Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clever Goat

I had to take a math class designed primarily for Chemistry and Computer Science majors even though I was a Music major. Because I scored well in math on my ACT and my adviser was a ********. I was also a naive freshman who believed my adviser knew what was best for my academic plan. lololololol.

My senior year I also had to take a "theology and ethics" class, which based on the course description was going to be an overview of many of the main religions. Nope. It was all convoluted Christianity and how even having questions about other religions would make you burn.

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
In high school I took personal finance because I thought it'd be useful.

Absolutely terrible, unrealistic advice taught by an ultra-conservative old hag who segregated the class by gender. We spent over two weeks writing checks, including playing Monopoly with checks and balances (over ten hours of class time to finish one damn game), I s**t you not. She had no idea what the app Mint is or how to manage finances online. She didn't know the difference between a debit and credit card, declaring both evil and irresponsible. Fortunately my family resides in the 21st century and taught my husband and I how to set up direct deposits/withdraws for bills and paychecks whilst organizing our finances monthly via Excel, or else I'd spend an entire day writing out checks to companies and recording it by hand like my in-laws. And yes, I can still function without a computer or internet connection, thanks. I can even count back change correctly, manage invoices, and process money orders by golly!

In college...hm, I don't know, probably Shakespeare as an elective credit. It wasn't relevant for my major but the instructor was interesting and well-traveled. He had a lot of stories, photos, and videos from places Shakespeare lived and wrote about. Much of the class was self-directed so we spent a good portion of lectures chatting about how Shakespeare has influenced modern vernacular, literature and film.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
every class necessary to pass GE (not GED) breadth requirements that's required of all university graduates.

Though I've also taken some classes unrelated to my major out of pure interest.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
College Skills or something like that. So dumb. They took all the things everyone already understands about college, stretched them across a semester of full-length classes, and charged you money for it.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I had to take a lot of weird classes. Like a writing class, we did long research essays on fictional short stories? It was mandatory for my nursing degree, it seemed strange to me.

I took a lot of weird classes just because, too, though. Like a lot of history classes. And astronomy, which was really cool. And statistics, which was not so cool.

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
Toki Bird
Pink Plaid
I had to take a global citizenship class which is basically a don't be a racist d**k class.

that sounds worse than womens studies.
I would of preferred a woman's studies class.

Anxious Unicorn

11,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Mega Tipsy 100
This is my schedule this year:

Mime
Movement
Analysis of movement
Acrobatics
Voice.

Luv it

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
My college has a whole core curriculum that's required for graduation. I've had to all sorts of classes that have nothing to do with my major. The worse was math, which I hate and I suck at. A close second is French; I really wish I'd taken an easier language. Third was definitely astronomy; there was so much math in that. After this semester, my core stuff will be complete, if I can manage to make it through French.

Tipsy Kitten

Raven Winter
College Skills or something like that. So dumb. They took all the things everyone already understands about college, stretched them across a semester of full-length classes, and charged you money for it.

Youd think that if you were studying "________" they'd give you a discount on classes that don't actually count towards your major.
However that's the reason I went to a JC... I did all my GE requirements for free

Sparkly Fatcat

12,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Megathread 100

Gen Eds can be really awful - especially if your professor is bad. I haven't had many experiences because for most of my Gen Eds, I took some pretty neat classes and the more boring ones I took with my boyfriend. I'm an environmental studies major with a concentration in geography but I've taken three philosophy classes, two sociology, an art history, an anthropology, and now I'm in a horrid political science class. In the end though, even if anthro was boring and art history was a pain, I'm glad I took them. I got something from them and I don't regret it.
College, that's interesting stuff. Higher education is useful if it's necessary to do what you want to forever. Otherwise, why go if you're working boringly for money?

Demonic Enabler

17,700 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
My university only required four classes unrelated to your major in humanities. Two in social science and two in art appreciation and creative participation. I only need one more art appreciation/creative class... so I'm going to take a ceramics class. I took a Geography,sociology, and art history class. I liked geography because of the professor. Sociology and art history were boring as ********. I'm not taking any others outside of my major/math/comp sci anymore.

Magical Tree

i went to a liberal arts school.

that means you have to take classes in tons of areas, many of which aren't directly applicable to your field of study.

Fashionable Shopper

I hated most of the general education courses. The worst is that most didn't tekk me that as long as it says GQ then it counts as 'math'. I was a journalism major and spent most of my time in math. I hated math and i still avoid it like the plague. Fortunately I got into a database class which was an easy and useless class. It served it's purpose of being useless and reducing stress from math for me.

Liberal Receiver

When I went to college, there was pretty much a "how to college" class. I can't remember the name of it, but by and large I just never paid attention and read the books of my actually relevant classes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff