Welcome to Gaia! ::

Any bands you love that nobody else you know has ever seemed to hear of? You know, the kinds you find in the "weird" part of Youtube?
Metallica is so good

Shirtless Seeker

not metal but no music is more "weird part of YouTube" than Hedy Lamarsbartenderizer

4,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Borrowed Time, Ravage, Seax, Battle Beast, Possessor, Faikra, Argonaut, Valhalla, Vindicator, Cryonic Temple, Testimony, Iron Will and my personal favorite: Lords of the Trident I have a bunch of stuff no one really knows these are just what I thought of off the top of my head.

Magical Shoujo

the mere idea of hipsterism (lets not even delve into the topic of its reality or not) driving people to seek things that are under the radar for the sake of their unknown quality means that people will inevitiably think things are good that are actually no ******** good at all, just because nobody knows them.

Shirtless Seeker

Nasty Mayors Daughter
the mere idea of hipsterism (lets not even delve into the topic of its reality or not) driving people to seek things that are under the radar for the sake of their unknown quality means that people will inevitiably think things are good that are actually no ******** good at all, just because nobody knows them.

Nobody knows Exorelations.
Nobody likes Exorelations.
I wanna play shows but nobody would go to them.

Magical Shoujo

Nasty Mayors Daughter

It's a weird phenomenon. I can kind of understand the appeal of enjoying a lesser known band, considering the way people stake their identity in the music they listen to. It's a matter of feeling unique.

What's interesting to me is the idea of a musical "canon." That's not to say that some bands and records that are considered canonical aren't excellent or aren't worth listening to, but hipster culture seems to follow two extremes: Either the canon is way overemphasized and becomes this point of worship and untouchability, or they choose to deliberately break the canon and seek out ultra-obscure sounds as if they're somehow more authentic. Realistically, there needs to be some kind of middle ground.

Magical Shoujo

i have an idealization of the artist as creator, and search for the same kind of fire and passion to produce art in any media i like to consume. so its natural for me to dislike many more popular things simply by the nature of mass appeal leaning towards reduced artistic integrety. but it can go both ways, just because something is super niche and the person making it is ******** insane about it doesnt make it good.

case in point, theres a band Sun Devoured Earth, kinda typical SDBM stuff. The dude is fairly prolific for a one-man projects, before I deleted it I had like 12 friggen albums by the guy, theres no denying he has passion. But I deleted everything except for one album because the other albums i listened to didnt match up and despite the artist caring about his work immensely and being driven to create, it still just wasnt right.

so theres indefinable nuance that makes what is good "good", and that can be found at both ends of common spectrums to place media in ("known or unknown" "prolific or short-lived" etc)

Shirtless Seeker

i bet you've never heard of megadeth, they're a really underground local band you probably havnt hrd oftthem........................
Nasty Mayors Daughter
i have an idealization of the artist as creator, and search for the same kind of fire and passion to produce art in any media i like to consume. so its natural for me to dislike many more popular things simply by the nature of mass appeal leaning towards reduced artistic integrety. but it can go both ways, just because something is super niche and the person making it is ******** insane about it doesnt make it good.

case in point, theres a band Sun Devoured Earth, kinda typical SDBM stuff. The dude is fairly prolific for a one-man projects, before I deleted it I had like 12 friggen albums by the guy, theres no denying he has passion. But I deleted everything except for one album because the other albums i listened to didnt match up and despite the artist caring about his work immensely and being driven to create, it still just wasnt right.

so theres indefinable nuance that makes what is good "good", and that can be found at both ends of common spectrums to place media in ("known or unknown" "prolific or short-lived" etc)

I think we're on the same page. But my point about canon doesn't have to apply to bands that are conventionally mainstream either. If you're going to get into black metal, you should just listen to Burzum and Darkthrone and be done with it. And the same thing applies within a prolific artist's discography. Just because you listened to Scott 3 and 4 doesn't mean you don't still have to listen to Til the Band Comes In. Because you still have to. You're under orders.

Newbie Noob

Versatile Explorer

Mahou Shoujou Satan-chan

Oh god ******** you, I was thinking about following up with another Tyga song but ******** that. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff