Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Loiterer

I hadn't even heard about this until today when I asked my Sociology professor what her pin meant. Apparently Denim Day is supported every third Wednesday of April. Here's some info on it:

Quote:
HISTORY

Italy, 1990s

An 18-year old girl is picked up by her married 45-year old driving instructor for her very first lesson. He takes her to an isolated road, pulls her out of the car, wrestles her out of one leg of her jeans and forcefully rapes her. Threatened with death if she tells anyone, he makes her drive the car home. Later that night she tells her parents, and they help and support her to press charges. The perpetrator gets arrested and is prosecuted. He is convicted of rape and sentenced to jail.

He appeals the sentence. The case makes it’s all the way to the Italian Supreme Court. Within a matter of days the case against the driving instructor is overturned, dismissed, and the perpetrator released. In a statement by the Chief Judge, he argued, “because the victim wore very, very tight jeans, she had to help him remove them, and by removing the jeans it was no longer rape but consensual sex.”

Enraged by the verdict, within a matter of hours the women in the Italian Parliament launched into immediate action and protested by wearing jeans to work. This call to action motivated and emboldened the California Senate and Assembly to do the same, which in turn spread to Patricia Giggans, Executive Director of Peace Over Violence, and Denim Day in LA was born. The first Denim Day in LA was in April 1999, and has continued every year since.

********...?

I get this was years ago, but that mentality makes me scratch my head in confusion.
Discuss:
So LD, what do you think of this?
I wouldn't be surprised if there are those who still think this way, have you known or met anyone with this kind of mentality?

-add anything else that's relevant. Idc.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Rape cases are notoriously prone to bullshit.

Lavish Loiterer

Raven Winter
Indeed.
Most of the time I just watch marathons of Law & Order SVU and my reactions are typically:

[********]

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Mae Lovelyn
Raven Winter
Indeed.
Most of the time I just watch marathons of Law & Order SVU and my reactions are typically:

[********]
I dunno how accurate a representation the show actually is, but that's pretty much what it's like to watch it.

Invisible Humorist

I was wearing jeans today..
I don't even know what to say about it, really. It enrages me. Not only should recognizing a 'no' be important to know, be it physically or another verbal way to say no. Everyone should practice recognizing consent.

It's just as ridiculous as people claiming a guy wasn't raped because he was erect and ejaculated.
My boyfriend was raped by a girl and she assumed that he wanted it because he was erect despite clearly expressing that he did not want it.

No one really knows how they're going to react to that kind of situation until it happens and for some people it feels safer to go along with it because the person could still force you down, hurt you, or possibly even kill you. And that's not a sign of weakness, either.

XNevermoreX's Husbando

Obsessive Enthusiast

Rape is always a topic that infuriated me considering the bullshit responses.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Oh, I thought this was about people trying to revive denim jackets or something.
My mistake.

Lavish Loiterer

Toxilicks
Oh, I thought this was about people trying to revive denim jackets or something.
My mistake.
-pats-
'tis very misleading, I know.

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
I thought this was going to be about wearing Canadian tuxedos. emo

Dangerous Kitten

Yah, that would ******** you up I'm sure. I had to do jury duty for a rape case almost 3 years ago exactly. It was ******** up.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Pink Plaid
I thought this was going to be about wearing Canadian tuxedos. emo

I need an image of this

Sugary Cat

It's Italy, in the 90's... does this really surprise anyone?

Dapper Reveler

I wear jeans everyday tho

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas