob thingy look similar (ahem, you can tell I haven't played MS), as well as spores and those mushroom thingies. What do you think of this?
Blobs are common monsters in Asian RPGs. D: They have Slimes in Dragon Quest. u_u There're probably other blob monsters as well. o:

I think making monsters out of completely harmless things [...well, for the most part. Poison mushrooms are probably a tad harmful. ;P] is something that's common. o:

But uh... They're both okay. D: The... experience curve's kinda funky for MS if I remember correctly. xD; It's... just hard to level in that game in my opinion. D: And it doesn't help that the attack button mashing'll give you carpal tunnel. xD;

But.. duuh... actually, I think RO's... probably better? xD; It's not as confusing in my opinion. D: Like, with all the buttons and etc? And there aren't so many people that your pleas for help'll get ignored. ;o;

...butyeah. D: The graphics art style for MS is cool though. :D
x3; The first time I saw MS I thought they copied RO. xDD
RO has more stuff to do... MS isnt that big at all.. in fact its pretty short (lvl 99 in a month) where as it took me almsot a year to get to lvl 99 in RO! (am i slow?) MS is fun if you dont have a lot of time to play, or want better english in your game! :p
Crazy Knife Bap
Blobs are common monsters in Asian RPGs. D: They have blue Porings in Dragon Quest. u_u There're probably other Poring family monsters as well. o:

Fix'D to suit the sub-forum you're in~
the fact is Ro doesnt get as boring as maplestory does and Ragnarok online has more to offer
Heh i remember playing RO more(had an Assassin and Everything ;p) than i did with Maple Story(got bored after 20 minutes)

I guess RO is more fun for some reason,it all seemed so Slow in MS =/

1,750 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
maple story is only a small dinky lil story.. the end!?!!

RO ftw =) twisted

Dangerous Lunatic

Salict
RO has more stuff to do... MS isnt that big at all.. in fact its pretty short (lvl 99 in a month) where as it took me almsot a year to get to lvl 99 in RO! (am i slow?) MS is fun if you dont have a lot of time to play, or want better english in your game! :p

The max lv in MS is 200 last I heard. MS isn't exactly hard, more then it is boring and slow to lv up.

I prefer RO way more then I ever will for MS. The best thing about MS is that it's free, thats about all I think.

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
Dragei
Crazy Knife Bap
Blobs are common monsters in Asian RPGs. D: They have blue Porings in Dragon Quest. u_u There're probably other Poring family monsters as well. o:

Fix'D to suit the sub-forum you're in~

XD Not really because "Slime" is actually what the blob monsters are called in Dragon Quest. They're kind of just popular in general to have some kind of a blob, jelly, gelatin, slime, pile of goop or what have you monster.

I think MS calls them Bubblings? Final Fantasy series has something similar too, only I think Flan/Purin are a lot uglier. I think they're also a little harder too. It seems kind of common to have a cuter monster be the pansy thing you fight at the beginning.

MS though doesn't really seem that similar to RO in my opinion, but then for me it just might be lately I've been checking out several MMOs. There's a lot of similarities amongst many MMOs and many of them also come from the same country, so there are certain similarities that are bound to happen. I think I would try playing more of them before making such a bold statement and saying one copied another.

A lot closer in similarity I would think would be either NoSTale or Trickster in interface, cuteness, and art. Trickster's targetting though is *really* annoying sometimes. Everytime I try to target someone to heal, it makes me miss how easy it is to just click someone with that loop in RO.

NoSTale and Trickster are also both free if you want to check them out though and see what I mean. I think though if you play more, you start to realize what's actually "copying" and what's just a common trend amongst MMOs.

These cute type ones are also distinctively different than more realistic 3D based ones like Final Fantasy XI, Silk Road Online, KAL Online, CABAL Online, Sky Blade, etc. These types in my experiences seem to be a lot more quest/event based (probably because they want to FMV the hell out of your graphics) and less screwing around and leveling, however you want. Just about all games though require you to do some homework and try to decide what kind of a build you want so that you don't shoot yourself in the foot later.

Most of what I mentioned though are free or have betas soon or something and you can look here: http://www.gamengame.com if you kind of want to check them out to compare to RO. It's a fairly convenient all-in-one service that a friend directed me to.

I really think though that RO is far more entertaining than any other MMO I've played. Somehow the classes, combination of skills, non-mandatory quests (which are fun to do anyway), MVPing, my guild and other things in RO just seem to be far more fascinating than anything the other games have to offer me.
^I know what they're called and such, I just did that as a joke. But not like it matters, anyways.
*shakes head* RO hands down. the -only- two good things i can say about MS is that

1) "free". unless you want something from that cash shop

2) the avatar changes with the equip you have on (reference to the clothes and shoes)

aside from that, it was just really boring and confusing. not to mention the lack of a type of vending system RO has (since i make use of that a -lot-). sure the background around the magician town was pretty good but i saw that scenery map just before thanatos and that was waaaay better.

the lvling with MS is far too set in stone. i mean, at a certain lvl its like you -have- to fight a specific monster in order to get decent exp. lol and once again, rogues get screwed over -again- in comparison to the other classes
I find that MS is full of idiots , reason why I'd prefer RO.

Like:

"PQ@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PQ@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PQ@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and the repeated spamming of the word "party" to you

And I don't think I find people in Trickster much better since quite a lot of Maplestory players are also attracted to Trickster. Not to mention the lag was extremely horrible during the first few days of trying to play it.

But still dislike both all the same.

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
XD I like the fact that in Trickster I can set the interface to auto-deny party invites. So basically I'm like "Pfft. Unless I personally know you already, I'd rather solo." It's cute for what it is, but I also kind of wish there was more animal choices rather than what's available. Not that it's bad to be a sheep or anything, but it kind of makes me sad that the species are so hard set at least until level 20 when you can take off the horns and stuff. I think NoSTale has auto-deny in it too. o.oa That or KAL. Everything's blurring for me now.

Trickster's lag is nothing compared to NoSTale being down a few days and log in being blocked and stuff though. O_o

Generally though, I've come to think that most of the annoying players in any of the games though tend to be amongst the "newer" group. Once you get into higher levels it's *somewhat* less of a problem. Not that even RO that there aren't some problematic players that probably botted their way to 99 or are just generally jackasses that don't exist, but it seems like less people that have poor manners exist when you're hanging out mostly with other high level people since you start ending up with a demographic of people that put more actual effort into it. So honestly I think that a lot of those annoying players that play MS that were also attracted to Trickster were probably also attracted to FlyFF and ROSE. No matter which game I play, I have similar issues in the lower level areas. This weekend I recently made a TaeKwon on RO for fun and experimentation with the class and going to some lower level fields still gives me about the same experience. When I get tired of putting up with it, I just change characters and go back on my higher level characters to hang out with my friends. It's just with MS, Trickster, Nostale, and other games I'm playing around with, I'm just as new as all those other people, so I have nowhere to run.
Errrm...Off topic buut...

Yilei
XD I like the fact that in Trickster I can set the interface to auto-deny party invites. So basically I'm like "Pfft. Unless I personally know you already, I'd rather solo."

I heard soloing is hard in Trickster later on and I'm not the kind of person who likes to party with anyone, I never got very far playing to really find out if it's like that.

Quote:
but it seems like less people that have poor manners exist when you're hanging out mostly with other high level people since you start ending up with a demographic of people that put more actual effort into it.

I've gotten used to both kinds of people (I actually never typed out my words and used "u", "cya", "4" a looong time ago) and being one myself ages ago, gotten used to hearing both. Though I still have no tolerance for people who beg and try to force parties.

Also, the fact that this is an RO subforum, you'd always get more "I like Ragnarok than Maplestory" from the poll (except the poll whores that screw it up). That's the reason why we're here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff