Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

Is the Island Eden? It would explain the healing quality of the island and of course, explain why people are so drawn to it and feel such a connection to it all, linking them, the island and Jacob because it is where everything first began and the first human wrong-doings originate from.

And because of this, it would no longer be the paradise explained in the bible, because of the Original Sin and therefore that would explain why so much pain and anguish now exist there and why it's seen as a prison, rather than a delight, to most characters.

I love the theory that MIB is Satan, still trapped within Eden since the Original Sin and wishes to get out and ruin humanity. Perhaps Jacob is cherubim which was placed in Eden by God after Satan corrupted Adam and Eve, to prevent further trouble and perhaps that is the position that needs to be replaced by the right candidate?
The position wouldn't mean redeeming human sins, but simply to stop the worst of all evils getting out into the world and wreaking havoc.

Some relating tidbits I thought up and don't know how to include in my point ::

• When Ben said "I'm going back to Locke, he's the only one that'll have me" made me think of Satan. Who else will take you once you've fallen from grace? It's a very Satan-like idea of MIB's position and how they see him.
When people lose faith, they seem to turn to MIB, and that's when they lose everything, which is pretty much how Satan is depicted throughout the Bible and that you could hold out until God comes back to you ("have faith" basically).

• The Adam/Eve skeletons is a compelling and powerful representative. I don't think it will be the skeletons of Adam and Eve, but the fact that those are clearly people they could know, it seems far too much of a powerful image to have just been thrown in there for dramatic effect. Perhaps it will be two of the characters who will be in the same position as Adam and Eve at some point.

• The fact it was described as the "cork of hell", well, Eden was the place sin originated from, therefore, it was where Hell would begin for humanity in that respect? Where it all started.

• Seeing as Eden was directly created from God's hand, it would make sense that it may be able to shift through time. Or at least the power left resonating there would give the ability to travel through time. I mean, c'mon even where you have to go to get to where you can move through time is even specifically laid out like a garden (symbolism referring to Eden/fertile ground/beginning/growth.)

• Just generally all the references to biblical things, including the "last supper" image. It would all seem pointless to use such iconic imagery and mention of Hell/Adam/Eve etc if it doesn't relate to anything in the end.

• Perhaps eradicating the island will erase original sin and/or Satan

IDK
I don't know. I'd like it to refer to Eden so much ;_____;
I really like biblical stuff and --- and I think it'd be a nice thought.
Sorry my theories are all amess. Whatever.

PLEASE DISCUSS THIS WITH ME! gonk

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
A metaphorical Eden, in part? Sure. It already is.

Literally Eden? I don't think that will happen.

Lost has a plethora of religious references...of all sorts of religions. They won't limit the show to being about just one belief.

Liberal Citizen

6,550 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
Best theory I've heard
wakusei
A metaphorical Eden, in part? Sure. It already is.

Literally Eden? I don't think that will happen.

Lost has a plethora of religious references...of all sorts of religions. They won't limit the show to being about just one belief.
User Image

Literal Eden is not centered simply around Christian faith. It is also Catholic/Hebrew and (I think) Islamic. It's just slightly different.
Still follows the same basis, however.
Basically a place where God focused on making and was connected to.

It's the home of the fall of man, basically.
jrduly
Best theory I've heard
User Image

Thank youuu~ User Image

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
MistressVoldemort

Literal Eden is not centered simply around Christian faith. It is also Catholic/Hebrew and (I think) Islamic. It's just slightly different.

Catholicism is a Christian faith....

Christianity isn't a religion, but simply belief that Jesus is the son of God and all that goes with that.

Nevertheless, there are other religions that aren't based from the Old Testament/Torah/Koran/whathaveyou. Polytheistic beliefs have been featured on Lost as well (Egyptian gods most notably), and they are minus the Eden story.

The Island can and does represent more than just Eden. It's a world between worlds that you can find in a number of religious beliefs and works of literature. All of which are mentioned or shown regularly on the show itself.
wakusei
MistressVoldemort

Catholicism is a Christian faith....

Christianity isn't a religion, but simply belief that Jesus is the son of God and all that goes with that.

Nevertheless, there are other religions that aren't based from the Old Testament/Torah/Koran/whathaveyou. Polytheistic beliefs have been featured on Lost as well (Egyptian gods most notably), and they are minus the Eden story.

The Island can and does represent more than just Eden. It's a world between worlds that you can find in a number of religious beliefs and works of literature. All of which are mentioned or shown regularly on the show itself.

User Image

Christianity is a religion. . . User Image

There has been presence of Egyptian mythology however not in the same context. Sobek is used notably, and he is a creator god. It would seem it symbolises the place where all was created, alike to Eden, as he was prayed to as a creator god.
He is also known to eat souls of the damned. . . though that would imply the island as being a hellish place?

It's obvious that there would be a lot of religious subject matter as the series focuses on the human condition and our whole existence is about finding out our reason for being, it just seems there is so much of it that it would be a shame to dismiss it.

I like the idea that Egyptian references are used to symbolise the presence of Jacob (who in the Bible, settled in Egypt) and to show how truly ancient the island is. I don't think they are using Egyptian myth as a reference to what the island actually is. Though, who knows?
User Image

Anyone?
No one have any input at all?
I have always had the impression that it's just...archetypal.

Good vs. Evil, Black vs. White, Osiris vs. Set, God vs. Devil, etc.

There are many parallels between Eden and the Island. We've witnessed the corruptive powers/ powers of temptation of the Man in Black.

Just because Jacob's name is Jacob doesn't necessarily make him the biblical Jacob, nor does it make the other man Esau (this doesn't have much to do with the discussion at hand, really, but I'd just like to put it out there while we're on the topic on Christianity and biblical references) - regardless, there are so many similarities, but like I mentioned before - it's probably just archetypal.
If I may be so bold I must go against your theory. I suppose I'm going into this with out all of the info needed I oly saw half of yesterdays episode but I think I saw enough. I don't think the Ilsand is Eden. I feel like the story people (obviusly) in going with the way the story is told and the way things have gone with anybody getting to the island, I believe Jacobe and Lock (I like to idetifie him as that) where once humen and some how they eneded up on the island just like every one else. They must have found some kind of power that changed them I don't know what. I think Lock did something or thought something that scared Jacobe enough to trape him on the island for 1,000s of years.

Also if any of this is spelled wrong, I'm not a really good speller.
I think what Wakusei was referring to is that there are different denominations within Christianity. Christianity can be divided into Catholicism and Protestantism, and Protestants can be divided into Baptists, Methodists, and so on. Despite this, they all fall under Christianity and are treated as one religion.

Having said that, there have also been many Buddhist references on the show. Buddhism also has different sects or schools. From the little I know of Buddhism, it's essentially an atheistic religion and doesn't really concern itself with the origin of life. Certain concepts in Buddhism are also related to concepts in Hinduism. These are quite different from Christianity.

Many religions use symbols such as white and black, hell and heaven (I've read that some Buddhist sects believe in a temporary heaven or hell where you remain for some time before being reborn again - in Tibetan Buddhism, black and white stones represent your good and bad deeds), and so on. Like Agneau said, it's archetypal.

I think it would be unfair and a little bit unoriginal to use Christianity as the sole inspiration for the Island. I can see it being a metaphorical Eden, but I can't see it being the literal Eden.

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
i stole your pants
I think what Wakusei was referring to is that there are different denominations within Christianity. Christianity can be divided into Catholicism and Protestantism, and Protestants can be divided into Baptists, Methodists, and so on. Despite this, they all fall under Christianity and are treated as one religion.

Having said that, there have also been many Buddhist references on the show. Buddhism also has different sects or schools. From the little I know of Buddhism, it's essentially an atheistic religion and doesn't really concern itself with the origin of life. Certain concepts in Buddhism are also related to concepts in Hinduism. These are quite different from Christianity.

Many religions use symbols such as white and black, hell and heaven (I've read that some Buddhist sects believe in a temporary heaven or hell where you remain for some time before being reborn again - in Tibetan Buddhism, black and white stones represent your good and bad deeds), and so on. Like Agneau said, it's archetypal.

I think it would be unfair and a little bit unoriginal to use Christianity as the sole inspiration for the Island. I can see it being a metaphorical Eden, but I can't see it being the literal Eden.

Yes, exactly. I agree!

Also, the statue is of Tawaret, not Sobek. Despite looking more like a male.

Omnipresent Elder

13,875 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
(Firstly, when the HELL did you get into Lost?! You used to hate it!)

I like the theory, I do. And you explain it very well.
My issue is that they've tried to steer clear of coming down on one specific religion. As the others have said (oh the lulz I get from that) the show does portray a multitude of other religions and deities.
I remember reading something back when we first met Jacob and the MIB and it basically said, even if they were the Jacob and Esau from the Bible, the creators would never specifically say that they were because of the shows ambiguity.

And Damon and Carlton have indeed confirmed that the statue is Tawaret, Goddess of Fertility and quite possibly connected to the reason why pregnant women keep dying?
this sorta makes sense in how its quite hard to find.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff