Friendly Citizen

9,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
Sammiifayse
Pandella

Why are second babies bigger?

Mia was estimated to be only about six pounds but she came out 8lbs 7oz, hah!

The first baby does all the work stretching everything out. When the second baby comes along, the body already knows what it has to do, so it automatically stretches out to where the first baby got it to, so the second baby has more room from the very beginning, and then of course, they do their own stretching, so the next one is bigger again & so on.
Basically, they just teach your body where it's supposed to be, so it gets to that point faster.

Wow ;O;

Both amazing our bodies do that, and sad LOL. I got pretty huge with this pregnancy. I didn't
gain hardly a thing until I hit 7 months and then it all packed on.

Shameless Consumer

I'm keeping about half of all of our girl clothes. Just in case we have another we want to be prepared! We have so many outfits that we got two of when everybody heard it was twins, but I'm scared I'm going to jinx myself into having another pair of girls if I keep all of our twin stuff! It's silly, I know. rofl

@Epidurals: My spinal block wasn't too painful, and I didn't have any bad side effects from it. I hated my whole c-section though. I was in the throws of labor but still so sad when they came in to give us all our scrubs and take me back, I was doing so well and have no doubts I could've gone natural if my stubborn girls were positioned better. I'm SO hoping for a singleton during my surrogacy so that I can get a shot at a VBAC.

Nyatti
One thing that's kinda bugged me is that it is so hard to find onesies past the 9 month size, and I *love* onesies, especially for around the house. Also, since I babywear, I like that onesies don't bunch up when I wrap.

Carters has adorable onesies up to 12M size, they're expensive if you buy them from the brand store itself but places like Kohls and Sears often have them on sale for a really good price.

We find lots of boy t-shirts on sale at Target a lot too, so we'll let them run around the house in just a shirt.
Digital Fiend
It may be more likely for the second one, but it isn't too out there for the second to be smaller. My friend Kim has two daughters and the younger one is way smaller than her bigger sis.

It's less common for it to happen, but not completely unheard of. Often times, there's an underlying reason for a smaller second child.
Pandella
Sammiifayse
Pandella

Why are second babies bigger?

Mia was estimated to be only about six pounds but she came out 8lbs 7oz, hah!

The first baby does all the work stretching everything out. When the second baby comes along, the body already knows what it has to do, so it automatically stretches out to where the first baby got it to, so the second baby has more room from the very beginning, and then of course, they do their own stretching, so the next one is bigger again & so on.
Basically, they just teach your body where it's supposed to be, so it gets to that point faster.

Wow ;O;

Both amazing our bodies do that, and sad LOL. I got pretty huge with this pregnancy. I didn't
gain hardly a thing until I hit 7 months and then it all packed on.

I was 30wks before I looked pregnant. I'm tall (5'9 1/2) & relatively wide in the hips. I didn't really put on a lot of weight at all, 16kgs (35lbs) over all, and it was all Emmett. After I gave birth I weight exactly the same as I did before I was pregnant (once I factored in the 10lbs I lost in the 2nd week due to being stupidly sick).

Friendly Citizen

9,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

@Epidurals; My epidural was a godsend! I was so tired and exhausted from the lack of sleep because
of the hospitals poor planning and failure to listen to the fact that I was scheduled for an
induction for medical reasons. I was there waiting forever and didn't get a room until 5am the
next morning when I was supposed to have it at 10pm.

The epidural allowed me to sleep through my contractions and helped with my third degree
tearing I suppose when I was getting stitched up. I had no issues with it until after during PP
recovery when I still had back pain near the injection site.

Shima Shinji
I'm keeping about half of all of our girl clothes. Just in case we have another we want to be prepared! We have so many outfits that we got two of when everybody heard it was twins, but I'm scared I'm going to jinx myself into having another pair of girls if I keep all of our twin stuff! It's silly, I know. rofl

@Epidurals: My spinal block wasn't too painful, and I didn't have any bad side effects from it. I hated my whole c-section though. I was in the throws of labor but still so sad when they came in to give us all our scrubs and take me back, I was doing so well and have no doubts I could've gone natural if my stubborn girls were positioned better. I'm SO hoping for a singleton during my surrogacy so that I can get a shot at a VBAC.

Nyatti
One thing that's kinda bugged me is that it is so hard to find onesies past the 9 month size, and I *love* onesies, especially for around the house. Also, since I babywear, I like that onesies don't bunch up when I wrap.

Carters has adorable onesies up to 12M size, they're expensive if you buy them from the brand store itself but places like Kohls and Sears often have them on sale for a really good price.

We find lots of boy t-shirts on sale at Target a lot too, so we'll let them run around the house in just a shirt.

Emmett has a lot of Carters clothes, they're amazing!

OG Cutie-Pie

Shima Shinji

Nyatti

I need to check out Sears and Kohls, I always forget they exist. I found a package of plain white Carter's onesies that are 18 month size (they were almost hidden - it's like I'm not supposed to know larger onesies exist) at Target, but they were definitely pricier than I normally like. Four kids has made me a thrifty mama. sweatdrop

But you're totally right about the boys' shirts...I picked up several a couple days ago for about $2.50 each. I was thrilled.

Some of them were the layered shirt style:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And I like that, because if you get them a little big when it's still chilly out, then they'll still fit when summer comes, and I just cut the long sleeve part off, and ta-da, tshirt, totally acceptable for summer time. I live in hot hot hot Houston, so for me, spending a lot on winter clothes that only get used for a couple weeks isn't practical.
Oh god. I think Emmett's going to be just like his father. He just used his foam mat to jimmy open the cabinet...
Nyatti
Shima Shinji

Nyatti

I need to check out Sears and Kohls, I always forget they exist. I found a package of plain white Carter's onesies that are 18 month size (they were almost hidden - it's like I'm not supposed to know larger onesies exist) at Target, but they were definitely pricier than I normally like. Four kids has made me a thrifty mama. sweatdrop

But you're totally right about the boys' shirts...I picked up several a couple days ago for about $2.50 each. I was thrilled.

And I like that, because if you get them a little big when it's still chilly out, then they'll still fit when summer comes, and I just cut the long sleeve part off, and ta-da, tshirt, totally acceptable for summer time. I live in hot hot hot Houston, so for me, spending a lot on winter clothes that only get used for a couple weeks isn't practical.

I get so jealous of you guys in the US at times. The clothes you call expensive are still cheap to us.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
So, does anyone ever get bummed out because your partner's parents always say "S/he looks just like you did when you were their age!"

It happens all the time. William apparently has his daddy's eyes, ears, nose, mouth and facial expressions.

He has some of me too! He might have James' eye color, but he has my eye shape. His ears are detached like mine. He has my mouth because it goes down in a put, but James' lips.

I don't know, I feel annoyed whenever all I hear is "He looks just like James!"

I love my husband, and I'm glad that my son has his father's traits, but I'd like some recognition.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Omg speaking of- I recently went to gordmans and they have the CUTEST baby clothes ever! I soooo want to go shopping there but we're so broke lol

OG Cutie-Pie

Sammiifayse

I get so jealous of you guys in the US at times. The clothes you call expensive are still cheap to us.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'd do if I lived in a pricier country. I tend to live fairly frugally (I have areas I splurge, but usually I'm hunting clearance racks and resale shops), so I'd probably get a bit neurotic if I had less room to budget. D:

Shameless Consumer

Nyatti
Shima Shinji

Nyatti

They sell up to 3T of just plain white short sleeve onesies $8 for 4 online at Walmart, I think they have up to 12M in the stores, and they sell long sleeve ones for 6/$16 up to 18M online but I've never been able to find them in store. But it's only an extra dollar to ship them anyway! I like to buy off-season summer shirts and then just layer a white onesie under them. We live an hour and a half north of Austin, so we don't spend much on winter clothes either.
Digital Fiend
So, does anyone ever get bummed out because your partner's parents always say "S/he looks just like you did when you were their age!"

It happens all the time. William apparently has his daddy's eyes, ears, nose, mouth and facial expressions.

He has some of me too! He might have James' eye color, but he has my eye shape. His ears are detached like mine. He has my mouth because it goes down in a put, but James' lips.

I love my husband, and I'm glad that my son has his father's traits, but I'd like some recognition.

Oh I get so devastated about it. I've seen photos of Michael when he was the same age as Emmett and they're virtually identical. The only thing of mine Emmett has is his hair colour (and perhaps his nose now that it's starting to get a little more distinguished). Every time we see my MIL she just goes on and on about how she can see red in it (Michael was a flaming red head when he was born that softened into a strawberry blonde when he got older).
Yes, there is red flecked through Emmett's hair, but there's red, copper and auburn flecked all through mine as well. It's like she's trying to take the one thing of mine he has away from me. I have to do my best not to cry every time she does it.

OG Cutie-Pie

Digital Fiend

I feel you a bit. My youngest...people always say "he looks just like his dad" and yeah, there's a striking resemblance (especially when you see my husband's baby pics) but people overlook the fact that he's got my blue eyes and my eyebrows, and my complexion...there's a lot of things that are "me" but everyone only sees his dad. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff