Diaper caddy/changing table 0.014492753623188 1.4% [ 1 ]
Video monitor 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 3 ]
Other (please share!) 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 10 ]
...gold.... 0.3768115942029 37.7% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
This poll closed on July 9, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.

Frau Holda
These days it's easy to learn anything. There's always a video on YouTube. blaugh

I can crochet too...but I don't really like to. It makes my fingers ache and I don't think it's a very professional looking end-result (except for crocheted lace and doilies. Those look nice.) When I do something I want to do it well...and with crochet I just can't get that non-homemade look.

My mother crochets really well. There is so much I would ask her where she bought it (thinking it was new and just left out on the couch to show me) and she'd just indicate to the huge ball of wool at her feet xD
I could just never get it.
Sammiifayse
Frau Holda
These days it's easy to learn anything. There's always a video on YouTube. blaugh

I can crochet too...but I don't really like to. It makes my fingers ache and I don't think it's a very professional looking end-result (except for crocheted lace and doilies. Those look nice.) When I do something I want to do it well...and with crochet I just can't get that non-homemade look.

My mother crochets really well. There is so much I would ask her where she bought it (thinking it was new and just left out on the couch to show me) and she'd just indicate to the huge ball of wool at her feet xD

There's just something about the look that gets me. I donno.

My mom always made me clothes when I was a kid. I appreciate it and she's a very good seamstress....but it didn't look professional. Take something like jeans....I would never want a homemade pair of jeans. You just can't get the right look at home! Some of the seaming just isn't possible without a specialty machine that could handle heavy-weight denim.

I'm pretty particular about finishings on clothes. rofl Mum says I have a lot of patience to do things the way I do. lol Only with crafts! Not so much with other aspects of life.
Frau Holda
Sammiifayse
Frau Holda

There's just something about the look that gets me. I donno.

My mom always made me clothes when I was a kid. I appreciate it and she's a very good seamstress....but it didn't look professional. Take something like jeans....I would never want a homemade pair of jeans. You just can't get the right look at home! Some of the seaming just isn't possible without a specialty machine that could handle heavy-weight denim.

I'm pretty particular about finishings on clothes. rofl Mum says I have a lot of patience to do things the way I do. lol Only with crafts! Not so much with other aspects of life.

Yeah. I won't make Emmett's clothes for that very reason. I'm not much of a seamstress to begin with. I don't mind knitting a jumper here and there once I'm comfortable that they're good enough, but beyond that, I'd rather he just have bought clothes.
Sammiifayse

Yeah. I won't make Emmett's clothes for that very reason. I'm not much of a seamstress to begin with. I don't mind knitting a jumper here and there once I'm comfortable that they're good enough, but beyond that, I'd rather he just have bought clothes.

I make a lot of clothes for Dani since she wants long dresses and those are hard to come by (impossible when she wants a character on them that is generally marketed towards males). I have a walking foot for my machine that makes it possible to sew knits properly as well as a serger to finish of seams neatly. My mum didn't have those things so she pretty much always sewed with woven cottons which I don't particularly care for as clothing.

Shameless Consumer

The girls eat every 2-3 hours still. Breakfast at 8am, before nap snack at 10am, lunch at noonish,snack around 3, dinner at 5-5:30, and Stephanie still gets an 8oz bottle before bed. And she'll still wake up in the middle of the night for 6oz unless she's full to bursting before bed. I don't know what to do with that child!

Hilarious Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Regular 100
I've had an entrelac hat in the working for over a month now (I picked up other projects and mostly I'm just enjoying how easy it is to set down a crochet project whereas a knitting project can be ruined by two tugs of an eager little hand) I learned to crochet when my son was a month old, I had tried to learn when I was about 8 (all I learned was the chain) and again when I was pregnant, but I just couldn't catch on to it, when I was pregnant I got a touch of carpal tunnel, so that really put a damper on things. But, when he was about a month old, I picked the hook back up and I really love it! I don't like how the end product looks most of the time (I agree with Kim, it looks really homemade, which can be cute, but meh) but it is so smooth and comfortable to me. I like knitting when I need something to focus on but I like crocheting when I just want to watch the forums or something on TV. I taught myself both crochet and knitting from youtube videos, it is a great source! There hasn't been a thing I've encountered that I couldn't at least get the basics from a video online! Right now I'm working actively on a pair of leg warmers for Tobias since he prefers not to wear pants xp but it's chilly here. I think after I finish the commission and gift I'm working on I'll pick the hat back up
when did you guys start to introduce solids in babies diet my son is going to be 4 onths old in 2 weeks and most peole say 4 months old is when you do but my mother is saying that it too soon and will mess up his tummy and later on in life make him overweight question

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

My oldest we introduced solids at 6 months but she wasnt interested in them until 10 months. The AAP recommends exclusively breastfeeding for 6months. I assume formula is the same ( not sure which you do). Solid food is not needed the first year. Its just for fun and practice.

Interesting Poster

7,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
skylarsmama
when did you guys start to introduce solids in babies diet my son is going to be 4 onths old in 2 weeks and most peole say 4 months old is when you do but my mother is saying that it too soon and will mess up his tummy and later on in life make him overweight question

I started my son on baby food (half the stage 1 jar, once a day) at about 3 months 3 weeks old because of reflux, it helped him keep his formula down and gain weight.

Hilarious Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Regular 100
skylarsmama

I gave my son a taste of pureed sweet potatoes at 5 1/2 months, he seemed really interested but once he saw what all the fuss was about he wasn't interested anymore. He started eating solids (as in soft table foods) at about 7 months but wasn't interested in eating regular meals until he started daycare at 11 months. The WHO recommends the first six months be solely formula or breast nutrition. You shouldn't feed your baby solids if you aren't comfortable with it, maybe trying talking his doctor?

Dainty Doll

I waited until 6 months to introduce solids, too.
For all of the reasons stated here:

6 Reasons to Delay Solids
@ Babies/Food - I honestly can't remember for 3/4 of my kids because it was so long ago.
But for my Immy it was around five and a half months... I think.

@Knitting - I wish I could do something like that. I really don't have any patience for much.. so learning new skills like knitting is very hard. I like other creative things though because I seem to be okay/good at them without learning anything xd .

Shameless Consumer

skylarsmama

We started a few bites occasionally (like, a slice of grape once a day or so) at 5 1/2 months for Stephanie, and about a month later for Emily. You're not supposed to start decent amounts of solids until 6 months, with formula babies especially because they're not receiving additional enzymes from breastmilk. So even though it will make them feel full, they're lacking nutrients because their bodies can't break them down yet. It also puts them at increased risk of developing an allergy, because the protective mucus lining in their stomach isn't fully developed.
skylarsmama

6 months. They don't actually NEED it til after 12 months though, Mine we're interested til 9 months.

Sparkly Gekko

Frau Holda
Kalinka Windalf
I wish I could knit..

Hi Kim!

Hey! How are you, my dear? smile

I've been good. Not been around gaia much lately..not at all for anything other than roleplay for probably about a year or so. I dunno if I'll stick around or not. We'll see. How have you been?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff