Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distrustful Seeker

I'm still working on completing my first outfit...
That stuff's expensive. v.v;

Profitable Businessman

Ethel Sanguis
It's so lovely to read everyone's stories!

I mostly wear aristocrat or casual lolita coords, but I still get the weird looks and the 'it's not halloween yet!' comments. No one has really bothered me though.

My fondest lolita-esque memory is of this august when I went picnicking with my boyfriend and another friend (both completely normally dressed). Apparently this little girl who was walking through the park with her parents kept staring and asked her parents whether I was a princess. I didn't see or hear any of it, but I suddenly heard my boyfriend shout out: "yes, she's a real princess!". And all of that just totally made my day heart (Sadly I spilled wine over my dress 15 minutes later xd )

What's the appropriate reaction to being asked if you're a princess?
I haven't figured it out yet, because I really want to say yes but also don't want the parents thinking I'm a creep or something like that.

A little boy grabbed my hand once and refused to let go, then started crying when his parents pried him off me. It was cute and I had to try really hard not to giggle.
Vinushka
Maaan... I'm so jealous of you people!

In the country I live, sadly, I don't get to wear lolita clothing too much, because, well, they're all too "closed minded" so to speak, if someone goes off the canon they have, it's just ridiculous and weird, or a costume, you get to make fun of, and well, it is also an insecure country, might get robbed as well if you stand out too much.

For me, it is seriously sad, it only gets that I go out wearing a skirt to have men telling me nasty and gross things, I guess you could compare most of people in here with "ganstas, yolos or swaggers" , also, having dumb girls making fun of me, even sometime people I know, trying to be "polite" but still mocking the way I dress.

Fortunately, I don't go out much, I work across the street and people around me are already used to how I dress, they give me compliments sometimes about the laces and ribbons.

Also, I'm moving to another country, so, yeah emotion_awesome

I feel the same way I wore black lipstick once and I heard so many wtf are you wearing's it was so funny but hurtfull but Idc I'm still gonna do it I can't stand closed minded people 😉But I am so jealous to I'd love to dress like a lolita

Lonely Phantom

I have had a variety of hilarious experiences while wearing lolita out and about.

Many years ago (probably 2005 or 2006, when I was just getting in to the fashion) I was at a Christmas meetup where we went ice skating at the mall. While we were on the ice, a few of us were holding hands to steady ourselves, but one of the attendants came to tell us that we could only hold hands in groups of two (I guess to prevent games of crack the whip etc.). We apologized and then he asked us if we were Amish. XD

Last year I went to a Chicago meet (although at the time I was living in Indiana) and since I and my companion arrived VERY early for the event, we decided to stroll through Chinatown. There's a firehouse there that faces the street and while we were at the crosswalk one of the firemen stopped to ask us for a photo. We obliged and got a photo for ourselves. (I declared the meetup "won" at that point.) He asked where we were from, and when we answered "Indiana" he laughed and jokingly answered, "Oh, well, that explains it."

These days, I live in Austin, and honestly people rarely bat an eyelash. (This is a town full of people with tattoos, piercings, crazy colored hair etc. A frilly dress is barely worth noticing.) However I have had a few fun experiences.

On Valentine's day, I donned a candy heart skirt of my own making and went out for a walk and some lunch. I got stopped twice that day. Once by a guy who stopped his car as I was going across a crosswalk so he could ask for my photo (I feel awkward making a snap judgement about the guy, but he looked like he could easily be in some kind of artsy/design oriented job). The second time was by an older lady, probably in her 50's who talked to me about how much she liked my outfit, and then about Austin in general and how she lives in a house full of hippies and quite a bit of her life story. XD She also gave me a Disney Princess valentine she had in her purse.

Another day I was out walking and buying craft supplies, and a young woman leaned out of her car window to yell, "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!" which was really sweet. <3

So yeah, sometimes lolita experiences are great fun!

Exhibitionist

Midsummer Rose

Trying not to page hog by quoting those pictures. But anyways, just wanted to say hello, you are a very gorgeous young lady. yum_tea

And now that, that creepery is over, please keep the stories coming, folks. I'm afraid I have none of my own, unless you count a friend trying to pull my top hat off and finding with surprise that it was pinned and I had to yelp in pain for him to let it go so that it flopped to the side, further pulling my hair. Ingrate. But he meant well, in his "wtf" way.

These tales are really amusing.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
Robo-Dream
he asked us if we were Amish. XD

What? xd Lolita is like, the opposite of Amish! rofl

Lonely Phantom

Eruravenne
Robo-Dream
he asked us if we were Amish. XD

What? xd Lolita is like, the opposite of Amish! rofl

Well, admittedly I was wearing a country dress and my friend was wearing a plain purple OP she had made out of velvet. So I can see where the connection might have come from.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
Robo-Dream
Well, admittedly I was wearing a country dress and my friend was wearing a plain purple OP she had made out of velvet. So I can see where the connection might have come from.

That does make a little more sense, heheh.
I love reading all of your stories, everyone! smile
Almond Milks

I haven't figured it out yet, because I really want to say yes but also don't want the parents thinking I'm a creep or something like that.

I'm not sure, so I was kind of relieved I didn't have to answer that question myself xD
Maybe it would be safest to say you're practising to become one. It would explain why you would dress that way without downright lying about who/what you are and the kid can go on dreaming about becoming a princess. Everybody happy wink (Plus it's not so far from the truth anyway sweatdrop )

Genius

well, i did try a mild form of lolita and got asked if i dressed like that to attract married men. so basically I got accused of solicitation. I wasn't wearing a short dress or high heels, so to me it was a moment of rage because i told the woman who asked me that "oh, well then maybe I know your husband, whats his name again?"

Exhibitionist

Ethel Sanguis
Almond Milks

I'm not sure, so I was kind of relieved I didn't have to answer that question myself xD
Maybe it would be safest to say you're practising to become one. It would explain why you would dress that way without downright lying about who/what you are and the kid can go on dreaming about becoming a princess. Everybody happy wink (Plus it's not so far from the truth anyway sweatdrop )

Obviously I've never been in a similar situation myself, but I think a very nice answer would be something along the lines of:
"Yep, I'm a princess because you don't need to be royalty to be whatever you want." Simple, in terms a child could understand and perhaps even stick in their head a while.
homo ch r o m a t i c - -

Trying not to page hog by quoting those pictures. But anyways, just wanted to say hello, you are a very gorgeous young lady. yum_tea

And now that, that creepery is over, please keep the stories coming, folks. I'm afraid I have none of my own, unless you count a friend trying to pull my top hat off and finding with surprise that it was pinned and I had to yelp in pain for him to let it go so that it flopped to the side, further pulling my hair. Ingrate. But he meant well, in his "wtf" way.

These tales are really amusing.

Haha, thanks. ...I'm afraid I'm pretty awkward with receiving compliments, though. sweatdrop

Profitable Businessman

Ethel Sanguis
Almond Milks

Oh that actually sounds perfect, I'm going to remember that line!

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
No More Dead Daves
I used to get a lot of compliments. And then people realized I was a guy and were like "oh B["

On a somewhat related note, I've had a bald man ask me where I buy my hair dye.

hey yo
i've been trying to find boy lolita outfits but to no avail!!!

do you do the kodona or dandy things? ;o; im hoping a fellow male lolita will help me out here!
thanks and happy stylings razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces