Welcome to Gaia! ::

It all really depends on the person. I would like to take my boyfriend's last name.

Witty Autobiographer

I did it. I loved the idea of becoming one family unit. We discussed choosing a different name, but I like the idea of a family name with history. I also liked the thought that my maiden name was given to me, but I could choose to take on this name of the person I love.

I also happen to like his last name a lot better than my maiden name (sorry, dad). It flows a lot better, and I really enjoy saying it.

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
What's your opinion?
To each their own.
I personally was raised in a family where you take your husband's last name, so I will be doing so.
Besides, I have no attachment to my maiden name whatsoever.
I don't give two shits what others do.
If you're married, did you take your s.o's name or keep your own? Why?
Not married yet, but I'll be taking my husband's last name.
Reasons are in the answer above.
What do you think about the negativity towards those who keep their birth/maiden names after marriage?
I think it's pretty stupid.
I don't see how not taking your husband or wife's name affects anyone's lives.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
Do as you will. I'd keep mine. It just doesn't sound right using anyone else's last name.

Fluffy Wolf

I hate my last name, so I'm taking my boyfriend's last name whenever we get married. I think I'd take his name even if I liked my last name. It's just what I'd wanna do. Our kids will definitely have his last name. Like I said, mine is terrible.

Giver

I seriously hate my last name lol.

Though when my boyfriend and I get to that bridge I plan to take his last name. Even though he hates his name about as much as I hate mine haha. I love his though. Our kids will also take his last name. I'm very old fashioned gonk

About people who don't change their last name. Personally I never gave it a thought neutral . I figured it's their life, they can do whatever sort of thing.

Man-Hungry Abomination

I want to take my boyfriend's last name when we get married. To me, it kind of completes the package and makes it more meaningful. Plus, I don't like my last name, and I adore his super Hispanic name. Win-win.

But it's not legal here and we can't afford to travel or move states, so we don't have to worry about marriage right now anyway.

Dangerous Regular

8,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I plan on taking my SOs last name.

I like my last name, but I think I'd still change it once I got married . I might do what my mom did, and leave my maiden name for my voting registration or something like that . If I do end up marrying my boyfriend, I definitely wouldn't mind the change. It'd take some getting used to, and be slightly ironic . My first name, Meghan, is Irish, and I'm around 70% Irish ... My boyfriends last name is possibly English/British . The Irish hate the British .

Familiar Phantom

I told my boyfriend that I'd rather keep my last name, but we could always hyphenate it if that was better. I like my last name, it's unique.

I don't see why people get pissed off when they see someone who is married but didn't take their s/o last name. Dude, you don't have to live with it, get over it.

I had a friend who just got married about 2 years ago (I think) and they decided to change their last name completely, so they became their own family. (They both came from dysfunctional homes and decided to make a fresh start).
A lot of people are doing the double last name thing. I like my current boyfriends last name so I'd have no problem taking it if we got married.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I'm engaged and taking my fiance's last name when we marry.
It's not something we just took as a given, I thought a lot about it.
I would of kept my own name, but I literally do not like or want to associate myself with any member of that side of the family, so I literally have no attachment to the name.
Its a ridiculously common name in my home county too.

Double barreled names were not an option, I think they look really indecisive and a bit silly.
I like my last name, actually. Yeuh, kids made fun of it, but I felt it gave me character.

Nevertheless, if my future husband has an okay last name, I'm cool with taking it. My dad never seemed close to his family, he was adopted, and I have a brother anyway who can... "continue the family name".
My mom hypenated her last name. I think it looks silly and it causes problems on paperwork. My sister and I have mom's maiden name as our middle names and we have our dad's last name. I kinda dislike my last name, so I wouldn't mind taking my husband's name when I get married, but my boyfriend doesn't believe in marriage. emo

Magical Tree

I'm not traditional on this.

I really like my name, and I'm quite tempted to just keep it.

In South Korea, when a woman marries, her name does not change at all. In fact, they often don't even wear rings... It's hard to tell if someone is married or not. It's just safe to assume anyone over 30 (which means if they look like they're 21 or so) is married already. (i've never seen such a marriage obsessed people!) The kids take their dad's surname.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

I have two last names. It's not tradition to take a man's last name in my country, and my last name's pretty unique. The ******** would I take his last name anyway? Personally, it makes me feel like property. I don't like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff