Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Humorist

LouIou
GhostlyMark
she aaaalways undercooks it though

and its one of those passive aggressive relationships where if I say its undercooked it's taken as an insult so it's even more undercooked next time

...ew
I've learned not to comment on food cause the cook is too prideful. You say one thing that could make the taste better and they throw a fit...well in my experience it has happened this way

Invisible Humorist

Eizoryu
What I eat now is exponentially more varied than what I ate growing up. And in some of them, definitely healthier.
Hated vegetables as a kid. Green ones especially, and canned spinach was godawful. I prefer fresh or frozen veggies. Leafy greens have to be fresh whether I'm cooking them or not.

Some of the food we ate growing up was Japanese in origin, so yes, it did come from our heritage's culture. The recipe I have for sukiyaki is my paternal grandmother's recipe. But I know how to cook more Japanese meals than my parents do. I can make my own teriyaki sauce, for one, and make some lovely yakitori with it (not that yakitori is hard. It's literally just skewered chicken chunks that are grilled and salted, at their most basic). lol And I insist on finding/using ingredients like Mirin and rice vinegar; no substitutions if I can possibly help it.

Nowadays, as a parent myself, I have to keep our menu varied so my kids don't get into a rut and refuse to eat for either reason: They've picked it as their favorite, or have had it too often and gotten bored.

I need to try teriyaki chicken again. My middle school served it and I thought it was awful
I ate a pretty healthy diet growing up. Lots of lean meat, fruits, veggies and whole grains - home cooked dinner virtually every night.

My mom dislikes candy and over-processed foods. So, it was rare I got junk food at home. My sister and I baked sweets, though.

My dad is Spanish, so he liked to make different dishes from Spain. Though, we moved a lot and picked up a lot of different recipes from different cultures.I had a pretty good variety growing up, and I will try pretty much anything once.

And man, do I miss it. I still try and eat semi-healthy and home cooked now, but mainly I eat like a broke-a** college student with a shitty job.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
My family had the blandest food ever growing up. If we had cereal, it was plain mini-wheats or something. We weren't allowed to have what my mom considered "candy" cereals; chocolate cereal was something I didn't have until I was a teenager.
That's why I loved my brother's grandma's house: she'd get me gum and feed us Frosted Flakes and Apple Jacks and stuff.

For lunch I just had whatever school fed me. On weekends it was typically like a sandwich or something, I think.

(I really don't remember my childhood for the most part; I'm really struggling with this. Hopefully that excuses my lack of sureness.)

For dinner, we had either TV dinners or my mom's attempts to represent every food group with the worst possible examples of everything. It was like she took the idea that healthy food tastes bad as a prescriptive law rather than a descriptive statement.

There was like a week where my mom fed us nothing but McDonald's, though, because she wanted the Beanie Babies they were selling.

My dad was a better cook; sometimes he barbecued and I'm pretty sure he cooked at the fire station sometimes. He made this rattlesnake pasta that was really good (disclaimer: it contained no rattlesnakes).

----

Nowadays I eat tasty foods that don't suck, like curry and jambalaya. Italian and Japanese foods are my favorite. I also eat sweet cereals (although I do like plain Chex) and have candy and donuts whenever I want because I'm an adult and you can't stop me.

Shameless Hoarder

22,750 Points
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • I Voted! 25
Yeah, they fed us good. I still eat everything they've fed me. The only difference I can think of is when they used to feed me steak, I hated it.

But then I found out you can get it medium-RARE. Aka, SOFTER and not tough as s**t to chew.

Ironically enough, I'm the only one in my family who would eat well now. Mom was eating nothing but pastries for a few years, but now she literally lives off oatmeal and lunchables.

My sister eats like crap, but mostly because her husband wasn't raised right and was never forced to eat his vegetables. Or fruit. Or most meat. Or anything really. I'm wondering if they fed him fast food all his life. Seriously. He'll eat corn and potatoes. I haven't been able to note down any other absolute.

If I had my way, and money, I would eat well balanced meals. I get antsy if someone cooks me a meal without a veggie. Or if I go a day without any type of meat. XD

Fuzzy Kitten

I live in the south and have dived into the buttery, salty, fried goodness. My mom is from Kentucky and my dad is from Maine, but we didn't eat southern food. I fry chicken, okra, salmon, taters, lots of stuff. Of course, I get fresh vegetables from the locals and I pick wild blackberries. I would much rather eat a bowl of strawberries than a bag of chips. I try to not keep junk food in the pantry like it was at my parents house.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
My mother didn't feed us particularly healthy food growing up. Most of it was a lot of junkfood (mac n' cheese, pizza, corndogs, cheesy skillet etc.) because my younger siblings wouldn't eat anything else. There would be sides of peas and carrots and stuff, but nothing too great. I made half-assed attempts to eat healthier myself as I got older.

Then I ended up in the emergency room because of diabetic ketoacidosis. Turns out I had juvenile diabetes (which is an auto-immune disorder and not caused by eating habits), so I had to really focus on changing my diet to make it healthier. I honestly am making a lot of better choices than I did before.

Original Shoujo

GhostlyMark
Assuming your parents weren't jackasses, I'm sure you were all fed whatever your parents gave you.
How is the food you eat now compared to the food you were fed as a child? Better? healthier? worse?
Did the food your parents feed you come from their culture?

my parents actually enjoyed many different cuisines.I was taught to cook at a young age and I often cooked the food for the family since I was six years old.even if it was food I didn't like.I was never really picky but I was somewhat picky as a child. I didn't like olives for example.the food we ate at home was mostly French, Italian, Spanish, Greek or Chinese. Christmas/New years (my family isn't Christian) was along the lines of champagne and sushi and finger foods.

my boyfriends have always decided what I eat after my parents.I haven't been single for long periods of time at once but when I am and there's no one to tell me what to eat I...eat randomly I guess? Like I eat the same foods I ate with my ex bf more or less. but also sweets whenever I want.probably too much haha.I eat sweets every single day when no one tells me not to.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Where I lived tacos were poor man's food, so naturally we had them 3-4 days a week. I can only have them once every month or so now.

Interesting Noob

5,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Hygienic 200
Yes, It´s healthy, I haven´t lived on my own so i don´t know how I´ll cook when I do but in my mom´s house it´s healthy food. My dad used to be a better cook but he isn´t alive anymore so my mom usually does the cooking. (I can cook too but I´m very lazy. However, yesterday I had to make meatballs and they weren´t so bad. I´m not a bad cook but I find it hard to get interested in anything including cooking since that´s part of my illness) Today my mom´s not at home. i want to make baked chicken with cooked potatoes and a lettuce salad but my brother prefers pizza. I don´t know what I´m going to do. rolleyes it probably will be pizza.
Bland italian/american food with ground hamburger in everything. So like, hamburger helper, hamburgers, lasagna, spaghetti bolognese, etc - pretty ********' gross. The texture of that cheap ground beef made me want to gag, I hated it. My mom also liked hashbrowns - any bland potato anything, actually - and slimy-bland chicken soup, s**t was like drinking drool.

On my own I'll still have a fast food burger once every hundred years or so, but generally I avoid ground beef, especially in casseroles & s**t like that like the plague. Asian & indian foods are my favorites, their spices (especially in thai food) are delicious.
boob jiggle
My parents are very basic food wise. I was reminded how awful it was recently when I went to stay with them for a couple of weeks. Everything is meat and potatoes. Like every meal is 90% meat 10% potatoes.

And the meat they do cook is s**t. And everything is baked.

Mine too! So much ew.

Magical Tree

When I was little, my parents tried to get me to eat vegetables. I wasn't a fan. Cooked were fine, but raw were out of the question. I always ate homecooked food so even if I wasn't eating a ton of veggies, it was still quite healthy food.

It took 15 years before I really started eating raw vegetables, and fruit, oh gosh, I still have issues with fruit. LOL. But I eat a lot more healthy foods now.

Invisible Humorist

Foxydoe
Bland italian/american food with ground hamburger in everything. So like, hamburger helper, hamburgers, lasagna, spaghetti bolognese, etc - pretty ********' gross. The texture of that cheap ground beef made me want to gag, I hated it. My mom also liked hashbrowns - any bland potato anything, actually - and slimy-bland chicken soup, s**t was like drinking drool.

On my own I'll still have a fast food burger once every hundred years or so, but generally I avoid ground beef, especially in casseroles & s**t like that like the plague. Asian & indian foods are my favorites, their spices (especially in thai food) are delicious.

All my life my mom has bought those Oscar Myer bologna meat circle things for times I wanted to make a sandwich....I hate them so much. To this day I've never had authentic ham in my home

Invisible Humorist

SDPlus von CT
GhostlyMark
Assuming your parents weren't jackasses, I'm sure you were all fed whatever your parents gave you.
How is the food you eat now compared to the food you were fed as a child? Better? healthier? worse?
Did the food your parents feed you come from their culture?

my parents actually enjoyed many different cuisines.I was taught to cook at a young age and I often cooked the food for the family since I was six years old.even if it was food I didn't like.I was never really picky but I was somewhat picky as a child. I didn't like olives for example.the food we ate at home was mostly French, Italian, Spanish, Greek or Chinese. Christmas/New years (my family isn't Christian) was along the lines of champagne and sushi and finger foods.

my boyfriends have always decided what I eat after my parents.I haven't been single for long periods of time at once but when I am and there's no one to tell me what to eat I...eat randomly I guess? Like I eat the same foods I ate with my ex bf more or less. but also sweets whenever I want.probably too much haha.I eat sweets every single day when no one tells me not to.

There was never a day where you didn't want to eat whatever your boyfriend wanted to eat?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff