Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't know much about it, but it seems to be full of hypocrisy. A lot of the women who claim to be apart of the movement are the same ones spreading around the mentality "bones are for dogs, meat is for real men." Yet they say they want acceptance for all body types.

It also points out a glaring double standard when it comes to males. 2 quotes I found put it nicely:

-If a woman doesn't date short guys, that's okay because that's a preference. But if a man doesn't date obese girls, he's shallow.
-The irony is short guys can't do anything to change it; fat people can improve their circumstance.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

-Do you notice the glaring hypocrisy?
-Any thoughts to add?
However, this isn't a thread to state your opinion on body types.
-No one cares about how you are apart of the movement but aren't like that. You are not the type of person being discussed here. That also goes for all the ones who want to say, "BUt NOT EVERYONE IN the MOVemnt iS LIKE thAt
sad mad "
Quote:
fat people can improve their circumstance.

That's not always a reality, I just wanted to point that out to you if you have not realized this already.

I have to agree with you, about not knowing much about it, because everyone around me is of average, height, weight, and size. No one is over or underweight. From what little of this I have seen I don't think it's healthy because being overweight isn't good for you. From what I know they're not advocating for the girls that are curvy but those curves are healthy, they're just being fat and wanting everyone else to be okay with it. I feel that if your a little more curvy or have a few extra pounds and are proud of how you look then by all means be proud. If you are obese, morbidly obese, or at risk of obesity then it's not okay to be advocating that being fat is good for you.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
It's just like anything. People get angry over something trivial and blame each other, spitting venom back and forth like lizards. Doesn't matter what it's over. We fight because we hate each other. It's that simple. We were going to fight over something. Might as well be this, I suppose.
Raven Winter
It's just like anything. People get angry over something trivial and blame each other, spitting venom back and forth like lizards. Doesn't matter what it's over. We fight because we hate each other. It's that simple. We were going to fight over something. Might as well be this, I suppose.

It is an improvement over all the I HATE FEMINISTS posts, no?
::lol rofl

Sugary Cat

I have been called a sack of bones and anorexic by my former friend (obviously I broke off our friendship because of this, she emitted jealousy all over the place). I have nothing against fatter people. I just wish they would stop complaining about their weight and do something about it if it bothers them.

Sure it's not easy, but weight is one of those things that you can change. I had a BMI of 16, now it's 19. It's difficult, but if you're dedicated you can change.
Everything would be better if people just stopped giving a s**t what others think. There will always be something someone doesn't like about you. They shouldn't have to like you. I don't care about one's size. They shouldn't care what I think anyway. If someone isn't attracted to you, whatever the reason, they shouldn't be insulted for it.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Stale Taste
Raven Winter

It is an improvement over all the I HATE FEMINISTS posts, no?
::lol rofl

Same thing, really.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
I've said stuff like that, but that's because I have to have a defense mechanism against my mom and grandma, who have unrealistic standards of what women should look like (a standard they say looks good on everyone, but for me, would make me sick and land me in the hospital). I feel that I have to, for the fact that I have been getting these influences from women around me (who aren't teeny weeny either, and have developed eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, orthorexia, exercise bulimia) to compensate). I don't want to go out in the world and get slammed further for being bigger, when I have a functioning body (I don't have diabetes or heart problems, I can walk, I eat moderately healthy) and treated like all they think I do is sit at home and eat twinkies and can't get off a couch without support. nobody would call me obese (except for the toxic women in my life) by looking at me.

I do think there's a difference between saying it because you have a bigger build (which is why I do it), and someone who's morbidly obese and needing to get around in a rascal to say it. There's a point where you're abusing it.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm gonna stop y'all right there. If people would keep their mouths shut about their opinions of a fat body, there would never have been a need for this. I think shaming of any kind is shitty and shouldn't be done, but the fact of the matter is skinny shaming came about because people think fat shaming is okay, and quite frankly, fat people are ******** sick of it.

"Don't just complain about it, do something about it!" "You can change it!" etc

Not always. For some people, being fat is just a part of their genetics. And no, it isn't always unhealthy. Just being fat raises the risks of some things, but if you look after yourself, you're going to be okay. I'm fat, and aside from some diseases I was born with, and one that led to my weight gain (it can't really be cured, only managed), I'm perfectly healthy. I eat right and exercise daily because simply put, it's good for me. It's good for anyone. If I have to be fat, I'm going to be ******** healthy.

But losing weight is just not something my body can do very well, even when I was trying to limit myself to under 300 calories a day (counting things like toothpaste and a vitamin, it was godawful) and trying to burn several times that, I was just getting really sick, and I wasn't losing weight at all. The only good thing that came out of it was that we found out I had insulin resistance, which is what made me gain weight and makes it so hard to lose it.

And to be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have to change your body by losing weight because SOMEONE ELSE is unhappy with it. Yes, I can change it, but a lot of people don't stop being assholes for me, so I don't see why I should have to lose weight for them.

Just because someone is fat, does not mean they are unhealthy and just because a person is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy. They are not the same thing. A fat person can be healthy just as much as a skinny person can be a junk food binging couch potato.

Obese also is not synonymous with fat. Obese is a medical condition where you become so fat and so unhealthy that you cannot function properly in your daily life. Just because someone is fat, does not mean they are obese.

Yes, skinny shaming sucks. And all you skinny people have probably been made fun of, and yes, you can hate your body. When I was skinny I was teased and people had some good jabs at me, and I hated my body. But you know what? Society didn't. Society as a whole didn't tell me my body was ugly and disgusting and something to be ashamed of.

Society put my skinny, 108lbs frame on a pedestal because it was the "ideal" body type. As a skinny person, when you're shamed, you can go home at the end of the day knowing your body is accepted as the norm. Fat people don't get that. They're made fun of all day, and then have to go home while society treats you like the plague.

No one's body type should be shamed, but "skinny shaming" was born out of fat shaming and a need to say "I'm still beautiful". Skinny shaming is a really shitty way to go about it, and I don't condone it because being shamed and made fun of feels like s**t, regardless of what it is, but there are reasons for it and they can't be ignored.

The true body positivity movement doesn't promote unhealthy lifestyles simply by saying "being fat is okay". "Being fat is okay" is NOT the same thing as "being unhealthy and eating yourself to death and never moving is okay". It's not the same thing.

The true body positivity movement is about loving yourself regardless of the skin you're in, promoting taking care of yourself and good self-esteem. It's about teaching people to love themselves as they are and teaching others to not be so goddamn ignorant and shitty and ending unrealistic body standards, and fatphobia (which yes, is very much a thing, as this thread is only evidence of).

But as with anything, some people get out of hand and miss the ******** point.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Holy s**t, people are being hypocritical? Tell me more.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
WalmartIsGarbage
Fat acceptance would be very bad. Being overweight is bad for your health... it can cause heart attack, stroke, etc.

If anything, there should be an only eat fruits and vegetables movement.

Sadly, for many reasons, the average American eats unhealthy. People want to eat and drink things that taste good, even if those things are bad for your body.

Eat right, exercise, and ******** die anyway.
i was recently in a relationship with a girl who perhaps many people might call "fat". but i never saw her that way, never even thought of her that way. the way people define beauty in this world is corrupted, its a simple fact, and it will always be that way as unfortunate as that may sound.

i fell completely in love with her. her size doesnt matter to me, her personality does. i dont even see her size as a contributing factor, yet she is so negative about herself.

shes absolutely beautiful, and i love her body just as it is. yet now shes with someone who seemingly wants her to improve that about herself. i never even thought it was something that needed to be improved. i love her just the way she is.

and me, im between skinny & average i suppose, i got abs even though i never work out... fast metabolism. unfortunately there will always be people who dont or wont accept it, for they are fool-hearted, weak-minded people who have no conceptual understanding of compassion or kindness.

its like making a movement for peace, there will always be people who want war, becuz they are broken and they dont know much less try to fix themselves, nor does anyone else know, though they might try. this world, unfortunately, will always be broken... there will always be people wandering into the darkness, into anger & hatred & fear... into corruption.

the most anyone can do, is embrace the kindness in their own hearts, if they can manage to maintain a strong enough will to never let anyone break them away from it. it comes down to a matter of which side each individual person chooses to hold on to... the light or the dark, the right or the wrong, the good or the bad.

certainly, foolish children talking like gangsters, disrespecting others and all such as they do... is a common highly influential attitude these days. teaches boys to never become men by learning what it means to be respectful to women, all that rap music they listen to that degrades women.

thee unfortunate truth is, true hearts are a rare thing in todays world. such as a true heart to always be kind, loyal, honest, respectful... not qualities ive seen in most people, and not stable qualities if any one person has them.

for someone who can be kind, can also be unkind... that should never be how the heart works.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff