Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
You don't know their individual stories. You don't know what they go through on a daily basis. You have no right to judge because you have absolutely no idea what is going on on their lives. You lack more testicles than they do because you're making up all these assumptions without having a single idea what they are going through.

Maybe you've been bullied. If so, I'm sorry. But maybe your bullying wasn't as significant or traumatizing as others. My brothers were bullied, one even had to quit school and get his GED. Fighting back? Really? Has that actually worked for you? If you say yes, you're a liar or part of a very small percentage of people that had a single bully. That is not the case for most people. For most, bullying is widescale. It's many people and fighting back only makes things worse. Some kids end up killing themselves and let me tell you something about suicide as a survivor of an attempt myself:

People will run their mouths and say it's a cop out, that it's cowardly, but it takes more strength than any of you can really imagine because deep at the root of our souls, we don't want to die. No one wants to die. Dying is terrifying.

So for any person to feel bullied to the point that they are considering taking their own life, it's pretty damn bad. Worse than anything you can even possibly fathom. In fact, take the worst thing you can possibly fathom and multiply it infinitely and maybe you'll have an inkling of what someone else may be going through.
Bullying is hectic.

Magical Tree

Yeah, it's like no one in America has balls anymore.

It doesn't help we coddle children.

I mean - bullying here in Asia is on a whole other level. "Wangda" in Korean means "king of (being) hit" - in a class of students, the wangda is the one to get hit for any and all reasons. They will be excluded, pushed out, ignored, or beaten; they'll say bad things to and about the wangda - and the whole class will do this to the one person. They are utterly alone.

I also have to wonder if the anti-bully thing became trendy on the coat-tails of the gay rights movement. This is because often gays will be bullied.
Wow you morons are interpreting a sociological observation into condemnation for bullying. This person is asking about the "all of a sudden" part, and not the "big deal" part. Obviously bullying sucks, but again, you morons, it's about the change of perspective from back when bullying was just a thing instead of the "big deal" it is now. Again, they're remarking upon the difference of times, they're not saying "BULLIES ROCK!" you ******** idiots.

To respond to your inquiry coherently...

I strongly believe that the increased opposition towards bullying is due to a trend that we've been seeing since the start of the 21st century where Americans feel the need to get offended by anything they can. You see, Americans do not want to believe that they are statistics, they are brought up to believe they are privileged in a "free" country; a righteous nation that dominates the world. These statistics or "Americans" have a natural tendency to be narcissists in this way. There used to be a time where greed was stupid and irrational, nowadays greed is considered to be smart and logical. Through this dependency for specialization and significance, Americans need to feel like they are the center of attention by emphasizing conflict even where it is not needed. That is why people in general (but mostly Americans) feel offended by things they aren't actually offended by, or things that aren't even offensive at all. Like if a girl flips out at the word "b***h" even if you're using it to refer to a female dog, or if at any given moment somebody combines the two words "you people" there will always be that one person that has to speak up and ask what you mean by that.

You use the term "sob story" and you make a great point. It's through this desperation to feel special that people need to make themselves out to be victims in order to feel important or significant in this world. They need to feel unique. Some people even self-diagnose themselves with anxiety, when in reality they just spend too much time on their cell phones and don't interact with the public. You're right. America does not have its testicles anymore. People are overly sensitive because their buttons are easily pushed because those buttons are the only things connecting any sort of "function" in their lives. They need alcohol to get loose, they need weed to laugh, they prefer taste over nutrition, they prefer birth control over abstinence, they prefer Facebook over exercise, they judge while whining about judging, and worst of all their only form of opposition to corruption is social media outlets. Other countries protest, riot, revolt, but here Americans just write angry comments on Facebook and cheer when it make a difference twice a year.

That's bullying has become such a big deal lately. That, and the increased publicity that social media allows... but it's also that social media that creates another opportunity for bullying. The realm of animosity reveals the ugly in people. People take advantage of that. America lives on the internet.

Another reason right there. America lives on the internet. Bullies are people that primarily harass or dominate in real life, those who spend too much time away from real interactions do not have the skills to defend themselves. That's another reason bullying might be growing. It's easy to sit behind a computer and argue, but only bullies survive the REAL fights since the "all talk"ers have nothing going for them in the REAL world. You know what I mean? Before, the only victims of bullying were these frail weaklings, now it can be virtually anyone who isn't entirely down-to-earth.

Hope that brought some insight to the topic.

Devoted Pawn

40,600 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Demonic Associate 100
Because standing up to bullies doesn't mean they will stop. Because some adults don't even provide real help until it's too late. Because even if they stop targeting one person that doesn't stop bullies from choosing someone else. Because bullies physically and mentally destroy those they deem weaker than them. Because bullies can even KILL, whether intentionally or not. And because people kill themselves to escape from such torment.

This topic. This [********] topic.

Devoted Heckler

The issue isn't "how acceptable bullying is" but what has caused young people today to resort to suicide so frequently.
Bullying hasn't suddenly gotten worse in the past few years as far as I'm aware. Perhaps it's easier to harrass someone through their social media but then there is blocking, reporting, or making your account private. So if bullying hasn't got worse then there is definitely something going on with the people who experience it.
There is a level of responsibility on bullying victims in how they deal with it, simply having had experienced bullying does not give a person carte blanche to act however they like. Part of growing up and maturing is learning how to deal with things which is why people bullied in the workplace don't act the same way as bullied children. These teens obviously do not have the coping skills they need if they resort to suicide. That isn't really their fault - it's society's fault. I'm not quite sure where we went wrong but there are plenty of candidates.
Idk, I don't pay attention to it because I find it an extremely boring and uninteresting topic.
klebold5
Wow you morons are interpreting a sociological observation into condemnation for bullying. This person is asking about the "all of a sudden" part, and not the "big deal" part. Obviously bullying sucks, but again, you morons, it's about the change of perspective from back when bullying was just a thing instead of the "big deal" it is now. Again, they're remarking upon the difference of times, they're not saying "BULLIES ROCK!" you ******** idiots.

I strongly believe that the increased opposition towards bullying is due to a trend that we've been seeing since the start of the 21st century where Americans feel the need to get offended by anything they can. You see, Americans do not want to believe that they are statistics, they are brought up to believe they are privileged in a "free" country; a righteous nation that dominates the world. These statistics or "Americans" have a natural tendency to be narcissists in this way. There used to be a time where greed was stupid and irrational, nowadays greed is considered to be smart and logical. Through this dependency for specialization and significance, Americans need to feel like they are the center of attention by emphasizing conflict even where it is not needed. That is why people in general (but mostly Americans) feel offended by things they aren't actually offended by, or things that aren't even offensive at all. Like if a girl flips out at the word "b***h" even if you're using it to refer to a female dog, or if at any given moment somebody combines the two words "you people" there will always be that one person that has to speak up and ask what you mean by that.

You use the term "sob story" and you make a great point. It's through this desperation to feel special that people need to make themselves out to be victims in order to feel important or significant in this world. They need to feel unique. Some people even self-diagnose themselves with anxiety, when in reality they just spend too much time on their cell phones and don't interact with the public. You're right. America does not have its testicles anymore. People are overly sensitive because their buttons are easily pushed because those buttons are the only things connecting any sort of "function" in their lives. They need alcohol to get loose, they need weed to laugh, they prefer taste over nutrition, they prefer birth control over abstinence, they prefer Facebook over exercise, they judge while whining about judging, and worst of all their only form of opposition to corruption is social media outlets. Other countries protest, riot, revolt, but here Americans just write angry comments on Facebook and cheer when it make a difference twice a year.

That's bullying has become such a big deal lately. That, and the increased publicity that social media allows... but it's also that social media that creates another opportunity for bullying. The realm of animosity reveals the ugly in people. People take advantage of that. America lives on the internet.

Another reason right there. America lives on the internet. Bullies are people that primarily harass or dominate in real life, those who spend too much time away from real interactions do not have the skills to defend themselves. That's another reason bullying might be growing. It's easy to sit behind a computer and argue, but only bullies survive the REAL fights since the "all talk"ers have nothing going for them in the REAL world. You know what I mean? Before, the only victims of bullying were these frail weaklings, now it can be virtually anyone who isn't entirely down-to-earth.

lol

Well at least I can be confident that at least one person in here has neither a chronic need to manipulate/twist people's words (something young female liberals have a PHD in) nor a person who lacks competent reading comprehension skills.

I tip my non-existent hat to you sir.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
You can't be ******** serious.... rolleyes

sexhale69
Anyway, for those kids who were severely bullied. . .why didn't you tell the teacher or your parent?[ ... ]you should tell your parents or even involve the police because then it would harassment

In my experiences, the teachers didn't do s**t. Not a damn thing. In most cases they just stood there and watched things go down, and the moment I did try to stand up for myself, it was me who was the one in trouble. And not everyone's parents are availble to go to for basic things let alone bullying.

Quote:
--- AND BOOM. . .problem solved. Nobody ever bothers you again. Problems like this can be solved with a quick punch to the face and a ******** you.

Do you really think it's that easy to end bullying? Because it's not. I went to a school where a lot of kids moved out of neighborhoods where gang violence was everywhere, so when they came to my neighborhood they brought this lifestyle of "if you come at me, I'm going to go back and get my entire family to ******** murder you" So no a punch to the face would make it worse.

Quote:
The problem about bullying is not the bully, it's the fact that kids refuse to stand up for themselves, and instead feel sorry for themselves.

Like I said before, the victim usually is the one who ends up in trouble, the bullying doesn't stop, which ends up discouraging them from doing anything because nothing works.

Enduring Phantom

klebold5

This.

And before y'all jump down my throat, yes I was teased/bullied as a kid. I was always the odd one out of my entire class, so inevitably I was the target. The second it got physical, however, I said '******** you' and I told the my parents and the teachers, and the problem was solved. Sure, the bullies made threats at whoever snitched (they had no idea it was me because my teachers were awesome and kept my involvement in their knowing a secret), but they never really did anything. And just like that, no one ever messed with me again. I wasn't the strongest kid by far, nor was I the best with words, but I knew how to play my cards right. Of course, the whole experience may have uncovered a bit of a sadistic streak, but other than that I think that it was a learning experience.

Chatty Smoker

MiameMiame
Ofcourse it's not the bullies fault that I felt miserable about myself and that I hated myself for a long time. The bully must have also had problems. I should have stood up for myself.

rolleyes Some people can not stand up for myself. Is it really too much to ask to stop people being dicks? Is mutual respect really something I have to ask?

This. I was, and still am, really sensitive. I couldn't argue back without crying because I'm so overly emotional. It kinda sucks. And of course, crying just makes it worse. Sometimes there's nothing you can do besides tell a teacher or trusted adult, and many a time I've seen a teacher sit back and do nothing while a kid was openly bullied in class. I think there should be more severe punishment for bullies, and teachers and school faculty should take it more seriously. Some other kids have mental illnesses and disabilities which makes it even harder for them to cope with it. "Have a backbone!" is easier said than done, because you can't just alter your personality and become a badass b***h, unfortunately.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Back in my day kids were taught to stand up for themselves, help each other out when they see someone being bullied, and not take s**t from anybody

Phantom

Because strangling a kid with ******** cable wire will stop if the kid just says "please stop". lol

Give me a break, teachers and schools don't do s**t. In fact if you retaliate once you're struck- you get in trouble too. I know this from experience. Throwing punches don't always end it either, although in my case it did make things a bit easier... but then again, this was a school with pansy-a** white kids who freaked out over scuffing their shoes and not the ghetto where your a** is guaranteed to get jumped if you stand up for yourself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff